Tell me about the PA-46 Matrix (especially compared to the PA-32R)

After you get your instrument rating and a few hundred hours in a Bonanza or high performance retract single, you can buy your dream airplane and hire a pilot to fly with you. Insure it based on the hired pilot, build time in the airplane with the pilot and then you become insurable. :D Not ideal, but it should work. Honestly, you don’t want to be flying a pressurized turboprop without a good bit of real world flying under your belt. Most are fairly simple to operate, but the difference between 110 knots and 260 knots is huge! If it’s your dream, go for it!! Nothing like the smell of Jet-A
Be careful with this. When I was getting insurance quotes for twins and ended up curled into the fetal position weeping, my broker did tell me that I could not only list my instructor and log 100 hours of dual before adding myself as a pilot. Basically, if you’re getting instruction in the plane, you need to be listed as a pilot. Of course, that’s just the small subset of insurance carriers that would even look at me as a new multi engine pilot, so your mileage may vary. The key is to find a good insurance broker who understands what you want to do and will help you find coverage to do it.

Be careful with this. When I was getting insurance quotes for twins and ended up curled into the fetal position weeping, my broker did tell me that I could not only list my instructor and log 100 hours of dual before adding myself as a pilot. Basically, if you’re getting instruction in the plane, you need to be listed as a pilot. Of course, that’s just the small subset of insurance carriers that would even look at me as a new multi engine pilot, so your mileage may vary. The key is to find a good insurance broker who understands what you want to do and will help you find coverage to do it.
OP definitely needs to get his brokers blessing on whatever he decides to do. He’s going to need a babysitter for quite a while if he buys what he wants. Insurance companies hate private pilots flying turboprops, I’ve got a lot of twin and turbine time and I usually only get a couple replies when I renew. The insurance companies really control what we do, if we need to insure.

That would be faster and I like idea of having one in the beginning! Do you think a year or so of a lot of flying accompanied?
I

Here's the thing: 250 hours is enough for an IR and Commercial certificate. It is much easier to rack up silly hours over the course of a year by flying to everything- date night, pizza takeout, grocery shopping- and punching your IR and Commercial ticket within a year, than it is to go to the insurance people as a PPL with 50 hours.

A Commercial cert >> PPL for anything that flies in the flight levels.

Back