ATL to BOS/PVD in Piston Single

eventualpilot

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
eventualpilot
Not really a what should I buy, more of a what’s best for the mission in relation to what is available to rent in the area. With a mid-term goal (2-4 years) to look for a partnership in the area (ideally KCNI).

Private pilot with about 200 hours. Planning to finish up Instrument rating this summer. Primary purpose would be flying from ATL area to BOS/PVD area 2-3 times per year and perhaps 1 or 2 additional trips to other parts of the northeast. Piston single for now with some speed.

Currently available aircraft (rental or flying clubs) are Piper Lance, Cessna 182RG, and Cirrus SR22. 182RG would be the cheapest option. Any reason to go with Lance or SR22?

Last edited:
I don't fully understand the question. any and all of the planes you listed could make that flight.

By yourself? No need for a Lance then.

From what I can fathom from this post...

The following rental or club aircraft are available in your area: Lance, 182RG, SR22, Bonanza (club).

You would consider a Comanche, Saratoga, Mooney (of some type), 210... but these may not be available for rent or club.

There wasn't a question buried in this post, but as the esteemed Mr. E. M. Ann1200 mentioned, any/all of these fine example of flying machines would make the trip.

I guess the question is... are you qualified to rent any of these aircraft and/or would a Bonanza club be willing to initiate you via double secret ceremony despite your lack of time in type and not having an IR?

I’d probably go with the Cirrus for a mission like that.

Or the Bo. Because.. well... Bonanza.

You want something reasonably comfortable and relatively fuel-efficient. Fuel stop somewhere midway - probably DC area - will give you a minute to stretch legs.

*IF* you are going to file IFR and accept the Shark Route (V268 over MANTA), you'll want something that can go higher - e.g. Turbocharged.

Of the ones you mentioned, I'd probably look at the SR22 because of the chute - and I might think about at least floatations vests.

I'm in Atlanta and have flown up to that area a few times. Twice to the Cape, another to Glens Falls, NY and NYC. We hoping to make a trip up there thus summer as we couldn't go last summer due to COVID.

First time was in an Arrow, so any of those planes are faster.

I like the SR22, which I have now, but any of those are good. The Lance may have more seats, but check the W&B. You may find they're not as useful as you might think.

Sent from my SM-G781U using Tapatalk

Delta or United.

Not trying to be a wisearse, but when going direct from one major airport to another, comm air is hard to beat. A one way flight from ATL to BOS costs $200 bucks and takes 2 hours and 30 minutes.

GA is slower, more expensive, less safe, and more sensitive to weather. Winter in New England is no joke. Where GA beats comm air is frequent, flexible trips of short and middle range to/from areas not served by hubs.

Last edited:
Delta or United.

Not trying to be a wisearse, but when going direct from one major airport to another, comm air is hard to beat. A one way flight from ATL to BOS costs $200 bucks and takes 2 hours and 30 minutes.

GA is slower, more expensive, less safe, and more sensitive to weather. Winter in New England is no joke. Where GA beats comm air is frequent, flexible trips of short and middle range to/from areas not served by hubs.

Who wants to go there in the winter? Yuck!

Right from downtown Atlanta to downtown Boston, yeah the airlines are better in many ways. Someone near CNI is easily 45-60 min from ATL with no traffic.

If they are using Boston as the major airport, but not actually going near Logan then it might work out. My first trip to Cape Cod I flew an Arrow; went to hang out with our neighbors that have a place there. On the way back we dropped off our neighbor at the bus stop in Hyannis, he was taking the bus to Logan; they work for an airline. We then stopped to get breakfast, then went to the airport at Hyannis, returned the return car and paid for parking and fuel. We stopped in Virginia for lunch, which took awhile, then flew home. Our neighbor called a little while after we were home. He was surprised I answered. He asked where I was. He was shocked when I told him I was at home; next door to his house in Atlanta. He had just landed at ATL, still had to get his car and drive home.

Yeah, I beat him home in an Arrow. :cool:

Next trip up there we flew a Baron and he flew back with us. :D He liked that option much better. ;) Plus we carried back some things they bought in MA for their house in Atlanta. They were wondering if they could get them on the airliner (both worked for that airline, maintenance manager and flight attendant). I said “We can just throw those things in the Baron with us.” Made it a lot easier.

Depends upon exactly where you start and end up, plus what you want to bring with you.

We’ve brought home farm fresh eggs from a friend in Minnesota, as well as a bag of rutabaga, on one trip. Bourbon and Rye whiskey on trips to Lexington and Louisville.

Plus flying private is typically a lot more fun.m. And I don’t have to deal with the TSA; which is worth quite a bit most days.

This is one where GA could be competitive with the airlines. 1 to 1.5 from Cherokee Co to ATL. Gotta get there at least an hour before departure. Then you 2 hours later you arrive at BOS. If you're going downtown for Revere, you're done. But If you're going to Framingham, Lowell or NH, then you've got to add about another hour on top of that. So now you're at 5.5 to 6 door to door. My 182RG would do that in about 5.5 hours. Throw in a fuel stop and you're at 6 hours. No baggage restrictions, and no TSA.

For me, it was a no brainer going to the NH seacoast.

In the Velocity it would have been 4.2 hours. Even my bladder could handle that.

Now if I had to rent? Tough call. Not sure what a 182RG or Cirrus rents for. I would think that could get expensive.

182RG. Good airplane for your mission. No use stressing over the other options. Plenty fast with 2 people, 2-3 times a year.

This is one where GA could be competitive with the airlines. 1 to 1.5 from Cherokee Co to ATL. Gotta get there at least an hour before departure. Then you 2 hours later you arrive at BOS. If you're going downtown for Revere, you're done. But If you're going to Framingham, Lowell or NH, then you've got to add about another hour on top of that. So now you're at 5.5 to 6 door to door. My 182RG would do that in about 5.5 hours. Throw in a fuel stop and you're at 6 hours. No baggage restrictions, and no TSA.

For me, it was a no brainer going to the NH seacoast.

In the Velocity it would have been 4.2 hours. Even my bladder could handle that.

Now if I had to rent? Tough call. Not sure what a 182RG or Cirrus rents for. I would think that could get expensive.

Moving to Forsyth County in few months and will be 25 mins from KCNI.

Most of my family lives about 45-60 minutes southwest of KBOS. On a good VFR day I could land at 1B9 or 1B6, otherwise probably KOWD or KSFZ.

The club 182RG (KRYY) rents for $160/hr tach and probably would be the way to go in the short term. The Cirrus is about double that and Lance is $205/hr Hobbs (both at PDK). I'll have to see what is available at KCNI.

Back