Route from Lake Havasu to Western Texas

Practice your high altitude leaning procedures for take-offs. On the way to OSH, I've stopped at both Gallup and Grants-Milan in New Mexico, and they're both up in the thinner air.
Where I live, every takeoff is high density altitude from spring to fall. Thx for the tip though.

Depending on fuel (bladder?..) range, you can avoid the El Paso wind uncertainties by fueling in Safford AZ and then overflying ELP and landing further into Texas. If that isn't practical, landing to refuel in KLRU will work. I did the latter in September in my Cherokee due to insufficient bladder range. Whichever you choose, enjoy!

I do not know the service ceiling of your plane but there isn't really very high terrain between Havasu and West Texas. Since I once flew at gross in a 65 HP Aeronca Chief across the high Rockies west of Golden CO on the labor day weekend this trip sounds easy but maybe quite bumpy due to unstable air even when not windy. Take off at first light and you will be happier. Also look up soaring technique as it can let you climb well above service ceiling.

I do not know the service ceiling of your plane but there isn't really very high terrain between Havasu and West Texas. Since I once flew at gross in a 65 HP Aeronca Chief across the high Rockies west of Golden CO on the labor day weekend this trip sounds easy but maybe quite bumpy due to unstable air even when not windy. Take off at first light and you will be happier. Also look up soaring technique as it can let you climb well above service ceiling.
Thx for the soaring reminder. In my previous location I was in the habit of using the hills to improve the climb rate. Not a real option where im at now.

Back