PPL Written Exam

Otto

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Otto
I'm taking my PPL written exam on the 17th and was wondering what to expect. I've read somethings about new test standards and was wondering if that will have an effect on what I've learned in ground school. (Kings). Thanks!

Kings gave you the basics general ideas. If you passed their tests you'll be fine. Don't go expecting exact questions that you've practiced. Read the text questions carefully the wording mary be a bit different. When they say look at their diagram and ask a corresponding question the answer is in on the diagram.

Have confidence in yourself!

The FAA is working on overhauling the knowledge tests but it is a very gradual process. I have not seen any reports that there have been any material changes in the question bank yet.

Agree with the above, the best thing to do is read the questions and all the answer choices very carefully. One little word can flip the meaning of the question.

At the end of the test, review all your answers to see if you can catch any clear mistakes you might have made, but don't change a guess to another guess.

Agree with the others about reading the questions carefully. I was finishing my sporty's practice tests in about an hour and I think I spent about an hour and a half on the actual test because I reread every question to double check. Most questions were similar to what I'd already practiced and were pretty straightforward and then a couple were worded awkwardly -- struggled to understand what they were really asking. If you're doing reasonable on your practice exams then you should be fine. Don't stress yourself out. I probably got lucky, but I ended up doing better on the actual exam than my practice ones.

Here is my testing 101 advice that has worked great for me:

As soon as you sit down write down some of the notes and things you were trying to be able to remember from studying right before you walked in the door.
Since you can skip around and return to questions go through and answer all the easy softball questions skipping anything you are at all unsure of or requiring calculations.
Next go do all the softball calculations questions skipping others you are not 100% sure of.
Next go back and do questions that require a bit of thought.
Finally go back and do all the harder questions.

That process helps jog the memory and build confidence so the answer to the harder questions become more apparent.

Good luck.

Take an ASA CX-3 with.
Passed test a few weeks ago - no w&b computations, no xc speed/heading computations
Need to know a basicmed & lsa limitations a bit.

Back