Route weather, tips, airports from Northern Georgia to First Flight

Lndwarrior

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
Gary
This is my third post of what will be quite a few as I plan my bucket list trip for this spring (end of May early June). The plan is to fly the circumference of the US, starting in CA.

This will be flown VFR in a light sport aircraft.

This leg will be from northern Georgia, along the coast and up to First Flight. This leg will be in a single day so my real question here is where to stay over-night near First Flight? This might be one night where I may stay in a cheap hotel. Any suggestions?

I saw in one post that you can park one night at First Flight. Can anyone confirm this?

I know there is no fuel available, so is their cheap gas along the route or a short distance northward from here?

Please understand I am using the suggestions people have been posting and they have increased my excitement for this trip. I just want readers to understand this is not some theoretically dream where I'm wasting people's time. Unless something untoward happens I will be launching in mid to late May.

In the meantime, I'm spending a huge amount of time, and quite a bit of money, upgrading and preparing my plane. And hours and hours on the internet studying airports and route options.

I will also be spending time with a CFI to discuss things like complacency, ADM, standard procedures, flight planning on a day to day basis, and getting some hood time in just in case (I'm not IFR current and the plane is not IFR).

Any tips, weather considerations, and things to see along the this route would be appreciated.

If you stop in Atlanta, there are several of us in the area. Let us know when you are passing through and we’ll buy you a beer.

Fuel price overlay on Garmin Pilot is super handy for route planning with cheap fuel enroute. I assume ForeFlight and various internet options have similar capability.

There is a well known BBQ restaurant on the field at Carthage NC. Haven't been there but am told it's good enough that drive-in guests outnumber fly-in guests.

Seems like Charlotte class B airspace is always in my way, no matter where I am going. Watch the restricted areas IVO Fayetteville. Lotta ordnance in the air at Braggistan.

I know there is no fuel available, so is their cheap gas along the route or a short distance northward from here?

Fuel is a non-issue in that area. MQI is right across the bay (<6 miles) and has food, fuel and is highly regarded. There are cheaper options available, however, MQI is a good one stop for your needs.

Back