End of the Learjet

Something tells me this will be the first of many, sadly.

Bombardier was left with a $4.7 billion debt load, slightly more than the $4.5 billion anticipated last year, and significantly more than the $2.5 billion originally expected.

I think this was in the works before Covid hit; it just made it worse.

Bombardier was left with a $4.7 billion debt load, slightly more than the $4.5 billion anticipated last year, and significantly more than the $2.5 billion originally expected.

I think this was in the works before Covid hit; it just made it worse.

Well, they sold one fewer Learjet in 2020 than they did in 2019 so business didn't change too much from that standpoint. However, the Global/Challenger product lines both outsold the Learjet line by a significant amount (over 4 to 1) and likely at better margins so I doubt they really want to compete in that arena anymore.

I think this was in the works before Covid hit
It was. I don't think Lear will disappear completely only eventually change owners as Bombardier circles the drain on the aviation side. The family that owns Bomba made a few missteps when bringing the C Series jet to market and racked up a considerable debt, mainly owed to the Canadian government. Wouldn't be surprised if Lear picked up by some familiar names in the industry.

It was. I don't think Lear will disappear completely only eventually change owners as Bombardier circles the drain on the aviation side. The family that owns Bomba made a few missteps when bringing the C Series jet to market and racked up a considerable debt, mainly owed to the Canadian government. Wouldn't be surprised if Lear picked up by some familiar names in the industry.

I don't know much about executive jets, but aren't the Lears right in the middle of the pack, maybe lacking a polarizing characteristic (say, short field performance or wide cabin) to attract sales?

The Lear 35 was my first jet, so I have a soft spot, but Learjet/Bombardier fell behind many years ago.

I'm sure someone has some real data, but my non-scientific observation at FBOs has me thinking that the private jet fleet is skewing towards super-midsize and large cabin jets. There don't seem to be as many light jets on the ramp these days unless it's something owner flown like a CJ or Mustang. I wonder if that didn't hurt Lear sales as well.

That's certainly what it seems like..

was the Lear 70/75 single pilot capable or did it require a crew? It seems the market may be moving away from owner operated jets

but aren't the Lears right in the middle of the pack,
In my limited knowledge, they used to be. But with the entry of more competition and and the 1% moving up to bigger aircraft it didn't really fit anywhere as well as it did. I believe it was more the market moved away instead of the aircraft under performing.

was the Lear 70/75 single pilot capable or did it require a crew?
I believe the 70/75 is a Part 25 aircraft like the rest. Aircraft needs to be a Part 23 jet to go single pilot like a Phenom 100/300 or the new PC-24.

Sad for me to hear. Flying Learjets was such a kick. It made me happy. At the next fly in I’m having a stiff drink in honor of Bill Lear. FB92FAF5-8A93-4740-8E41-3EB9450036E6.jpeg

I've got hundreds if not thousands of single pilot Lear PIC time...

When I flight simmed as a kid.

I think the market for the Lear size aircraft has dried up. If you are spending millions to purchase, and have to pay two pilots, you can get a bigger cabin plane for not a lot more. Other aircraft in the same cabin class are mostly single pilot which reduces operating cost.

Sad to see another GA product line bite the dust...

I'm sure someone has some real data, but my non-scientific observation at FBOs has me thinking that the private jet fleet is skewing towards super-midsize and large cabin jets. There don't seem to be as many light jets on the ramp these days unless it's something owner flown like a CJ or Mustang. I wonder if that didn't hurt Lear sales as well.

And of course, Mustangs will start reducing over time too now that it's been 5 years since Textron shut that line down. Sad for me since that's what I fly and want to keep flying...

I think the market for the Lear size aircraft has dried up. If you are spending millions to purchase, and have to pay two pilots, you can get a bigger cabin plane for not a lot more. Other aircraft in the same cabin class are mostly single pilot which reduces operating cost.
They had that Lear85 on the books to replace the 60... And cut it because by their own admission it was too similar to the challenger 300/350

The Lear 35 was my first jet, so I have a soft spot, but Learjet/Bombardier fell behind many years ago.

The ‘thirty five’ was the sexiest looking Lear ever made. That’s why it was referred to as the ‘purty five’

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Another "end of an era" reminder - a Learjet was one of the default airplanes at Meigs on the very early MSFT Flight simulator I used to fly as a kid... No more Meigs, no more Learjets...

msfs3-lear-meigs.gif

Another "end of an era" reminder - a Learjet was one of the default airplanes at Meigs on the very early MSFT Flight simulator I used to fly as a kid... No more Meigs, no more Learjets...

msfs3-lear-meigs.gif
Make sure your mags and carb heat are set for takeoff in that Lear. And whatever you do, don't climb at more than 2000fpm :D

msfs3-lear-meigs.gif
Goodness, there's a throwback. Forgot how rugged the Lear looked when constructed of polygons lol.

Sent from my SM-N976U using Tapatalk

This is the one I remember:
NpdOE.png
Made a lot of trips between cmi and cgx "in" that thing. Sad I never got to make that trip in real life.

Got to ride in a 45 once from cmi to Ankeny ia. I think it was n196ph. That was my first time in the fbo at cmi, little did I know it'd become a second home during flight training a few years later. I also had no idea how much money they were spending on us :eek:

Never flew the Lear, but always respected it.

Former boss of mine bought one of the first 45s produced. Upgraded the corporate plane from a Cheyenne 400LS. Personally I liked the Piper better, but that might be because I got to sit right seat in it on some of our long corporate trips to the east. I remember late one winter night over North Dakota heading home westbound and witnessing the most spectacular display of the Aurora I've ever seen. The ultimate propeller airplane imo (well maybe a P38 Lightning might convince me otherwise).

But this thread is about jets. And seems the personal and corporate jet market is going the same direction as the rest of GA. Up market.
I've had that view for a while from watching, over some 25+ years, the shift in the airplanes that pack the ramp at Glacier Jet @ KGPI every holiday long weekend.

Last edited:
I don't know much about executive jets, but aren't the Lears right in the middle of the pack, maybe lacking a polarizing characteristic (say, short field performance or wide cabin) to attract sales?

I don't know what you mean by "middle of the pack." They are tiny in size compared to their Challenger brother, not to mention the Global Express.

I don't know what you mean by "middle of the pack." They are tiny in size compared to their Challenger brother, not to mention the Global Express.

Middle of the pack, meaning they don't have any attributes that make them stand out.

That market is packed already, with very capable single and twin turbo props and twin turbines, its no surprise these bouncing into and out of production, just look at Hawkers, Beechjet, Falcon 10 & 20 etc.

Much like Mooney...

Back