If you could choose between 2 what would you do??

Which one would you choose?

• Total voters
Having owned an older plane, I know I'll never own an older plane. I say that because a killer deal on an older plane hasn't be put before me.

It seems the OP never really outlined the Mission.

Burger?

XC?

IFR ?

Some folks never fly off grass and some never IFR.

I clicked thinking this was yet another Ginger or Mary Ann thread.

I would have to see and evaluate both planes. Making such a decision from these descriptions is not a good thing. To try to help though, my decision would be determined based on three very important criteria:

1. condition
2. Condition
3. CONDITION

Sit in both. Which one creates the bigger smile?

I’d pick the ‘58 because straight tails are cool.
Agreed. Straight Tails are keepers (40+ years in my case). Some '58s are B Models (mine is). The B was the first with cowl flaps - which you definitely want. You also want Manual Flaps
(not sure if the '61 has 'em or not).

Dave

So the deal was I had a chance to give up the 58 (it is a A) that I had just bought last week for the 61. Straight trade. I've sat and flown in both. The 61 has the clean pretty look, runs well and it does have the manual flaps. The 58 has the STOL kit, overhauled instruments, a low hour engine and also runs great. And even in my limited skilled hands the 58 feels great in the air. I know the people that did all the work on the 58 and some work on the 61 and think both planes are find but I am happy to say I'm going to keep the 58.
I may polish it and expand on the NAV equipment and a couple other minor features.
It is not an easy decision when you are new into the sport and most of the feedback was appreciated.
This will be my plane till I am too old to fly anymore and I'm anxious to put hours on its clock.

So the deal was I had a chance to give up the 58 (it is a A) that I had just bought last week for the 61. Straight trade. I've sat and flown in both. The 61 has the clean pretty look, runs well and it does have the manual flaps. The 58 has the STOL kit, overhauled instruments, a low hour engine and also runs great. And even in my limited skilled hands the 58 feels great in the air. I know the people that did all the work on the 58 and some work on the 61 and think both planes are find but I am happy to say I'm going to keep the 58.
I may polish it and expand on the NAV equipment and a couple other minor features.
It is not an easy decision when you are new into the sport and most of the feedback was appreciated.
This will be my plane till I am too old to fly anymore and I'm anxious to put hours on its clock.
Dance with the one who brung ya!

Sent from my SM-N976U using Tapatalk

With these two choices, you couldn't really have gone that wrong with either. Sounds like you have an amazing low time engine plane. Now stop trying to give it away and enjoy it! Congrats!

I voted for the 58 model as did most others. That said, I own a 57 A model so probably a bit bias.

I have a lot of 182s time in my 45+ years of flying so not a newbie.

The STOL kit is worth a lot IMHO. The slow flight & stall characteristics are so much better than a standard version.

Also, minor thing, I never cared for the slant-tail models without the omni-vision rear window. The have those extra silly side windows & just look out of balance to me.

My .02 worth.

I used to own a 182A. Great airplane!

The 1958 'A' model. (FYI the 1959 'B' is a little nicer aircraft, has cowl flaps, I have flown both, like the 'B' better). I agree with the others the older plane sounds nicer.

Back