Weather sealing around landing lights?

Lowe Approach

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Lowe Approach
How do ya'll seal around your lexan glass over the landing lights? The manual doesn't show a seal, but water is sure to get in there and I imagine that is not ideal.
Silicone and hope you dont have to change a bulb anytime soon?
Or is there a gasket that can be made?
Any creative ideas out there?

This is a Cessna 210B BTW.

Attachments

• Landing light2.jpg
    Landing light2.jpg
    7.1 KB · Views: 35
  • Landing Light.JPG
    Landing Light.JPG
    39.8 KB · Views: 32
I fly experimental but the landing light set up appears about the same. I've only flown in the rain a few times (wood prop don't care for the rain) and haven't had any issue with water or moisture.

Not needed, just added hassle and mess.

Maybe if you have the bracket (#22), but if you don’t, the preferred is PRC stuff they use on windows as well:

4ef06e9cb8536b71d21c26b1f3c22926.jpg

Silicone can etch aluminum as it sets. It has acetic acid in it. PRC is a first-class pain to remove. Tough stuff. Best is a thin closed-cell foam gasket. Thin and soft, so the aluminum cover plate doesn't get deformed as the screws tighten. FInding the foam can be fun. An alternative is dumdum, the putty often used on automotive applications. It's a non-hardening stuff, available in white or black at auto parts suppliers. It lets go when you want it to, unlike silicone or PRC, thus avoiding damage to the airplane, and is easy to clean off. Remember Plastiscene, the stuff us old guys played with when were were kids? Like that. Aviat uses it on the inspection covers on the top of the wings of their Huskies.

Last edited:
Back