Help.. wing bolts AD

bahama flier

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
bahama flier
I have a Cherokee 6, I got to have my wing spar bolts examined and without cutting a hold in my wing, I might could use a bore scope but I don't know if it will get to it. There are bore scopes with 16 ft leads for under 50$, but I don't know if it could work its way to the bolts.

I know I am not the only one dealing with this, some one has tried the bore scope but I haven't seen the post or have missed it. A trainer 180 Piper had it wing fall of now everyone has to pay. Just like in school, let someone in class fart and everyone has to take the blame. If this will not work, I guess I will just cut a small hole under the wing at the bolts to stick a bore scope in it and put a small patch over it afterwards. Some bore scopes have such small diameter lead just a 3/8 hold should be enough. SUGGESTIONS PLEASE

First ; don’t drill any holes until all cards on table.

Have you discussed with A & P yet?

Yes, we are looking at the best options, he is also conferring with other AP's and their solutions

With a small hole, you can push in a small hole plug in it and remove it later for another inspection, but I shutter to think of putting a hole in my wing.

Does the AD not give a procedure to do the inspection?

I would be researching the actual written AD and Piper SB procedures and understanding what they say in lieu of advice on a forum for cutting or not cutting holes in things.

It sounds like you are mixing up two different AD's. The one that requires a corrosion inspection can be met in two ways. 1. Install an inspection port on the undersurface of the wing in the bay that allows you to see the aft side of the main spar. 2. Figure a way to get a borescope to look at the same spot. The port is not a big deal to install (need 2, 1 for each wing).
That AD has nothing to do with the ERAU crash and wing separation. That one requires an eddy current inspection by removing specific wing spar bolts.
Both AD's pretty clearly spell out which planes are in scope and also the means to comply.

We have been looking at suggestions from adding more inspection panels (cutting holes) to fuel tank removal, and bore scope, from on FAA paper.

We have been looking at suggestions from adding more inspection panels (cutting holes) to fuel tank removal, and bore scope, from on FAA paper.
Bluntly, get a different AP. This isn't that hard. I'm 99% sure you can get a borescope in by removing a bit of the wing seal between the fuselage and the wing on the bottom. But I'm still not sure you understand which AD you are complying with.

Here is the text of the AD regarding using a borescope
Use a lighted borescope capable of 10X or higher power magnification display through existing access points (e.g., wing root fairing, landing gear panels, internal lightening holes, or other access points depending on model).

Note that it specifies existing access points and suggests some. The alternative is to add an inspection port, that has a specific part number. This allows direct inspection and no borescope.

I agree with hang on #7 but not completely on #9.

it seems they are in initial planning stages of addressing “ the AD”.

Why another A & P?

It appears there a certain amount of discussion going on over which route to

pursue.

That’s probably true with a lot of folks.

I believe someone posted requesting a source for a lighted scope with 10x.

Replies were few if any.

I would be researching the actual written AD and Piper SB procedures and understanding what they say in lieu of advice on a forum for cutting or not cutting holes in things.
Actually, advise to not cut a hole in the wing is probably pretty safe to follow.

But I'm still not sure you understand which AD you are complying with.

Neither am I. I suspect there is a blending of two different recent ADs going on. The one requiring bolt replacement should not require any cutting (and also requires an inspector with a specific skill set and tools). If a mechanic thinks they need to cut in order to comply with that AD I think I'd seek another opinion.

The other AD, which may require cutting, has very specific instructions on where to place the holes and what materials to use. I really don't see much ability to deviate without proper authorization. Once again, if your mechanic wants to deviate from the instructions I think I'd be seeking a second opinion.

I dont know about the six specifically, but the rear spar can be inspected without the access holes by removing the lower root seal plate, very easy to do) and inserting the bore scope through the lightning holes in the rib. the only time you need it he access hole is if you need to do some clean up and treatment of the rear spar.

SUGGESTIONS PLEASE
Not enough information. Post the AD or ADs you are asking about along with the exact aircraft model number and the last 4 digits of your serial number. All ADs have specific instructions which must be followed or you can request an AMOC to comply with the AD in a different manner. But until you post the above info not much I can suggest.

The Ercoupes use 16 (count 'em 16!) inspection plates under the wings to check for corrosion ...

You are correct on the 16 holes in each wing in specific locations.

They were added by one of the two ADs that address corrosion.

Somewhat similar to the Piper ADs are various options for inspection.

The Center Section also is included and can be checked with a scope or

wing removal.

I’ve seen Citabrias with 20 some added holes to repair elongated nail holes in

wood spars.

My thought is adding access to wings that were originally fabric covered is

not a big concern.

However ; with Cherokees and Cardinals and others the skin is structural.

Adding access should be investigated before hand and use structural techniques.

Btw You often hear folks complain about the amount of holes in Mooney wings.

Well; some are for inspection and others are for access during repairs.

Since all look identical ; how do you tell them apart?

The Mooney Inspection Checklist identifies which are required to be removed

for inspections.

Only about 1/3 are required for that task.

Mooneys of the ‘90s actually have some panels riveted shut till needed,

There is an inspection port/plate kit available that is an easy installation, allows you to perform the inspection AD easily, and it's very similar to the port/plate installed by the factory to enable inspecting and servicing the bell crank. My A&P showed me the kit today, and we're ordering one for my plane. It'll give easy access to another area of the wing, enabling easier inspection, cleaning, and addressing of any corrosion found before it becomes a problem. Why NOT do it?!?

Avidflyer on Piper Forum has kits available now.

I think $60 for a pair.

Piper prices have gone up and availability down.

His kit is an “owner produced part” so check with Tech before order.

I think his doubler is pre-drilled and Piper is not.

Back