Making the tough go/no go decisions...

I'm asking seriously (not being funny or snide) ... did rudder authority seem to improve with the VGs? Does your bird handle high crosswind better? Reason I ask is both the RV and Tiger have 60 MPH (not knot) stall speeds and was surprised there's so much difference between the two as far as max direct crosswind capability/rudder authority (Tiger at least 8 knots better).
Yes, FOR SURE I fee a difference. I have the micro VGs on the leading edge of the wing, the vertical stabilizer and the elevator. It makes a very noticeable difference. My plane has a Sportsman STOL kit that really lowers the stall speed quite a bit. But, one disadvantage of going that slow is you start loosing control authority. With, VGs I have more authority at the new slow stall speed than I had at the old faster stall speed. It affects everything, elevator, ailerons and rudder.

Last edited:
My previous Tiger was a BEAST regarding crosswind ... the new RV (same rudder size) I have to reduce my max direct crosswind to 25 knots (rudder won't hold alignment above that) probably due to decreased weight. The Tiger could ...

Remember, the AA5 airframe was originally built with a smaller tail. When they put that big tail on the Tiger and Cheetah, it made a huge difference in low speed maneuverability. Combine that with the heavy wing loading and you have a beautiful crosswind platform. Also, the added power the Tiger has to power out of stuff is quite noticeable.

I'm asking seriously (not being funny or snide) ... did rudder authority seem to improve with the VGs? Does your bird handle high crosswind better? Reason I ask is both the RV and Tiger have 60 MPH (not knot) stall speeds and was surprised there's so much difference between the two as far as max direct crosswind capability/rudder authority (Tiger at least 8 knots better).

I think RVs have smaller tails and thinner wings.

The 53 knot dirty stall speed in a Tiger is not the only factor. The AA5 frame, similar to the Cirrus actually, likes to be flown down to the runway at a touch faster for a truly smooth landing. If you've mastered smoother landings in a Tiger, you are maintaining roll authority through the flare and rudder is really only a support factor. A well set up Tiger is not a rudder driven airplane. Typical P factor left turn bias is nearly non existent when I'm flying. That means the rudder is there when you need it.

I think RVs have smaller tails and thinner wings.

Not sure on the wings, but the RVs tail was a direct result of copying the Tiger tail size from what I've heard at the RV fly-ins. If I needed 4 seats, I'd still be flying my previous one ...

Back