Should I get my Psych Eval Prior to Submitting

Brennan Frost

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Bfro
I have been working with my local AME and we discussed that I will be differed.

I had a childhood ADHD diagnosis and saw a physician for depression in 2018. Based on other topics and responses in this forum, it looks like I will most certainly be required to have a psych eval.

My question is, should I have this evaluation done prior to submitting my paperwork to the FAA? I have not filled out the medexpress forms or officially had my physical, which I feel I will pass just fine. I’m hoping that by completing my eval prior to the FAA asking for it I will expedite the deferral process.

I have located a HIMs certified doc in Seattle who feels it would be beneficial to do it prior. I spoke to another AME in town who says I shouldn’t bother. So I’m lost at this point.

Any thoughts?

i’d seriously consider interviewing more AMEs until you got a more definitive answer.

the single most effective way to lose A LOT of time during this process is an AME who isn’t really sure...

Good question for Dr. Bruce who helped write the manual on this stuff. I suspect I know what his answer will be, but hopefully he'll check in here and let you know.

You can also query him at Aeromedicaldoc

I suspect the HIMS AME is correct. Getting all available info before submission will definitely speed things up. My guess would be a HIMS Psych would be needed or at least beneficial depending on the specifics. You would have to get that referral from your HIMS AME. The regular AME’s don’t seem to know what they are talking about with this stuff. I’ve been there.

AOPA medical services are useless. Don't expect any useful help from them.

The word is "deferred" by the way. If the AME knows what the FAA is going to want, then it will help to submit it sooner rather than later.

To be correct, Bruce helped write the SSRI SI rather than "the manual on all this." There's not enough information in your original post for anybody on the board to say, but I agree the HIMS guy probably has seen this more often than some regular AME. I can guess that the FAA is going to want to see a PPP workup (MMPI, ink blots, interview with at least a board-certified if not HIMS-approved psychiatrist) and possibly COGSCREEN. Start saving your pennies. This isn't going to be cheap and most of it will not be considered by insurance companies. You also can save time by digging up all the paperwork you have on past treatments.

Get with an AME that has experience with this for a consultation, or use a company like AMAS or left seat. They will review your history and determine what will be needed upon submission. If they just tell you to submit an application and wait for the FAA to contact you then find someone else to discuss your case with.

There is no need to play a paperwork back-and-forth game with the FAA.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back