NorCal avionics shops

DaviatorSF

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
DaviatorSF
There's a very old post (from 2012) here talking about San Francisco Bay Area avionics shops. I'd love to update that information with peoples' recommendations for, and (if applicable) against, avionics shops in Northern California.

I fly a Grumman Tiger based at San Carlos, we are looking to do a significant upgrade (probably 2 Garmin GI-275s, a Garmin 355 GPS Nav/Com, and a TBD VOR Nav+Com (maybe Val Avionics.) We had ADS-B work done about three years ago by Velocity Avionics (who was in Modesto then, but have now moved to Columbia.) They did a good job but have been really flaky in trying to get pricing out of them for this work. I actually flew out there a couple of months ago and got them to give me a quote, but then when we decided to go with the GI-275s (instead of the G5s they quoted) I couldn't get any response out of them to revise the estimate. So I'm thinking I need to look elsewhere.

I've heard recommendations for Executive Autopilots out of Sacramento, and J&R out of Livermore. Anybody have experience with them or others?

I'm probably a little biased against shops which are in the Bay Area, only because I assume they'll be very pricey, and we are trying to keep the costs down to the extent we can. But interested in any thoughts.

Thanks in advance!

Aerial Avionics recently moved from KRHV Reid Hillview to KMRY Monterey. Nice shop. If you're considering 2 GI-275's might have a hard look at the G3X. Nomially more money and much more capable. Can also later upgrade to full engine gauges.

Aerial cuts panels in house.

Last edited:
I'm not sure if you're still looking but I also have a tiger based in the bay area and I just dropped it off up in Ashland at JLC avionics. They've been super responsive over phone/email. It's a little over a 2 hour flight. When I pick it up, I'll let you know how the upgrade turned out.

I just did a similar panel re-do to what you're planning at JLC in Ashland (2 gi275's, GNX375,GTR225, etc.) Good folks.

DaviatorSF and 7ZSTTto2… how'd your jobs at JLC avionics go?

the work was really good.

I had one issue where the gi 275's were slightly misconfigured but they talked me through going through the configuration menu over the phone to fix it. my 650xi also had a weird touchscreen issue, but it was under warranty so a local shop was a able to fix it for the cost of shipping the part to/from garmin. They also have a relationship with a great cfi who was able to do all of the validation work and then ferry the plane back to me at CCR and spend several hours giving me the garmin education and test flight (this was on my own dime but his rates were very reasonable)

They are a small shop though, so any work is _probably_ not going to be super speedy. I think they started ~3 weeks later than they thought they would and it took a little longer than they expected so all told it took about 2 1/2 months (with the last week being ferry pilot stuff).

me personally, being based in CCR, if I had to do it again i'd probably choose somewhere closer, if only for making it easier to validate/pickup/get home, etc. But if I were based anywhere within about an hour flight of S03, I would choose JLC.

Still haven’t taken the plunge… we were about to, and then discovered some new areas of corrosion starting and decided we really couldn’t wait any longer and needed to get the plane repainted without any more delay. Roughly $20 grand later, the plane looks beautiful (I have only good things to say about Art Craft Paint down in Santa Maria.). But we now need to return our attention to the avionics to figure out if we can still afford to do what we really want/need to do there.

Coincidentally, I used Ashland as a fuel stop this summer while coming back from Seattle, and I took a quick look at JLC. They do seem to be the real deal, they look like they know what they’re doing. We may end up using them, although it’s a long way to go.

David

Still haven’t taken the plunge… we were about to, and then discovered some new areas of corrosion starting and decided we really couldn’t wait any longer and needed to get the plane repainted without any more delay. Roughly $20 grand later, the plane looks beautiful (I have only good things to say about Art Craft Paint down in Santa Maria.). But we now need to return our attention to the avionics to figure out if we can still afford to do what we really want/need to do there.

Coincidentally, I used Ashland as a fuel stop this summer while coming back from Seattle, and I took a quick look at JLC. They do seem to be the real deal, they look like they know what they’re doing. We may end up using them, although it’s a long way to go.

David
I have my Mooney up in Grants Pass at Baker Avionics. You’re certainly closer than I am and I felt it was worth the drive. Greg, the owner, is a great guy to deal with. I’m having dual Dynon Skyview HDX screens installed (10” and 7”) plus the engine monitor. I should be picking up my plane in 2 to 3 weeks. Then it’ll be going to Art Craft in January for paint and windows so I’m glad to hear about your positive experience. If you want to consider Baker Avionics hit me up in a couple of weeks and I’ll give you my honest opinion after the fact. Good luck.

Steve

the work was really good.

Do you have before and after pics to share?

I have a Grumman Tiger that is dying (avionically speaking) to have GPS LPV, but with practically all original avionics and instruments, the options I am considering range from a GPS 175 with GI-275 CDI, to a completely new avionics stack and instrument panel, or maybe somewhere in between.

I'm not interested in going full glass panel (maybe too sentimental about the legacy six pack instruments), but at some point this plane needs to be updated to this millenium.

Last edited:
I have my Mooney up in Grants Pass at Baker Avionics. You’re certainly closer than I am and I felt it was worth the drive. Greg, the owner, is a great guy to deal with. I’m having dual Dynon Skyview HDX screens installed (10” and 7”) plus the engine monitor. I should be picking up my plane in 2 to 3 weeks. Then it’ll be going to Art Craft in January for paint and windows so I’m glad to hear about your positive experience. If you want to consider Baker Avionics hit me up in a couple of weeks and I’ll give you my honest opinion after the fact. Good luck.

Steve
Thanks, I definitely hope you will post about your experience after you get your plane back, and I'll try to remember to hit you up about it. Baker Avionics wasn't on my radar so it's nice to have another referral.

I think you'll be very happy with Art Craft, and Teresa and Brenda there are nice people who will take care of you. Expect there to be some body work needed once they get the old paint stripped off, in our case they were great about supplying photos and documenting the issues they found. Added about a week to the process but the end results are beautiful.

Back