Citation V down in Oregon

This guy says a few videos later that installment two and three are coming later. He claims he knows more than he revealed, has “documents”, that everyone but him fell for this hypoxia/health theory, that he’ll show the one thing that led him to his conclusion. Hype, hype, hype. The Enquirer thrived, so this channel may too.

I can't tell if Dan had one incident or two. There was one in 2009 that got a fair amount of airtime both in the news and on the various forums, but the only reference I can find to a 2012 incident is your link. I wonder if your link is the final chapter on the 2009 incident. Strange.

But I'd still think if he was convicted of assault with an airplane, there would be something more definitive online.

Oh the drama. Still not buying it as what actually happened. Is it possible? Sure, but he is still offering pure speculation. Each part of his speculation can be picked apart. What IS obvious is that you have a deceptive business man who is not legally qualified or capable to pilot his own jet and he died under unknown circumstances.

I guess the forensics on the second occupant will tell the tale of whether or not there was a coercive murder suicide plot on board. Anybody familiar with the pressurization system in the citation know if it includes aural alerts for high cabin altitude that could have been heard in the background during ATC transmissions?

It’s been awhile but from what I remember, there is no audible, just Master Warning and annunciation light.

If he didn’t select bleed air before taking off he may have received the Cabin Alt light reaching 10,000 feet. Then, if light weight, it would have climbed like a homesick angel to 30,000 feet. Or, he could have set the altitude on the pressurization selector incorrectly to begin with. Or, the pressurization system could have had an issue that flight. Or, or, or. The list goes on.

Last edited:
If it was suicide then why take another person? Yeah he wasn't fully rated for everything (according to Dan) but if he is planning to ditch it why would he care about that? I mean he apparently knew how to fly it so assume he would have had the ability to get it to a remote location to crash it? But then again he apparently had very little regard for others anyway so might not have cared who went with him?

The Citation pilot was a private pilot, type rated in a Grumman Albatross and a Lear, but not the C560.

“'He had taken Citation 560 training toward the end of 2020 at a training facility in Arizona,' the report said. 'However the owner of the facility stated that the pilot had not performed to a level sufficient to be issued a type rating or single pilot exemption.'

"Historical flight data and interviews with people who knew Boehlke led the NTSB to conclude the Jan. 9 flight 'was likely the first time he had flown the airplane on his own.'"

And apparently, contrary to earlier reports, the pilot was the only one aboard.

https://www.oregonlive.com/pacific-...sh-was-not-certified-to-fly-the-aircraft.html

Last edited:
The Citation pilot was a private pilot, type rated in a Grumman Albatross and a Lear, but not the C560.

“'He had taken Citation 560 training toward the end of 2020 at a training facility in Arizona,' the report said. 'However the owner of the facility stated that the pilot had not performed to a level sufficient to be issued a type rating or single pilot exemption.'

"Historical flight data and interviews with people who knew Boehlke led the NTSB to conclude the Jan. 9 flight 'was likely the first time he had flown the airplane on his own.'"

And apparently, contrary to earlier reports, the pilot was the only one aboard.

https://www.oregonlive.com/pacific-...sh-was-not-certified-to-fly-the-aircraft.html
Isn't that all consistent with him just ****ing up?

This guy says a few videos later that installment two and three are coming later. He claims he knows more than he revealed, has “documents”, that everyone but him fell for this hypoxia/health theory, that he’ll show the one thing that led him to his conclusion. Hype, hype, hype. The Enquirer thrived, so this channel may too.
Dan has also claimed for years to have solved the DB Cooper mystery and that he would be providing proof 'very soon'.

At this point Dan has the same credibility as TIGHAR.

Guy couldn’t pass his type.

Training facility/check pilot: “Sorry, but you’re dangerously unqualified to fly this jet. You may crash.”
Guy: immediately crashes plane and dies.
Internet: completely stumped

Only thing I'll say is the last 12 years haven't been kind to Dan. From his '09 booking photo to now...rough

Reading the preliminary, the pilot acts like somebody trying to fly the plane despite being distracted by something confusing, maybe avionics, maybe radio setup, maybe physical problems or all the above. Why the extra minute prior to takeoff? Trying to straighten out the avionics or other onboard problem? Or making a last minute phone call? He's been around aviation long enough to know when his skills aren't up to snuff and the legal ramifications of flying without a type rating. So what's his history of compliance? Is this his normal modus, breaking the rules? Was this the same plane he trained in with all the exact same avionics? Too much unknown to suspect this was a suicidal act and not just pilot incapacitation. I'm wondering if his cell phone was in use after engine start.

The timing and altitude of the last contact until the attempted contact with no response seems an awfully lot like hypoxia, doesn’t it?

The timing and altitude of the last contact until the attempted contact with no response seems an awfully lot like hypoxia, doesn’t it?
The slurred words and lack of responsiveness at 13,000 and below seem less like hypoxia to me. That’s what confuses me, is that some parts of the accident flight seem very much like hypoxia but it doesn’t explain everything.

I had not realized the pilot was 72. Clearly raises the likelihood of some type of medical incapacitation.

He also has a troubled legal history back in the 2000-2006 range. Many criminal charges including illegal pointing of a firearm, criminal trespass. Was evicted. Bankruptcy.

Evidently Dan’s second video covers some of his more recent troubles as well.

Last edited:
I had not realized the pilot was 72. Clearly raises the likelihood of some type of medical incapacitation.

He also has a troubled legal history back in the 2000-2006 range. Many criminal charges including illegal pointing of a firearm, criminal trespass. Was evicted. Bankruptcy.

Evidently Dan’s second video covers some of his more recent troubles as well.

Weird, if you listed those descriptors about a person:

72 years of age
Charged with pointing a firearm
Charged with criminal tresspass
Had been evicted
Had filed for bankruptcy

I don't think I would read a single one of those and go "huh, clearly likely to smoosh a Citation Jet under dubious circumstances"

Weird, if you listed those descriptors about a person:

72 years of age
Charged with pointing a firearm
Charged with criminal tresspass
Had been evicted
Had filed for bankruptcy

I don't think I would read a single one of those and go "huh, clearly likely to smoosh a Citation Jet under dubious circumstances"
There is an underlying thread of being hot-headed, though. The same character traits that can lead to brandishing a gun and trespassing brazenly enough to get charged with both crimes, together or separately, could make a person flip the bird to the instructor who told him he wasn't ready to solo his jet.

There is an underlying thread of being hot-headed, though. The same character traits that can lead to brandishing a gun and trespassing brazenly enough to get charged with both crimes, together or separately, could make a person flip the bird to the instructor who told him he wasn't ready to solo his jet.

I wish I saw it that way, but I don't. It feels like muck-raking after the fact. Perhaps also this person had poor hygiene and once cheated at poker. :D The finger-wag and dragging up his past transgressions add nothing for me. It's just character assassination of someone who cannot defend themselves any longer.

That he flew the plane without passing the type is the only sin in my book, and it burned him good.

I wish I saw it that way, but I don't. It feels like muck-raking after the fact. Perhaps also this person had poor hygiene and once cheated at poker. :D The finger-wag and dragging up his past transgressions add nothing for me. It's just character assassination of someone who cannot defend themselves any longer.

That he flew the plane without passing the type is the only sin in my book, and it burned him good.
I agree that that is the only sin we know is connected with the crash. I don’t think a crash-inducing character flaw is any more proved than suicide. But for me it’s a plausible factor.

Edit to add: I have refused to watch even 1 second of any Dan Gryder content since he posted the original “suicide is the only explanation” video. So any details he shares will only get to me through this thread.

Last edited:

I wouldn’t say clearly likely either. But as noted above, taken together they do suggest some problems with emotional and behavioral control serious enough to manifest with criminal convictions.

His civil record included some lawsuits over serious frauds involving an aviation related company.

Dan’s second video lays out of set of recent apparent serious financial schemes defrauding the elderly. If true, these would result in spending the rest of his life in prison.

The slurred speech is consistent with getting yourself drugged up to have the false courage to kill yourself. And this would be a spectacular way to do it. Fly high into the sky and just don’t turn on oxygen so you pass out and then crash with a show.

I view that as an explanation as plausible as the others.

Last edited:
Back