CFI expired, reinstatement needed, outfit recommendations?

Kissmekate

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Kissmekate
Hi,
I’ve been out of the cockpit for 15 years. When I went 121, I let me CFI,CFII and MEI expire which I regret. Now I need a reinstatement but I’m looking for a training center that can help me get up to speed for the reinstatement check ride in a short amount of time. Any recommendations? American Flyers? ATP? I’d like to do it somewhere with reliably good weather like Arizona since I live in Washington State which isn’t the most conducive place for flight training and check rides. You can go weeks before the next weather allows!

You would only need to do one checkride to reinstate all your instructor ratings. I would find a part 61 flight school and get prepped for the CFII ride. Additionally since you've been out of the cockpit for 15 years you should take some time just with an instructor just to get current.

Thanks Jayhawk74. I've gotten recurrent with a Flight Review and an IPC in the last year or so and have been flying recreationally fairly regularly. You mentioned I should do a CFII ride and was wondering why CFII and not CFI? If one checkride reinstates all of my other ratings does it matter which in specific I do it for? Or are you saying that doing a reinstatment for a CFII would be the easiest/quickest?

I have thought about getting mine current again. I also let it lapse, and last time one of the FAA inspectors on my jumpseat called it good, and made it recurrent. That was really nice. Capt 121 ops sufficed at at that time. No idea what it takes now. I wouldn't mind helping fledgling pilots, or mentoring. But I have no real desire to sign off ANYTHING !

If you look at the requirements if you do the CFI for reinstatement some of the maneuvers have to be done in a complex aircraft. Additionally you have to do landings, ground reference maneuvers as well as the airwork. For the CFII you can do it in any SE aircraft and all you do is airwork and approaches (while under the hood). So yes the CFII is easier and quickest. When I did mine it was 0.7 flight time

Oh I see that now. This is helpful, thank you jayhawk74 for pointing me in the right direction to start with. Here I go!

I have done a number of sport pilot CFI checkrides in Light Sport Aircraft that reinstate all CFI ratings. Easier since only sport pilot maneuvers required but harder since you have to learn all the sport pilot, CFIS and LSA regulations/procedures.

Back