• Also yes, but a different option

Votes: 4 50.0%

• Total voters

Ted

The pilot formerly known as Twin Engine Ted
Display Name

Display name:
iFlyNothing
This is likely one of the newest AND cheapest aircraft you'll find for sale on the POA Classifieds! :)

We are selling our hot air balloon. If you are wanting to learn how to fly a hot air balloon, you will likely end up having to buy one to learn in. Unlike most aircraft which have a rental market available, that doesn't really exist for balloons.

This Lindstrand has a basket that's more or less like a 172 interior. I say that in that it's comfortable for 2 people, but can fit 4 if you're friendly. Being a rectangular basket with 4 attachment points to the balloon envelope helps to make the basket more stable, and being 100% wicker (some don't have a wicker bottom) also helps to make landings softer.

The burner is a single burner, but it's fully redundant. It has two burner assemblies internal to it, and then the two backup (whisper I think - I forget the exact term) burners as well, and two propane tanks. The only part that it doesn't have two of are the coils, so you have fully redundant operations for the burner.

A 77,000 cubic foot balloon is something that can still be handled by two people, although having some extra good helpers is certainly doable. That's part of why we looked at this size - big enough that we could fly with passengers/friends, but small enough that we could handle it without needing to get others to help (which was a requirement). Of course only one of us could fly it at a time without someone else to drive the chase vehicle, but that is a reality of flying a balloon. I've also heard of people who will fly the balloon themselves or with one other person, and then get a taxi to get back to the balloon trailer/truck to come get it after landing.

The balloon has approximately 250 hours on it since new. The basket and the envelope are both in good condition. The annual for the balloon did expire in November, we just didn't have it done because we knew we weren't going to fly it over the winter. Since we've decided to sell it and are assuming a prebuy of some sort will be required as part of that (which is basically an annual anyway) we figured that we'd be better to negotiate that as part of the sale. There are no known issues with it at time of this ad.

Fuel burn is about 22 GPH of propane.

We will also include the enclosed trailer we've used for the balloon if desired, which is 8x20, however I'll be the first one to say that it's not a great trailer. :)

Asking $14,000, including trailer.

87269990_985887771133_7303086480866410496_n.jpg

You're in Wichita?

Should've put in... balloon is located in Paola, KS (SE side of Kansas City).

An interested buyer is welcome to come to our property, or depending I could potentially meet somewhere.

I’ve always wonderd if it’s possible to put a small prop on the basket or somewhere to provide some directional capability. Like a small motor on a sailboat, used to make it easier to get in and out of the slip. Probably a physics thing that makes it impossible.

I’ve always wonderd if it’s possible to put a small prop on the basket or somewhere to provide some directional capability. Like a small motor on a sailboat, used to make it easier to get in and out of the slip. Probably a physics thing that makes it impossible.
Now is your big opportunity to give that a try .

Reactions: Ted

Well, in that case, maybe you want a blimp. :)

You mean like this? :D

Back