Thank you Modern Marvels

Timbeck2

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Timbeck2
I was watching an episode on nuts. I love pistachios and can remember when they used to be dyed red or pink (cue the Naked Gun stakeout scene) and had always wondered why. Now I know. Most of them used to be imported from the middle East, namely Iran and they would let them fall off the tree and dry in the sun. Pistachios are harvested when they are still moist off the tree. Anyway, the soil discolors the outer shell so they dyed them red so nobody could tell the difference in one that was discolored and one that wasn't. In the states they aren't dyed because they never let them hit the ground and use automated drying techniques.

Interesting! Never knew that. Now I do. Or at least I think I know something someone said they saw on TV, which may or indeed may not be factual, but seems to make sense.

Thanks for that. I had never heard of it.

I forgot about the red pistachios. Now I'm trying to remember the last time I saw them colored like that. It has to be a long time ago.

I would guess mid to late 80's.

Makes sense. After pondering it for a while I was thinking mid '80s was the last time I remember seeing the bulk bins of red pistachios at the store. Guess my memory wasn't too far off.

That same red coloring is what they use in grey slurry.

Grey slurry is what you get after water blasting an animal carcass to remove all the sinew , tendons , and scraps of meat .... strain off the water , add red color , and make wieners.

We should have interminable meaningless orations about removing nuts..so-called "filbert ousters."

That one deserves some gaelic/celtic recognition for creativity...a MacAdamia Award.

That same red coloring is what they use in grey slurry.

Grey slurry is what you get after water blasting an animal carcass to remove all the sinew , tendons , and scraps of meat .... strain off the water , add red color , and make wieners.

...for some reason the "hog lips and a-holes" description of hotdogs has never bothered me, yet, yours is ghastly and horrifying. :eek:

We should have interminable meaningless orations about removing nuts..so-called "filbert ousters."

That one deserves some gaelic/celtic recognition for creativity...a MacAdamia Award.

I've heard that professors enjoy Academia nuts.

Professors ARE Academia Nuts.

...for some reason the "hog lips and a-holes" description of hotdogs has never bothered me, yet, yours is ghastly and horrifying. :eek:
And yet you still want one, just like these kids, right?

Negative Ghostrider.

It was part of the work that I did for a number of years. Learned a lot about food processing and sanitation. In the big picture the things I learned in food processing plants gave me a great confidence in the processing & delivery of products to the consumer. The sad part is that now there is so much being "added" to the product for many various reasons. Some are good and others not so good.

You should visit a few meat (chicken) processing plants. The sights & smells are difficult to forget ...

Back in my younger years when I worked as a mechanic there was a chicken processing plant outside of town. One day the truck that carries the chicken parts not used broke down. It was a 1 ton pickup with a custom made in 10 minutes plywood bed that held the leftovers. About 10 feet deep. Once a week or so it was dumped. The bed was full, the truck would not move and I had to replace the clutch. That is done by getting under the truck that is dripping rotting chicken parts. In Texas. In the middle of August. Under the hot sun. With temps in the upper 90s, and near 100% humidity.

All for 3.25 and hour.....

The bed was full, the truck would not move and I had to replace the clutch. That is done by getting under the truck that is dripping rotting chicken parts. In Texas. In the middle of August. Under the hot sun. With temps in the upper 90s, and near 100% humidity.

All for 3.25 and hour.....

Yep ... been in a couple of tough situations. At one particular chicken processing plant they had a trough from one building over to the other and all the parts that the humans won't/don't eat were sent over in the trough with the wastewater from the processing of the chickens. In the other building animal food was being made (dog/cat food) and the odor was absolutely unreal! I don't think three showers would be enough to wash the funk off!

The other real surprise is inspecting the "chicken houses" where these chickens are raised and produce the eggs sold in the stores. Some of that gets really hard to work around but it has to be done and if you're gonna do it ... suck it up and do it correctly!

The funny thing was that my mom had, until last summer when she moved to assisted living, a knife in the kitchen that dad got when he was in veterinary school, working as a meat inspector from the USDA. That was in the first part of the 1950s. Having meat never seemed to both them (or us).

Back