c172 VS high tension lines

Wagondriver

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
375Taylor
https://www.postindependent.com/new...e-plane-crash-south-of-silt-sunday-afternoon/

I know the pilot. A friend and I went and looked at the wreck from the air. Hard to believe anyone survived. Also hard to figure a good reason to be in a position to hit the wires.

There are power lines all over that area, big ones, medium sized ones, small ones. Going all different directions. The one they hit was a pretty big one with steel derrick towers. wires probably less than 100 feet high, with higher terrain very close to the wires in the direction he was flying.

Yikes. Maybe a little NOE showing off? The world's flattest approach? They were more than two nautical miles from the airport.

Damn, lucky to survive that twisted mess, time to buy a lotto ticket!

That’s insane! So glad everyone survived! Looking at that mess I can’t believe it didn’t catch fire. Maybe they ran out of fuel?

The pilot has posted flying videos on his facebook page. One video shows him doing VERY low, zig zag back and forth across a highway, with cars going by underneath. From the videos that I have seen, it is clear that he has very poor decision making and risk assessment skills.

I do not believe there was any loss of power. There is no reason to be where he was other than doing things that are highly risky. From what I have heard, he was a low time pilot. As far as I know, until about 2 months ago he had not flown for many years.

The airplane was not his.

Back