FII Written Exam: What am I missing on these "currency" questions?

AggieMike88

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
The original "I don't know it all" of aviation.
In SheppardAir study questions for the Flight Instructor-Instrument knowledge exam are the following questions. The correct answer is shown in bold.

=================
Question# 2431:
A pilot intends to act as PIC on an instrument flight on July 10 of this year. That pilot must have performed and logged

A) the required instrument currency tasks between January 1st this year and the date of the flight.

B) the required instrument currency tasks between December 10th of last year and the date of the flight.

C) an instrument proficiency check and flight review within the previous 24 calendar months.​

Question# 2506
A pilot plans to make an IFR flight on July 10th of this year. In order to meet the instrument currency requirements what must the pilot have?

A) Performed and logged the required tasks and iterations no earlier than February 10 of this year.

B) Performed and logged the required tasks and iterations between January 10 of this year nd the date of the planned flight.

C) Satisfactorily completed an instrument proficiency check between August 1 of last year and July 1st of this year.​

=================

Rote memorizing the correct answer, no problem. But a good learner is more than that.

Other than the subtle "A pilot plans..." and "...intends to act as PIC..." clues to which answer to select, what am I missing that is making the answers vary between what appears to be 180 days versus six calendar months?

Or is this another one of the "famous" poorly worded questions that are known to haunt the question banks?

For the curious who would ask, the explanation button on both questions points to the same reference, §61.57(c), but with a caution to watch out for the other question.

Why do you think one of the other answers is correct?

the second one is a bit of a trick because of January "10th", but the other answers are completely wrong,

my key? When doing "calendar month" questions, disregard the date unless two answers refer to the same month.

Thanks... got it now. The appearance that Jan 1 to 9 was disallowed was the curveball

Fortunately this is the only funky worded question in the regulations section.

This is just a bad question. Jan 1st would have been a proper question. But that is the "most correct"

You always look back 6 full calendar months.

Back