Registration

L.C. Gray

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
L.C. Gray
With the COVID disruption on how long has it been taking to get back new registrations from the F A & A?

My renewal was processed promptly.

Do your aircraft reg on line and it's near instant for $5. The paper cert will arrive in 3-4 days. All computer generated, no humans involved.

Do your aircraft reg on line and it's near instant for $5. The paper cert will arrive in 3-4 days. All computer generated, no humans involved.
Which works if you have your magic number from the renewal letter and you have NO CHANGES. Otherwise, it goes in their slush pile and takes three or four weeks.

Wasn't aware you can do that but this being a change of ownership, I doubt that can be done online.

Wasn't aware you can do that but this being a change of ownership, I doubt that can be done online.

It can't to my knowledge. We sold my fathers C150 back in late November and the new registration still hasn't been processed. The FAA site says "We are processing documents received on approximately November 20, 2020."

With the COVID disruption on how long has it been taking to get back new registrations from the F A & A?
It takes a while. There's about a 2-month delay. About 2 weeks of that is a snailmail quarantine. You can bypass that if the bill of sale and application for registration were digitally signed.

Word to the wise. Be sure the documentation is correct. Unless you are very familiar with the process, errors are very common. Misspelled names, incorrect titles and collateral documents if there's a entity involved. And each error will set you back an additional 2+ months — the 2 month delay in processing, the delay in sending the paperwork back to you, the delay to get it right (hopefully), and the new 2 month delay. Fortunately, they are pretty good about extending the validity of temporary registrations.

Back