E6B in PPL written exam

Otto

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Otto
I was given a manual ASA E6-B and it has Special Equipment Suffix, Flight Plan Format, and GMT conversion written on the plate. I was wondering for when I go to take my written exam if they'll take it away from me because of what's written on it. Thanks!

I think you should be ok. What it’s more important is why are you still using the manual one. Buying on eBay an used electronic one for few dollars, will save you time, frustration and be more accurate and you will use it again if you’ll go for your commercial ticket. You can bring the manual along with the electronic one however, to calculate your WCA.

I was given a manual ASA E6-B and it has Special Equipment Suffix, Flight Plan Format, and GMT conversion written on the plate. I was wondering for when I go to take my written exam if they'll take it away from me because of what's written on it. Thanks!
When I took my written, they carefully inspected my e6b and plotter. They wouldn't let me use my calculator because it has a memory function, and wouldn't let me use my mechanical pencil for fear I might be hiding something inside it. Had to take off my watch, and I think maybe the hooded sweatshirt I was wearing. It was ridiculous.

I guarantee if you took an e6b with extra stuff written on it into that testing center they'd disallow it. I don't know if they're all that strict, but I think those are the rules as written.

They used to have the allowed materials in the Knowledge Test Guides, but they are no longer available on the FAA website. This AC probably still applies.

AC No: 60-11C
Subject: TEST AIDS AND MATERIALS THAT MAY BE USED BY AIRMAN KNOWLEDGE TESTING APPLICANTS

b. Manufacturer’s permanently inscribed instructions on the front and back of such aids listed in Par. 5(a), e.g., formulas, conversions, regulations, signals, weather data, holding pattern diagrams, frequencies, weight and balance formulas, and air traffic control procedures are permissible.

Don't forget to practice on my open-source E6B fanboy app. :)

https://e6b.org

I think you should be ok. What it’s more important is why are you still using the manual one. Buying on eBay an used electronic one for few dollars, will save you time, frustration and be more accurate and you will use it again if you’ll go for your commercial ticket. You can bring the manual along with the electronic one however, to calculate your WCA.
Which electric E6-B would you recommend?

ASA’s CX3.

I had an older Sporty’s one but the interface is horrid. The CX3 is much simpler to understand and use. Plus the inline unit conversion feature (such as mph to knots or °F to °C) comes in very handy at times. Lots of other useful features.

it is a bit pricey, but if you plan on progressing to other ratings and certificates, it will be a solid part of your flight kit.

An online version to play with can be found at https://online.prepware.com/cx3e/index.html

Agreed that these days not many folks use a manual E6B for actual flying, but if you learn to use one a practice a little, they are pretty handy. As far as accuracy, the accuracy is good enough for what you are using them for. :) I'm not sure whether or not the test center will let you take one in that has things handwritten on it. The things you described i wouldn't think would be disallowed, but just see if you can wipe them off.

None, actually. Your original post makes it sound like the information "written" on your E6-B is factory-printed. Should be totally good for the test. If it's a bunch of sharpie handwritten notes that someone put one there, no-go. You have everything you need to learn the calculations, pass the test, etc., without getting an electronic calculator, all the way through ATP certificate if you choose to go that far. OK, caveat, a simple arithmetic calculator, even the free solar ones from the bank, are good for weight and balance problems. Real-world bottom line, once a licensed pilot, you'll be using Foreflight, or any of the dozens of other flight planning apps/software, combined with on-board avionics (GPS, fuel totalizer, etc.), for your everyday requirements. But, for training, the old school whiz wheel is just fine. That said, if someone had "gifted" you an electronic E6-B, that would be fine, too. Either way, post-license, it'll end up in the lint-filled bottom of your flight bag.
Another caveat, I'm an old fart, long-time CFI, but, I can't tell you how many students I've had, coming from some other flight training operation with an electronic E6-B, perhaps getting the correct numerical answer to some problem, that were completely clueless with any fundamental understanding of the principles concerning fuel burn, wind correction, ground speed vs. true airspeed, etc. Bottom line, you're all set, learn the stuff, and go fly. (OK, Lewis Black rant off, time for a nap.)
P.S. To your original question, if the info on your E-6B is factory-printed, good to go!

Took ppl written two weeks ago. Go for the ASA CX3.

Density/Pressure altitudes, W&B to six stations, calculator, everything else you need.

Also very helpful with the pre-exam tests, some of which are extremely difficult to get the correct answers with the wonder wheel.

Last edited:
I originally learned on the manual E6B, but my techie side always hated how imprecise everything was. Got an ASA CX3 and haven't looked back. Get one if you can. The inline unit conversions like @AggieMike88 mentioned are a great time saver! It's coming in very handy doing cross country flight plans.

Back