OSA

• Thread starter Bill S Preston Esq.
  • Start date
B

Bill S Preston Esq.

My wife said I sometimes stopped breathing lately but I don’t really snore alot and I don’t ever doze off. I went for a sleep study and have AHI 13.1 overall and 12.1 NREM AHI and 17.7 REM AHI and RDI 16.2. The report says the clinical interpretation is OSA mild-moderate.

I’m on basic med but was planning to go back to 3rd class some time. What should I ask for at the sleep study followup? Should I take a CPap if that’s what the doc says? Other threads say I would need a SI then but does that involve lots of extra tests and cost? If I lose weight later should I go back for another study?

You now have been diagnosed with OSA. It is a disqualifying issue. Whether you are on CPAP or not, to obtain a Class 3 medical, you WILL need a SI.

I don’t know the requirements on basic med, but with a diagnosis of OSA, does that mean you need to self ground until you begin CPAP use?

Calling Dr. Bruce, pickup on the white phone please?

For 3rd you need:
Copy of the sleep study
The machine’s bar graph record of you use, >75% of nights with >6 hrs’ use. First application 30 days minimum, subsequent years 360 days.
Doc’s office visit:appears well rested, no complaint of daytime sleepiness, complies nightly with CPAP, and on exam, no findings of art Heart failure.
Sign the use affidavit in the AME’s office.

Walk out with certificate......

Basic has no such limitation other than what you signing doc might have discussed with you....

Get the CPAP. Getting the SI the first time is a little tricky, but as long as you have the paperwork in order (see previous post) it’s not rocket science.

After that, it’s simply an annual renewal with updated versions of the same reports you needed the first time.

Please tell me why OSA is an issue. I can see why it is a health concern but not a flying concern. Fortunately I am able to tell my AME that I have no issues with this.

Please tell me why OSA is an issue. I can see why it is a health concern but not a flying concern. Fortunately I am able to tell my AME that I have no issues with this.
It’s the lack of sleep. Truck drivers falling asleep behind the wheel sort of thing. I haven’t looked up the research, but there are studies that show sleep loss compared to certain levels of blood alcohol content in reaction times.

An apnea event is when you stop breathing for a defined amount of time. CO2 builds up and then you gasp for air. The index is the calculated apnea and hypopnea events per hour. More than 5 is a problem. Each one of those events causes you to “wake up”. You aren’t really fully awake, but you aren’t really sleeping either. If you have an AHI of 17, that’s like someone shaking your shoulder every 3 or 4 minutes. If it’s bad enough it can leave you in a daily state of grogginess.

There were several high profile cases of airline pilots (in some cases BOTH pilots allegedly) falling asleep with followup indicating OSA.

In addition to what Matthew shared, If left untreated, sleep apnea can increase the risk of health problems, including: High blood pressure. Stroke. Heart failure, irregular heartbeats, and heart attacks.

Well, you'd have no idea if you were slumbering and not getting effective rest, stuck in phase 1a sleep, and never in the "effective zone".

Since 95% of accidents are due to PPP performance, and since untreated SA is = operating at a 0.04BAC, it's pretty hard to say if your "self monitoring" part of your thinking, is effective.

The necessity of screening and treatment is real. However, I think the FAA paper chase on CPAP use is moronic.

My wife said I sometimes stopped breathing lately but I don’t really snore alot and I don’t ever doze off. I went for a sleep study and have AHI 13.1 overall and 12.1 NREM AHI and 17.7 REM AHI and RDI 16.2. The report says the clinical interpretation is OSA mild-moderate.

I’m on basic med but was planning to go back to 3rd class some time. What should I ask for at the sleep study followup? Should I take a CPap if that’s what the doc says? Other threads say I would need a SI then but does that involve lots of extra tests and cost? If I lose weight later should I go back for another study?

Bill?, Did you really just post that?

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back