Multi Engine Time Building

Arrow Flyer

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Arrow Flyer
Hi,

I'm trying to find a multi engine piston airplane for 30 hours time building.

I'm a UK pilot (Commercial, Multi, Instrument) flying the 737-800 for a day job. Total time around 2800 hours. The plan (after COVID) is to fly in the US on a 61.75 validation and take the Instrument Foreign Pilot written so I can use my IR.

The best deal I've found so far is with Plus One Flyers in San Diego, $260/hour for a Beech Duchess with built in insurance. California to Florida and back via Texas looks like a good trip.

I don't want to miss any other opportunities, and this forum is the best place to ask! I'll go anywhere within ~1 hour of an international airport accessible from London. I've flown Seneca/DA42/Twin Comanche in the past. An autopilot and GTN650 would be nice to have.

Thanks for your advice..

Is that $260 an hour wet?

there is a group in Saint Louis www.flytwins.com that is using a 310 at $250 an hour dry. Their site used to more openly promote a time building option. It might be worth giving them a ring.

Plus One Flyers is a club, though, isn't it? Like with initiation fees and monthly dues and such.

That said, $260/hr is pretty much around the lowest you'll find, assuming it's a wet rate.

But I really want to know more - why does a 737 pilot need to build 30 hours in a light twin?

Is that $260 an hour wet?

Yes, that's wet.

Plus One Flyers is a club, though, isn't it? Like with initiation fees and monthly dues and such. But I really want to know more - why does a 737 pilot need to build 30 hours in a light twin?

You're right but even with the initiation fee and a month's dues, it's a good deal.

Away from the 737 I'm a Flight Instructor/Flight Examiner wanting to progress into multi engine instruction. To do that, I need 30 hours PIC on an MEL. I didn't build any multi engine time because in Europe there's no requirement to do that before getting a multi pilot type rating.

I was confused why you needed 30 hours in a light twin when you were already flying 737s. But it is the PIC thing that is the issue. Seems like they would make an exception in this case but I guess “rules is rules”.

Sorry, should have made that clearer. "The rules" say the same class or type so none of the turbine multi engine time counts.

Rules are had to understand. Allow me a very odd question. Do you need to get a MEL rating as well? Or just time building?

Do you have what you need go get a CFI in the US, or are you working on that as well?

"I didn't build any multi engine time because in Europe there's no requirement to do that before getting a multi pilot type rating."

You got a multi pilot rating without any multi engine time?

I've got an MEL and multi engine instrument, so only need the time building.

I could convert my FI to a CFI, but have no need for that right now.

We get a multi engine piston rating then a multi engine instrument, but it's all done "under tuition". So none of that time is countable towards the 30 hours either.

Hi,

I'm trying to find a multi engine piston airplane for 30 hours time building.

I'm a UK pilot (Commercial, Multi, Instrument) flying the 737-800 for a day job. Total time around 2800 hours. The plan (after COVID) is to fly in the US on a 61.75 validation and take the Instrument Foreign Pilot written so I can use my IR.

The best deal I've found so far is with Plus One Flyers in San Diego, $260/hour for a Beech Duchess with built in insurance. California to Florida and back via Texas looks like a good trip.

I don't want to miss any other opportunities, and this forum is the best place to ask! I'll go anywhere within ~1 hour of an international airport accessible from London. I've flown Seneca/DA42/Twin Comanche in the past. An autopilot and GTN650 would be nice to have.

Thanks for your advice..
http://angelaviation.com/aircraft/time-building/

Piper Seneca II or III (they have both) for $285/hour wet incl. instructor.

Are you looking for a crash course to get all the hours done in one or two weeks? I’m assuming you don’t need a CFI to be with you as you already have the multi rating.

If you’re getting it done in one shot you might pick a place and a time of year for consistent good weather. Avoid Wisconsin in the winter LOL

When talking to a rental place you could probably negotiate a discount as you’re buying a packet of 30 hours.

Definitely a crash course, planning to fly it all in a week with a few days buffer. I don't need a CFI with me, but that seems like a requirement in some places.

Thanks for the weather advice. I've been drenched by more than one thunderstorm in Florida!

I've got an MEL and multi engine instrument, so only need the time building.

I could convert my FI to a CFI, but have no need for that right now.

We get a multi engine piston rating then a multi engine instrument, but it's all done "under tuition". So none of that time is countable towards the 30 hours either.
What is the 30-hour requirement for?

In Europe, in order to be a multi engine instructor, you need to have 30 hours PIC on the applicable class or type. I've got multi time on piston (but not PIC), and turbine (not "class or type"), but neither is allowable for this purpose.

Why's there's a difference between piston and turbine multi engine I don't know, nor why 30 is the magic number, but the rules are the rules. The more I read about the FAA system the more I like it..

You could always dump a bunch of cash into buying a cheap twin, fly it to build time, then sell it. But that’s risky from a financial standpoint (not being able to resell easy or unplanned maintenance) and safety standpoint (if it’s that cheap, why?). Can work with more in-demand planes (like a C172) but probably not as easy with a twin. However, if successfully done it might be way cheaper per hour when your all done. You’d have to crunch the numbers. Maybe lease one for a month. I understand insurance and liability concerns abound, but just offering something to think about.

You could always dump a bunch of cash into buying a cheap twin, fly it to build time, then sell it. But that’s risky from a financial standpoint (not being able to resell easy or unplanned maintenance) and safety standpoint (if it’s that cheap, why?). Can work with more in-demand planes (like a C172) but probably not as easy with a twin. However, if successfully done it might be way cheaper per hour when your all done. You’d have to crunch the numbers. Maybe lease one for a month. I understand insurance and liability concerns abound, but just offering something to think about.

That seems like a whole lot of effort and risk to just fly the 30 hours he or she needs. Renting, that can be done for less than $10k, which is essentially the maximum downside risk. Even buying the cheapest twin you can find you are going to have unrecoverable costs of prebuy and insurance, possibly sales tax, etc., let alone maintenance and the risk of major damage or repairs necessary. Maximum downside risk is the value of the airplane.

Need to build a couple of hundred hours? Then sure, buying might make sense. But for 30 hours which is going to get done in a week? I just can't see that making sense.

That seems like a whole lot of effort and risk to just fly the 30 hours he or she needs. Renting, that can be done for less than $10k, which is essentially the maximum downside risk. Even buying the cheapest twin you can find you are going to have unrecoverable costs of prebuy and insurance, possibly sales tax, etc., let alone maintenance and the risk of major damage or repairs necessary. Maximum downside risk is the value of the airplane.

Need to build a couple of hundred hours? Then sure, buying might make sense. But for 30 hours which is going to get done in a week? I just can't see that making sense.

good points and true. Wasn’t focused much on the ‘only 30 hours’ part. Go rent anything then for the $8K-$10K adventure. Don’t prepay or the plane will break down. Fly a little each day. Make it a 10-day journey/vacation.

I've sent some emails out, thanks again for the advice. It's thrown up more options.

I'm sure I'll be back asking for route advice soon. AirNav + Foreflight is working so far!

Last edited:
Billy is a great guy, retired Navy P3 pilot. Now he is the chief pilot for the 141 associated with the local community college. He does tail wheel training and time building in his travel air on the side.

one downside is that he is only available on weekends. doesn't afford a whole lot of flexibility, especially if the OP is trying to jam it in in a week or so.

one downside is that he is only available on weekends. doesn't afford a whole lot of flexibility, especially if the OP is trying to jam it in in a week or so.

Could probably do 30 hours in two weekends on a couple of sightseeing cross-country round trips maybe?

Might be able to get a block rate if you tell them you intend on knocking out 30hours. I wouldn't be prepaying it necessarily, but you could probably get a slightly lower rate if you tell them you're wanting to log a bunch of hours in short succession.

Just another option. Just outside Chicago.
Multi-Engine Rating | Illinois Aviation Academy

MULTI-ENGINE COURSE RATES

Pricing

10 hours flight instruction in Multi-engine aircraft @ $375

$3,750

10 hours of ground instruction @ $85

$850

Final Exam fees

$1,000

Related books and materials

$330

Estimated Total

$5,930

Vector Air at Erie Municipal (KEIK) (30 minutes from Denver International) has a BE-76 for $225/hr wet.

Vector Air at Erie Municipal (KEIK) (30 minutes from Denver International) has a BE-76 for $225/hr wet.

That's probably the best deal you'll find. How much time in a twin Comanche?

What is your time frame for this?

Yeah $225 is good and the airplane has good equipment. Waiting to hear what they say.

About 3 hours on a Twin Com, I do my MEL and Instrument revalidations on one.

By the time these COVID restrictions are lifted it will probably be August/September/October. Right now we're still barred from entering the US.

Back