Worst halftime show of all time?

Worst halftime show of all time?

• Yes

Votes: 14 31.1%
  • Hellz yes

Votes: 31 68.9%

• Total voters
The Weeknd's career was going nowhere back when he his stage name was "Monday Morning."

Last edited:
The audio engineering was bad. I'm assuming he wasn't lip syncing because if he had, the audio would have been better.

I'd never heard of him but I've heard at least two of his songs a ton. It reminded me of the time I went to see U2 in concert a couple of years ago and OneRepublic opened for them. I'd never heard of them and then they proceeded to bang out 7 or 8 songs in a row that I was like "oh they do THAT song!". I couldn't begin to tell you the name of the songs but I've heard them a billion times and you probably have too.

image000000_a70f058d05f01a8a6bb2032acbaa11ed5a4eec42.jpg

I practiced trumpet. Real musicians don't have to dance, don't need backup dancers, don't need special effects, or even electricity. Although I had the sound completely off and watched very little of the halftime assault, and even then out of the corner of my eye by accident, I still, unfortunately, caught a few shots of performers holding violins and bows completely incorrectly pretending to be violinists. I mean, why hire actual violinists when you can just fake it, right?

I hate this stuff... as a musician, the fact that the populace gobbles up this garbage makes me sick. Yet one more reason I'm pretty convinced our society is doomed. Oh...and while I'm ranting... our national anthem, regardless of where you stand (pun intended), has a specific melody. It would be nice if someone who knew the melody, respected it, and subverted their own egos long enough to just sing the song correctly performed it. Renee Fleming did a great job a while back.

I didn't answer the poll. Impossible. It's like asking "which pile of dog poop is your favorite entree?".

Last edited:
No, you missed the Preachy Bowl. The football part was sort of interesting (wasn't it, Mr. Belichick?), but the rest of it ... meh.

All of sports is now preachy, and I'm getting tired of it. I just want to watch a game, I don't want to know your political beliefs, I don't want social posturing, I just want to watch a farging game.

Last edited:
Come on, you guys are so out of touch! It's The Weeknd (notice spelling)! :D

Because I know you care...

I have a 13-year old daughter. So I get corrected on this stuff!
"The Weeknd" IS the more appropriate spelling. Phonetically, it would be pronounced closer to "The Weakened," thus describing the minds of those behind that crap.

::shakes fist:: "You damned kids with your rock and roll music! And get a haircut!!!" :p

LOL... yep! Actually, long hair doesn't bother me at all, and there's certainly GOOD rock musicians. You know, the ones that rely on their ability, earned over many years of hours of practice every day, to actually play their instrument and/or sing in tune, in time, with an involving tone other than screaming or yelling, rather than relying on studio processing, autotune, choreography, and hair stylists to sell their "brand." That describes almost no current rock stars. Almost.

The runner on the field did liven things up:

Streaking was kind of a fad years ago. Part of what amuses me is the announcer's apparent inability to see the humor in the situation: "Put on your pants and be a man." :rofl:

And... on an unrelated note, but what the heck.. we are all here..

First.. I LIKE Tony Romo. His ability to analyze gameplay and strategy is second to none, and he's made so many accurate predictions as to how the next play will unfold that his clairvoyance is almost eerie. Yesterday wasn't his best effort, but I still like him.

HAVING said that... His fawning over the presence of Sarah Thomas as an official during one portion of the broadcast was, along with a bunch of other social justice warrior stuff throughout the broadcast, to be expected I guess. Personally, I think it's great we have qualified officials, and she does a good job. The gender of the officials is of no concern to me at all. I'm glad she's there as a qualified official. However, and I'm surprised this hasn't gone all over the internet by now although maybe I'm the only person who was struck by his commentary... as he was waxing on about how wonderful it was to have a woman official at the Super Bowl, what a tremendous job she does, and what a great example she was to young girls and women everywhere, he finished his soliloquy with "AND... she's got a lot of talent!" just as the camera showed a close up of her at chest level with her arms extended. Unfortuante and unintentional, I'm sure... but I found it very funny in my usual sophomoric way. On the other hand, he had already stated a zillion times what a great job she does and how able she is... what the heck did "AND she's got a lot of talent" mean?

Blame autocorrect.
Actually, autocorrect was acting a bit strange for me. It correctly used "The Weeknd " via text from iOS14 but in post#12 I had to manually force it to "The Weeknd" using a Mac.

Streaking was kind of a fad years ago. Part of what amuses me is the announcer's apparent inability to see the humor in the situation: "Put on your pants and be a man." :rofl:
Harlan has made a number of calls like that:

Watched something else during half time. Guess I didn't miss much. The poll should have had more options

First.. I LIKE Tony Romo. His ability to analyze gameplay and strategy is second to none, and he's made so many accurate predictions as to how the next play will unfold that his clairvoyance is almost eerie. Yesterday wasn't his best effort, but I still like him.

HAVING said that... His fawning over the presence of Sarah Thomas as an official during one portion of the broadcast was, along with a bunch of other social justice warrior stuff throughout the broadcast, to be expected I guess. Personally, I think it's great we have qualified officials, and she does a good job. The gender of the officials is of no concern to me at all. I'm glad she's there as a qualified official. However, and I'm surprised this hasn't gone all over the internet by now although maybe I'm the only person who was struck by his commentary... as he was waxing on about how wonderful it was to have a woman official at the Super Bowl, what a tremendous job she does, and what a great example she was to young girls and women everywhere, he finished his soliloquy with "AND... she's got a lot of talent!" just as the camera showed a close up of her at chest level with her arms extended. Unfortuante and unintentional, I'm sure... but I found it very funny in my usual sophomoric way. On the other hand, he had already stated a zillion times what a great job she does and how able she is... what the heck did "AND she's got a lot of talent" mean?

https://babylonbee.com/news/first-female-referee-throws-flag-on-play-but-wont-say-whats-wrong

There was a comment last night when Tyrann Mathieu was complianing to her about a pass interference call: "Good luck trying to convince HER to change her mind!"

--

To be fair: Those officials are rated after every game. If they don't make the grades, they don't get that SB gig.

All of sports is now preachy, and I'm getting tired of it. I just want to watch a game, I don't want to know your political beliefs, I don't want social posturing, I just want to watch a farging game.
Tell me about it... That was really getting on my nerves!

That guy has a fantastic voice but the songs are a little meh for me.

I missed it. But laying into the Happy Water at 2:30 pm will cause that. Dancers in masks alone would have caused me to hit the switch activity button, and I like The Weeknd.

Watching any politican make a speech

ah, another plus for using a DVR and skipping all the blather between plays...

(I just have to remember to not skip the commercials when watching a superbowl... but the commercials last night were a waste of time)

Just curious where Springsteen's intense feelings of unity and "we're all in this together" were the past couple years... ?

And the "Defy Logic" slogan commercial. Seems like that goes without saying these days....

I am almost, but not quite, as interested in LeBron James' thoughts on politics and economics, as he is in watching me shoot jumpers from the free-throw line.

I practiced trumpet. Real musicians don't have to dance, don't need backup dancers, don't need special effects, or even electricity.

Haha. Awesome rant. There are some musicians who could pull off both real talent and dancing. MJ comes to mind.

But he also hired people like this ... a pure machine behind a drum kit...

Moffett is amazing. Sadly back in the MJ days I assumed (because he’s so freaking TIGHT) that it was sampled drums. Sigh.

My favorite comment on one of his YT videos is, “Before Michael Jackson started singing for him, Sugarfoot was raised by a group of metronomes”

Ah here it is, on this video. Sheesh. Amazing.

(Edit: Fixed second YT link.)

Haha. Awesome rant. There are some musicians who could pull off both real talent and dancing. MJ comes to mind.

But he also hired people like this ... a pure machine behind a drum kit...

Moffett is amazing. Sadly back in the MJ days I assumed (because he’s so freaking TIGHT) that it was sampled drums. Sigh.

My favorite comment on one of his YT videos is, “Before Michael Jackson started singing for him, Sugarfoot was raised by a group of metronomes”

Ah here it is, on this video. Sheesh. Amazing.

(Edit: Fixed second YT link.)

The Smooth Criminal video is a perfect example of the KISS-method for drummers. Solid beat, some decent fills, but nothing over the top and it compliments the music well. Many drummers like to throw in a lot of complex rhythms and note-heavy transitions/fills to show "how good they are". A lot of what makes a drummer great is ability to keep time like a metronome and be able to step forward/pull back when appropriate. Every song doesn't have to have a solo. He also used well-played rudiments in places which, while subtle, add quite a bit of musical texture.

The second video he got to stand out a bit more, especially for the written drum solo. I always find cymbal placement/selection to be interesting, as it's generally very different from drummer to drummer. Moffett is a either a Zildjian guy, or sponsored by them as everything I could see was same brand. He also uses a DW metal snare with a shallow body which gives that high-pitched staccato/metallic sound. Pro-mark nylon sticks give a last little bit of pop as well.

@denverpilot Nate... check THIS out. Admittedly, like the link to Moffett's great stuff, there's a lot of studio tools being utilized here, and this music ain't "where I live," (I'm a Bill Evans/Scott LaFaro/Paul Motian kind of guy/player) but this band is insane. Bass player is killin'... check out the lick at 3:02 and his solo at 3:40... and Alvaro Lopez, the drummer and leader, has some insane breaks at 4:15. This band is the DEFINITION of infectious groove.

Just curious where Springsteen's intense feelings of unity and "we're all in this together" were the past couple years... ?

And the "Defy Logic" slogan commercial. Seems like that goes without saying these days....

Speaking of the commercials, don't know if you saw it but I don't think I'll be switching soap soon. And the one from Robinhood. "Everyone is an investor." Be good if you let people know there are risks involved, ffs.

Last edited:
@denverpilot Nate... check THIS out. Admittedly, like the link to Moffett's great stuff, there's a lot of studio tools being utilized here, and this music ain't "where I live," (I'm a Bill Evans/Scott LaFaro/Paul Motian kind of guy/player) but this band is insane. Bass player is killin'... check out the lick at 3:02 and his solo at 3:40... and Alvaro Lopez, the drummer and leader, has some insane breaks at 4:15. This band is the DEFINITION of infectious groove.

Damn that’s nice. The guitarist has shades of Larry Carleton in his solo technique too.

There’s a tiny little drum fill at about 2:20 that speaks to how good Lopez is. He sneaks it in there and it’s just in a perfect spot but he doesn’t do it every dang time around the phrase.

He also uses a roll fill around 5:47 ish to get out of solo mode and back into the end groove.

That’s really nice.

As Rick Beato would say, “So in the pocket!”

I got such a kick out of Rick’s posting of this last week. Wynton is another machine, just on a horn. Made me want to go see Wynton live again.

That music shift for the drum solo had a Mario Bros "Underground Theme" vibe to it.

Isn't the whole woman official thing just a big self own by the NFL? The officials aren't elected or selected at random, the NFL picks them. So they're really just saying they never picked a woman before now. OTOH, if there's never been a qualified woman before now, isn't a diss on women officials? Or is she the only woman, in which case, did she get chosen because of her ability or because she was the only option?

Isn't the whole woman official thing just a big self own by the NFL? The officials aren't elected or selected at random, the NFL picks them. So they're really just saying they never picked a woman before now. OTOH, if there's never been a qualified woman before now, isn't a diss on women officials? Or is she the only woman, in which case, did she get chosen because of her ability or because she was the only option?
bb21e22d01f958026e9087aeed871bfa.jpg

Come on, you guys are so out of touch! It's The Weeknd (notice spelling)! :D

Because I know you care...

I have a 13-year old daughter. So I get corrected on this stuff!

Well like I said, I'd never even heard of him much less how to spell his name until this SB. :D

Back