Best budget IFR GPS?

Johnbo

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Johnbo
I am looking to upgrade a panel currently without any GPS or autopilot so that it will have an IFR legal gps. It already has a working King CDI so I believe that the Garmin GPS175 is essentially plug and play after the WAAS antenna is mounted (or could it use the one feeding a GDL82?)

are there any other manufactures besides Garmin that have a similar product at a lower price point? Unfortunately, this won’t be in an experimental plane so that must be considered as well.
Thx!

It already has a working King CDI so I believe that the Garmin GPS175 is essentially plug and play after the WAAS antenna is mounted (or could it use the one feeding a GDL82?)
If the GDL82 is using a GA35 antenna, then you can route that to the GPS175 and then have it feed position to the GDL82 via RS232 serial data.
I believe the OP was looking for "budget", not "ghetto". :D

I am looking to upgrade a panel currently without any GPS or autopilot so that it will have an IFR legal gps. It already has a working King CDI so I believe that the Garmin GPS175 is essentially plug and play after the WAAS antenna is mounted (or could it use the one feeding a GDL82?)

are there any other manufactures besides Garmin that have a similar product at a lower price point? Unfortunately, this won’t be in an experimental plane so that must be considered as well.
Thx!
Which King CDI? Not all are gps compatible.

Doesn't the external CDI have to have the appropriate annunciation capability to be IFR-legal? If you already have G5s you would be covered, otherwise you need something like a GI-106B or equivalent.

fwiw i put the garmin 175 in mine with a used garmin dedicated CDI and simply could not be happier. It is one of, if not the best deal in budget WAAS GPS going and has garmin backing, and there are other versions with COMM or ADSB-out. The touchscreen user interface is very user friendly. super-easy flight plan transfer from ipad to the unit and visa versa

Doesn't the external CDI have to have the appropriate annunciation capability to be IFR-legal?
I believe it does not if the CDI is not shared any other radios and the on-screen annunciatation are within the specified field of view.

fwiw i put the garmin 175 in mine with a used garmin dedicated CDI and simply could not be happier. It is one of, if not the best deal in budget WAAS GPS going and has garmin backing, and there are other versions with COMM or ADSB-out. The touchscreen user interface is very user friendly. super-easy flight plan transfer from ipad to the unit and visa versa
Are you using foreflight or garmin pilot on the iPad?

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

i'm using foreflight, works just fine

Back