very new

cjd3060

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
CD
Looking for some advice on insurance for student pilots. I'm older, in my 50s, and will soon be starting lessons. The club requires student insurance. What are my best, and most cost effective, options?

Thanks in advance!

Sent from my SM-T830 using Tapatalk

Looking for some advice on insurance for student pilots. I'm older, in my 50s, and will soon be starting lessons. The club requires student insurance. What are my best, and most cost effective, options?

Thanks in advance!
Check AOPA.org and their agency. Occasionally, they can provide decent and competitive quotes for renters (also known as “non-owned) coverage.

The policy has similar pieces to auto insurance, being Liability and Hull coverage. liability covers you do damage to other property and people, and Hull covers repairs to the damages aircraft.

Owners/operators of the airplane you rent often have a minimum requirement for the Hull value. So go with at least that.

Liability limits are up to you. Make sure to review choices with your agent so you can select the limit amount that protects you and your assets.

Another source of good brokers can be the Facebook group where the aviators in your local area congregate. In North Texas Aviators FB group, when the insurance question is asked, the same two brokers get mentioned because they excel both in service and providing competitive quotes.

Renters or own? My renter as a student pilot was $150, pre-solo in my own was $900 on a 60k hull.

Did you ask around at the club? If they are teaching students I would expect other students before you have asked the same question you posed and may have the best answers.

Wait till you are 80 , a student pilot owning a 62 year old aircraft .
Hull insurance mandatory and more then double the liability premium .
$3551.00 up $600 from 2020.

When I was a private student and renting, I went through AOPA and got a pretty good rate. Think I had 30k hull value or something like that. Can't remember what I paid, but I am one to shop around and get the best possible price, so it must have been pretty competitive.

Back