Wow.. cheap air fair

Booked ATL to MCO for $148 r/t a couple of weeks ago - economy, but not basic economy - gotta pay the Medallion tax if I want a shot at an upgrade. I was starting to think that mileage runs may be making a comeback soon, but then I saw that ATL to LAS was $1,300 the weekend we thought about going. As someone said, it is probably all regional.

FWIW, went to South Beach/MIA last week - not sure if people are flying or driving, but that place was packed to the gills.

Perhaps guzziguy is not thinking of the human toll, but rather the years of predatory pricing and gouging and bag fees and all the other sundry charges that the airlines perpetrated on the traveling public that was thought to have no other choice but to use their services. Airlines reaped Hugh profits while the public suffered The countless indignities of flying human cattle cars. Arrogant airline CEO’s telling us that tiny seat pitches are good. That now things are not so rosy for commercial aviation. A little schadenfreude. He was Not thinking of the little guy pilot that is now on public assistance.
I own a 6 figure airplane to avoid the airlines and the security BS that goes with it. Your story doesn't fit all of us. If they all went belly-up, I'd smile a little.
Douchery.

It's doubtful the 121 airlines, as an industry will die completely, but I would shed not one tear if any of them went out of business.
On the upside, considering their horrendous track record, options to cattle car transport are growing.

Douchery.
Really! The fact of the matter is that your flight experience as a pilot is a whole heck of a lot better than my flight experience as self-loading cargo. I am not saying it’s the pilots fault either. But I am saying I only fly commercial when absolutely necessary.

Last edited:
The politics wouldn't change my disdain for the airlines (aviation fuel tax / ATC fee would affect the airlines too, yes?)....try again. (strike 2)

There's a small TSA tax on your ticket already. Just add $1 per passenger for ATC and raise gas a dollar as well. The airlines will pass it on, but that $1 a passenger x 167 passengers gets a little more painful when your plane ALSO has to pay $167 for the same service ... politics, no matter who is in charge, will always find "loose" money from you rich airplane owners that deserve higher taxes.:eek:

If you don't like flying on the airlines then don't fly on the airlines.

TSA screening is a lot easier if you know the rules and procedures. Lots of information on www.tsa.gov. When you know how to pack, and what to do, you can get through screening quickly with minimal inconvenience. Some prefer to work themselves up about the injustice of it all but that doesn't tend to improve the experience. That energy might be more productive directed at your elected representatives who are the only ones who can actually change the system.

Most of the annoyances of air travel stem from the large number of airline passengers. Lines, congestion, crowding, etc. Even traffic delays, which are due to the large number of passengers resulting in too many flights. Most airports of any size have ongoing expansion projects adding infrastructure to better handle the volume. Government bureaucracies work slowly, though, and those projects almost always lag behind demand. In the mean time, we just need to find a way to pick several hundred thousand passenger per day and tell them that they can't fly.

So, if you don't like flying on the airlines, and choose not to fly, it actually helps those who still do.

Back