Passed my IFR checkride!

mx5fanatic

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
mx5fanatic
Hello all.

I am a long time lurker on PoA and this is my first post. Passed my IFR checkride on 8 February at KMYF. Here is my write up of my checkride!

My experience with my DPE was nothing short of fantastic. He is very good at setting your mind at ease and letting you know his expectations of you up front. We met and exchanged some pleasantries, and shared our backgrounds.

Then we went through our required documentation and showed him my ID, my medical certificate, my logbook and my endorsements. We then finished the IACRA application.

He started by suggesting we start through the PAVE checklist. I told him that was how my binder was organized and he was pleased with that. We started with the Pilot portion of the PAVE checklist. I explained we already established my credentials and that I had accrued the hours necessary to take the IRA test. He agreed. We went onto currency.

I explained the requirements to be VFR current (current flight review, the 3 take offs and landings every 90 days, and full stop at night.) and explained I was current in both day and night VFR. Then we moved onto IFR currency and I explained 6 HITTS and he was pleased with the explanation.

We had a brief discussion of currency versus proficiency. This concluded the Pilot section.

Airplane.

Our airplane was a 1979 Cessna 172N, very nicely equipped with dual Garmin G5's, a Garmin 650, GTX-335 transponder, KX-155 and EDM-900 engine monitor.

This was the fastest section we went through.I showed him the logbooks and showed each inspection which met the AV1ATES requirements and went through the AD’s. We did not get into discussion about systems.

enViroment

He led this by asking me where I had planned my flight to. I had stated KSBA as it was a destination I have been with my dad a few times and would love to go to again. He stated that was a good reason.

I then discussing the weight and balance and take off performance from KMYF, which showed that we would be able to safely make the take off.

We went through 91.103 NWKRAFT one at a time. I had forgotten to print a copy of the landing weight and balance. I offered to go get my computer to show him but he told me that was fine, he was satisfied with my performance calculations.

For the departure, we discussed the runway lengths, ODP and Departure notams. I then explained I had used the Foreflight route advisor and that the route we would be flying was a TEC Route. We then went into fuel requirements to get to the alternate as well as fuel requirements for the flight.

We then reviewed the approach I would use into SBA. I read him the applicable notams increasing the MDA for the LOC/GPS 25 approach and said it would apply to our approach, so use the 1000 MDA and not the charted 920.

He then gave me lost comms scenarios.

Cleared KSBA
Runway heading vectors to OCN then as filed

4,000 expected 6,000
125 (purposely gave me the wrong frequency)

(First time under VFR Conditions, second scenario in IMC Conditions)

Once I figured out the wrong frequency, I said I would try tower again. He then stated they would give me the correct frequency. What happens then if that still doesn’t work. After reviewing 91.185 lost comms procedures, I said I would squawk 7600 and land back at MYF with light gun signals. He agreed this was reasonable.

Now with IMC conditions, this was trickier. The answer lies again in 91.185 (3) ii). I eventually figured this out with regards to the clearance limit and time. What would I do if it was after my ETA? Proceed to an approach fix to start the approach, not the clearance limit.

I then had to figure out how to get to my alternate Oxnard from SBA. I ended up figuring out it was best to go to a VOR approach. I learned it is best to study the avenues from your first intended landing to your alternate.

Flight

He told me that I could choose what approaches we would do. He wanted to see two non-precision and one precision, as well as a hold. I told him I wanted to do the north course and he was fine with that. I thought it would be a good approach to show my skills.

He went to the restroom, I then preflighted the airplane. It was basically full of gas and at 5 qts which was perfect. After we pulled the airplane onto the centerline, I reviewed the weather. OKB and CRQ were marginal VFR and quite hazy. He then suggested we do the south course and I agreed, (I had practiced that one more recently). I pointed out the weather at Brown was still IFR 2 ½ miles and haze. Gillespie was almost the same, then it cleared up. I then made the PIC decision to put the plane back.

Once the METAR’s improved, we pulled the airplane back out. I asked him if he would like a passenger briefing. He said he would, so I gave him a SAFETY briefing.

We started up the plane and got ATIS, called Ground and asked for a VFR practice approach to Oceanside. We got cleared to 28L. I zoomed in on the 650 for the airport map. I used that in conjunction with the airport diagram and before moving showed him the taxi route.

I did the IFR taxi checks with the ball and compass. We got to the run up area and then did the run up area checklist. I then went to the IFR checklist, then asked if I could brief the VOR A approach on the ground. He said that was fine. I put it in the flight plan then briefed the approach, set all the appropriate headings and notified tower I was good to go.

On departure I climbed out at 74 knots. I briefly was not paying attention and drifted into the right departure, that noted, I corrected.

Once we got over 1,000 MSL, he took the controls so I could put the hood on. I then did the climb checklist and then contacted SoCal Got direct OCN at 4500. I tuned the VOR into NAV 2 and did a cruise checklist. I then asked him if he wanted me to ask them for a turn in the hold. He said yes. I asked for one and they approved it as requested.

I ended up flying a parallel entry, flew it somewhat decently. I however must have misprogrammed the approach or did not suspend it for the hold did not show up and I accidentally triggered the next part of the approach sequence (the 096 portion). I ignored this part and flew the CDI and twisted to 270, flew outbound for a minute (or so), then came back to 045 and intercept the 090 inbound radial.

I was a little off the inbound radial sometimes but afterwards he said despite the technical difficulties I flew the hold very well.

SoCal then asked how long we were going to be in the hold. After discussing with him, we said two more times. I then improved on my inbounds. Barry on my last outbound told me to contact SoCal that we were ready for the approach. I did so and then briefed the GUMPS check then went through CANT (CDI mode set, approach mode, no flags, start timer, an acronym one of my CFII’s came up with) checklist as we crossed OCN, then eventually the SCUM (stabilized approach, cleared for missed, undercarriage down and ready for the missed) Made pretty good radio calls on CTAF and executed the missed well. I did a quick climb checklist, then checked in with SoCal.

I then briefed the approach to Palomar. He asked me why I was climbing to 4,000. I realized I only really needed to go to 3,500 and he agreed (since we were apparently being put on a right downwind.)

They then extended our vectors out. Once we got our practice approach approved, and vectors to the final approach course, I activated a leg and turned onto it. Went through GUMPS two niles before the FAF, then CANT at the FAF, then 1,000 feet to minimums SCUM.

He then gave me instructions for an alternate missed to fly runway heading and climb to 3,000. Once we got to minimums, he told me to go visual. Then he told me to go back under the hood and fly the alternate missed.

We were then handed off to SoCal. He had wanted to do unusual attitudes before talking to SoCal but we weren’t able to. As a result SoCal was rather miffed that we were going off course of their vectors.

The unusual attitudes went well. I just took a moment to assess the situation. First was nose high, airspeed dropping. I lowered the nose and added power and got back to level flight. Then was nose low, airspeed increasing. I pulled power back and put the nose back on the horizon. He was satisfied.

I then prepped for the MYF ILS 28R approach. I then built it in the 650, bugged it and briefed it. Got the ATIS and it was a while before I could identify the localizer. I did the descent checklist and prelanding checklist at the appropriate spots. as well as going through the GUMPS two miles before the FAF. He then put stickers on the G5, I then said I would declare. He was happy with that.

Flew the ILS partial panel and 1,000 feet to minimums did the SCUM check. It was pretty bumpy on final approach, got cleared to land. I came in a little fast, ballooned a tiny bit, pulled power and eventually landed smoothly. I was ready to go around if I needed to. He had given me an alternate missed approach, if I had to go around, climb to 3,000 feet and turn right headed 090.

When I landed I wondered if I had busted due to the the hold. But I knew he had not announced a discontinuance at anytime, so I knew as long as I made sure I didn’t hit anything and go through the appropriate checklists, I would pass.

I saw my two CFII’s and the plane owner waiting for me. I was just thinking of how awkward it would be if I found out along with them I had busted. After I did the securing checklist and shut down, he asked me how I thought I did. I told him I thought my hold wasn’t the best. He disagreed and said considering my mistakes, I flew the hold very well.

Later during the debrief, he said that I did all my missed approaches and flying approaches very well, did the checklist and bugging very well and that it was an easy pass. He said I was extremely well organized and it showed in my preparation for the oral and my flight. He told my CFII’s to send him more students like me so that felt very good to hear.

Last edited:
Congrats! Excellent review of the check ride.
Now go and use it, but not in ice and thunderstorms.

Thank you so much! I definitely will be avoiding ice and thunderstorms. I feel like the IFR training has helped me understand weather phenomenons so much better and has given me a greater skill level with flying in general.

Congrats! When I did an IPC a couple of years ago, this particular instructor advises his students once they pass file on your next 20 flights even if it's VFR. Get used to the system.

Sounds like you were extremely well prepared and organized... not surprised you passed! Go celebrate!

I am thankful I had two great CFII's that helped me prepare and also had gouges from their previous students that assisted me in focusing on areas to study from. That helped a lot.

And I am definitely filing IFR even on VMC days to stay proficient and current in the system.

thank you all for the kind words and advice!

Nice write up. Thank you. I’ll reference this in 6 months or so when I get to that point. I understood most of what you posted - a great first step!

Nice write up. Thank you. I’ll reference this in 6 months or so when I get to that point. I understood most of what you posted - a great first step!

You are welcome. That’s how I felt about 2-3 months ago when I was reading various other peoples gouges of their IFR checkrides. I understood most of it and knew that I was getting close to being ready. I was fortunate to work with two great CFII’s.

I’m jelly. (in other words, congrats) Just starting my IFR journey, any tips?

Congrats on a job well done. Now get out there and exercise those new privileges to stay current and proficient!

I’m jelly. (in other words, congrats) Just starting my IFR journey, any tips?
I would say fly with your instructors as often as you can. I did both the north (KMYF-VOR A OKB-RNAV GPS Y 24 CRQ- ILS 28R MYF) and south course (KMYF- VOR A SDM- LOC D SEE-Hold at RYAHH as published (or sometimes we did that before the LOC D to change it up, plus my DPE had been known to do this), then ILS 28R MYF Full stop) multiple times. I think if you can do at least a couple of mock orals, that also helps, as well as mock check rides.

If you are flying with a flying club, this is probably common sense but I recommend staying in the same airplane so you stay with the same avionics/radio package. I found reading the red IFR oral exam guide book very helpful in prepping for the orals, as well as the pilot cafe quick review guide.

If your instructor has had other students recently passed their check rides, ask them if they have gouges that they can provide. I reviewed two of them before mine and that was really helpful in preparing.

Also think of questions you want to ask the examiner before your ride. I asked mine if he'd make the CTAF calls (I didn't think he would but I wanted to ask) at OKB, he said no, it's up to me. I did ask if he would help look for traffic and he said yes, but I would be responsible for relaying to SoCal. So I would go and make a list of these kinds of questions.

Also remember you are PIC, so when reviewing the weather the day of, don't be afraid to exercise your PIC authority and say that you are not comfortable with the weather and would rather wait or in the worst case scenario discontinue. I had decided to wait as we were going to do the south course but Brown was IFR and the north course had lower visibility and ceilings than I was comfortable with. Also keep that in mind when answering oral questions as well. The examiner wants to see you being able to make sound ADM decisions as PIC.

Also don’t be afraid to ask for delay vectors if you need more time to set up for the approach. It shows good ADM to the DPE. I know when I did LOC D SEE go missed then the ILS 28R to MYF, it happens pretty fast so I learned to use the request for delay vectors to get set up.

These are just a few things I thought of.

Thank you all! I was fortunate to have great instructors and this examiner was fair and a very nice guy. His dad was a Hellcat pilot in World War II just like my great uncle was (more info about my great uncle here: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jackson_D._Arnold)

We had a lot to small talk about before starting the oral which helped to. We both grew up in aviation families. My dad is a retired Air Force O-2/KC-135/F-4 pilot.

It seems that as getting the IR is as hard as getting the ppl they should at least give you a new color coded license or one with a stripe on it as a reward.

Back