RG Maintenance - Which are Good, Bad?

I’ve had a 177RG for 6 or 7 years. No gear related issues. I (and my I/A) do perform the gear checks listed in the service manual at least every annual but we’ve never had to adjust anything yet. I also haven’t seen much about gear related problems in the digest for Cardinal Flyers during that time.

It’s been a very easy RG to own and fly for me.

Gary

All retracts are not created equal, some are quite robust, some are pretty whacky. The Cessna hydraulic stuff looks ripe for big MX expense.
Have you ever owned a Cessna with retractable gear?

I purposely avoided the cessna rgs because of the hydraulic single point of failure gear. Was a partner in an arrow many years. Nice simple gravity drop system if hydraulics fail. I don't remember having any maintenance issues with it. Bought the Bonanza this summer. Nice mechanical system. It needs some rigging due to worn rod ends and such, but it is 30yrs old. I'm sure that will cost a few amus, but if it lasts another 30yrs, I'll take it.

Fair point. How does one go about finding a Mooney owner around Atlanta that would entertain "Hey, mind if I sit in your airplane for a while to see if I fit?" I'll have to nose around and see if there is a Mooney owners group that I can hook up with.
FWIW - rode in the back seat of our club's 'J' model Mooney, thought it was surprisingly comfortable. Way better than the back seats of a Cherokee or 172! Climbing in and out is the worst part. A pretty active Mooney group is mooneyspace.com

Good discussion. Long term planning, maybe own a plane in 3 - 5 years

1) Need a plane 135k min, 140 nice, 150 would be really nice - ability to carry 3 adults, or 2 children in a back seat would be nice. Something that sits somewhat upright and doesn't cause pain to be sitting in.
2) A 182 would be great, but I doubt if I could afford one and do the necessary panel upgrades, etc.
2) I need to avoid a $40,000 annual - hence while the 182 RG would be fantastic, I believe I'm looking at a huge risk. Who really knows what maintenance would have been done on a used 182RG that I will have bought? Same concerns with Cardinal RG.
3) I don't have 2-3 years to sit alone and build a plane in the basement.
4) Hence the comparison to an Arrow. They are a lot more affordable than a 182 right now.

Just trying to sort things out. Did I mention I like to plan things out??

Despite someone’s earlier sarcasm, Tiger.

Might consider a another angle. Which RG has the simplest and most bullet proof emergency extension process. They’re all going to take maintenance, some higher some lower, but when it doesn’t go down, (and it can happen w/all) when using the switch/lever - what’s the easiest and most reliable one to extend? @ that point I’m not interested in a Rube Goldberg contraption.

Might consider a another angle. Which RG has the simplest and most bullet proof emergency extension process. They’re all going to take maintenance, some higher some lower, but when it doesn’t go down, (and it can happen w/all) when using the switch/lever - what’s the easiest and most reliable one to extend? @ that point I’m not interested in a Rube Goldberg contraption.

Wouldn’t that pretty much by definition have to be the Mooney with the Johnson bar? Manual gear means no emergency extension system necessary.

Wouldn’t that pretty much by definition have to be the Mooney with the Johnson bar? Manual gear means no emergency extension system necessary.

That said, I am a Johnson bar fan, but it’s quite a leap from there to one of the piper twins that gave a whole new meaning to ‘critical engine’ (hyd gear w/a single hyd pump) combined a dismal SE climb. Of course then there’s the home built that used a cordless drill. :) Did anyone else make a manual gear?

Have you owned a monkey?

we are playing the game if irrelevant questions… aren’t we?

You do learn a breadth of information on this forum. So.... what is the maintenance on a monkey these days?

BTW - as I've learned that insurance hates older guys with retracts even more than I thought, I don't think I'll be able to do a retract anyway. So the question that was the core of this thread that I created might ironically be irrelevant for me now.

You do learn a breadth of information on this forum. So.... what is the maintenance on a monkey these days?

BTW - as I've learned that insurance hates older guys with retracts even more than I thought, I don't think I'll be able to do a retract anyway. So the question that was the core of this thread that I created might ironically be irrelevant for me now.

Well, we can resume backhoe facts then. :rolleyes:

Reactions: WDD
Every retract has its maintenance issues. Comanche has a 1000hr AD $5AMU (which is fine, I don’t mind the gear being rebuilt every 10yrs) but it’s a great system. Electric gear with the mooney Johnson bar emergency extension setup. My buddy does have a manual C-Model Mooney and has to do all pucks. This last annual he had to replace the nose gear due to a bent truss. All together, that costs the same as the Comanche. So I bet they all add up to about the same…. What’s a gear motor on a Bo cost now? Probably a couple grand?

Gear maintenance on my Tiger consists of changing the brake pads. :)
Despite someone’s earlier sarcasm, Tiger.
To own a Grumman you must first stare at the hypnotoad, then suddenly you will involuntarily repeat the mendacious chant, "Tigers are the greatest plane ever. Tigers are the greatest plane ever."
upload_2021-12-6_0-28-54.png

It really depends on how you’re using the monkey.

Good luck in the hunt for the right ride. I gave up and bought a motorcycle.

I never could find the right balance of cost/benefit to have an airplane for fun. Only could justify it for a revenue platform. I guess my flying has fully transitioned to a job. It’s still fun. But it’s not on my terms… first world problems.

Every retract has its maintenance issues. Comanche has a 1000hr AD $5AMU (which is fine, I don’t mind the gear being rebuilt every 10yrs) but it’s a great system. Electric gear with the mooney Johnson bar emergency extension setup. My buddy does have a manual C-Model Mooney and has to do all pucks. This last annual he had to replace the nose gear due to a bent truss. All together, that costs the same as the Comanche. So I bet they all add up to about the same…. What’s a gear motor on a Bo cost now? Probably a couple grand?
The gear motor overhaul was 1amu. I am told the gear rigging is 10-12 hours of labor plus parts. Probably find out next annual.

Back