Garmin G1000 PC Trainer

jsstevens

Final Approach
PoA Supporter
Display Name

Display name:
jsstevens
I've searched POA, following the links I found and they are dead. I've used google and came upon some very sketchy links which I avoided. I've searched Garmin and they now sell various flavors of G1000 PC trainer-but none for the Diamond DA-40 series.

Am I correct in that the free one Garmin used to have is defunct? If I was going to buy one from Garmin, which one comes closest to the Diamond DA-40 version? The Archer?

Inquiring minds and all that...
John

Yes, I believe free G1000 trainers are defunct.

Some less attractive options are available in X-Plane.

They are expensive ($900), but my opinion is that the hardware based simulators are far superior. There is nothing like actually spinning knobs

I suspect none of these are are going to be Diamond specific.

$50 for Garmin SW wouldn’t bother me as long as it’s not negative training. I don’t want to spend $900 unless I own a plane (or partner in one) that has it. I’m preparing for an intensive IT training.

For just learning, spending $900 on flight time and spinning the knobs there is probably a better idea. The value of the hardware is using it with a simulator on an ongoing basis for recurrent training.

I see what you did there. Either that or it was an impressive Freudian slip
Darn it autocorrect! I’m tired of your shirt anyhow!

in all seriousness it was autocorrect.

The X-Plane one is probably your best cheapest option. But I agree with @bflynn, $900 bucks in the grand scheme of things is probably the best option if you know you are going to be flying a lot with the G1k.

First, unlike the GNS and GTN, the G1000 trainers from Garmin have never been free.

If you are talking about the non-NXi, MyPilotStore still carries it. But I would double-check it's the latest 12.01 version.

that aside, here's my take. I have G1000 trainers for three different aircraft, including the DA40.

For alternatives, the NXi, no. Way too many changes in both interface and functionality.

You can probably find an older Cessna NAV III version. As I recall, someone legit actually had it available for free. It will give you some buttonology experience, but there is a built-in problem with using cross-type G1000.

The G1000 is OEM-specific. That has two consequences. There were differences from the very beginning. For example, tapping the Engine button on a DA40 MFD gives you a full screen in engine information, but only a panel on the Cessna. The other consequence is different upgrade paths. The latest "legacy" NAV III has more capability than the latest "legacy' DA40 G1000. If you can get past that, if variations like that don't bother you, it will work for basic training.

x-plane? I haven't used it much but if the x-plane 530 is any indication, there are way too many limitations to use as a learning tool beyond getting used to the PFD and maybe some simple flight plans.

First, unlike the GNS and GTN, the G1000 trainers from Garmin have never been free.

If you are talking about the non-NXi, MyPilotStore still carries it. But I would double-check it's the latest 12.01 version.

that aside, here's my take. I have G1000 trainers for three different aircraft, including the DA40.

For alternatives, the NXi, no. Way too many changes in both interface and functionality.

You can probably find an older Cessna NAV III version. As I recall, someone legit actually had it available for free. It will give you some buttonology experience, but there is a built-in problem with using cross-type G1000.

The G1000 is OEM-specific. That has two consequences. There were differences from the very beginning. For example, tapping the Engine button on a DA40 MFD gives you a full screen in engine information, but only a panel on the Cessna. The other consequence is different upgrade paths. The latest "legacy" NAV III has more capability than the latest "legacy' DA40 G1000. If you can get past that, if variations like that don't bother you, it will work for basic training.

x-plane? I haven't used it much but if the x-plane 530 is any indication, there are way too many limitations to use as a learning tool beyond getting used to the PFD and maybe some simple flight plans.

OK, that is very useful information. The manuals they sent me were for the G1000-NXi for DA-40 (and that includes both the XLS (or T?) and the NG. There are explanations of the differences in the engine section.

I found a video course online and watched it (it's roughly and hour and is an introduction to each section including basic flight planning). So far it tracks what's in the manual. I do see the similarities between the 530/430 and the user interface on the G1000. I'll muddle through with this and when I get there we'll be using the Redbird and the air plane so I'm sure I'll get it together.

John

similarities between the 530/430 and the user interface on the G1000
Yes, you will find that basic flight planning and procedure loading is very similar to the GNS. One big difference - the G100 recognizes airways.
for the G1000-NXi for DA-40
Is that what you will be flying? An XLS or NG with a TXi? If legacy, you might find a few of the videos I made for my flying club a little helpful. They're not a basic course. They were related to a project I did this past spring/summer comparing Garmin and Avidyne avionics. But they are not long and you might find something helpful. We don't have many and the three which go into this are pretty easily identifiable.

Yes, you will find that basic flight planning and procedure loading is very similar to the GNS. One big difference - the G100 recognizes airways.

Is that what you will be flying? An XLS or NG with a TXi? If legacy, you might find a few of the videos I made for my flying club a little helpful. They're not a basic course. They were related to a project I did this past spring/summer comparing Garmin and Avidyne avionics. But they are not long and you might find something helpful. We don't have many and the three which go into this are pretty easily identifiable.

DA-40NG with Garmin G1000-NXi. I'll check the videos out.

DA-40NG with Garmin G1000-NXi. I'll check the videos out.
If you are NXi, the legacy Garmin trainer would not do you any good. And to a large degree neither will my Odyssey videos. The distance hold one is probably worthless. That's how "old" the legacy DA40 G1000 is. At least I hope the NXi will be at least as capable as an old Cessna NAV III.

BTW, have you looked at the Diamond Aviators online forum. Fairly active type-specific group.

If you are NXi, the legacy Garmin trainer would not do you any good. And to a large degree neither will my Odyssey videos. The distance hold one is probably worthless. That's how "old" the legacy DA40 G1000 is. At least I hope the NXi will be at least as capable as an old Cessna NAV III.

BTW, have you looked at the Diamond Aviators online forum. Fairly active type-specific group.

I have not. Thanks.

I don't find the G1000 NXi trainer to be one of Garmin's best efforts. I bought it for use in training on a Bonanza, but they shipped me the Cessna version. Two shipments later, I got the G36 version. It is buggy and is tempermental as to when it will start up or not and it is difficult to enter a flight plan without it cancelling all of your effort and making you start over. The fuel indication are X ed out. I would not recommend it. I found the Cessna version to work better.

Back