Can you learn to fly on a F33A?

If my SO had an F33, there is no question I would train in it. When you add up the training in 172 and the transition time to F33, plus the huge hassle and expense of going through a flight school (compared to your plane and your husband), I think it's a much better decision to go with the F33. I bought my 182 before my first lesson. The only thing that's different is the gear, so no big deal.
I learned from scratch in a 182 as well. I am confident that retract gear would not have slowed my training that much. So I want to also suggest that you learn to fly your Bo....but...

Its a pretty fast plane and maybe that's the first real strike.

The next strike might be your insurance. However, if you own the plane with your husband and he's got a ton of hours and ratings your insurance may be ZERO! This happened for me during PPL. Our insurance never went up a penny and has stayed at my wife's rate to this date. Back in the day husband's thought or wanted their wives to learn but the actuaries (or the rich pilots) must have figured most of the hours would be with the hubby so they just added the wife at no extra cost. When this happened we call and talked to the underwriter and said its not a mistake. So you may have no insurance bump if you learn in your own plane (can be your husband or another CFI). Check first.

Last thought. Do you want your husband to teach you? You know each other a lot better than a CFI you hire. If your husband is the most patient person on the planet...awesome!! Otherwise there might be some tense moments in the plane.

You are so going to love being PIC while your husband rides along in the right seat. Flying as a couple is a rare treat!

Please understand that I asked this question here because I wanted an honest answer. Straight out asking him could be awkward, especially if the answer was “no”. I wanted a heads up so I could express interest in learning at the local flight school if the Bonanza was a bad aircraft to begin flying with.

Good idea to get an independent opinion. May have been mentioned earlier, but I didn’t see is the F33A aircraft insurance policy may not allow for primary instruction to be given in the aircraft, or may have limitations that could impede your ability to act as PIC (fly solo) in that aircraft. For example, the policy could state a covered pilot must have 10hrs time in make/model AND 50 hours PIC in complex or retractable gear aircraft.

In marriage, many things are jointly owned; in aviation matters, that theory does not exist when it comes to aeronautical experience requirements.

Start out in a 172 or piper Cherokee (Cherokee may be better being low wing) and get the basics down to see if you like it then transition into the bonanza. I bought my F33A after I my solo and started training in it. I figured while I’m paying for training I would rather get it in the plane I plan on flying. The bonanza is a complex plane but it is not hard to fly and it is a faster plane and you need to stay ahead of it but it can also fly slow until you are comfortable with it. Cherokee for basics, then bonanza to incorporate prop management, gear, and increased speed. IMO the handling and maneuvers were a lot better in the bonanza. Good luck with getting your PPL!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm in the simple (172 or whatever) trainer camp, as most others.
I don't think anyone has mentioned insurance. At some point, as a student pilot, you have to log solo time, I'd bet insurance rates for student solo in a Bonanza will be fairly expensive.

Edit: ooops, I didn't see Sinistar's comments regarding insurance.

Last edited:
Husband bought a Bonanaza F33A. He’s been flying for 30 years. I want to learn to fly at some point myself.. could I learn to fly on a Bonanza or will it be too much?

Note: I have not asked hubby to teach me.. I’d rather find out if I should just start on a 152 or 172 before I bring the subject up. He’s a CFI II so he could be my instructor but he doesn’t know I’m interested in learning yet.

Lots of people learn to fly in a retractable gear complex aircraft. In the end, it is not that much more to learn. Might take a bit longer to solo, but so what.

I would recommend someone other than your hubby teaching you however. IMX, that strains most relationships. Yours might be different. I am going on probability here.

Lots of people learn to fly in a retractable gear complex aircraft. In the end, it is not that much more to learn. Might take a bit longer to solo, but so what.

I agree. I’ve given primary training in bonanzas in the past. It took a bit longer to solo due to some of the additional complexities but it didn’t require a significant amount of extra time.

OP seems to have been provided the answer/discouragement she came here in search of.

We ran a 33 in our flight school. While it was not intended for primary, we had two students insist they wanted to get their PPLs in the thing, as that was what their ultimate goal was -- to fly something HiPo/Complex.

I think it added about 20 hours to their training.

It can be done just fine if you want it badly enough.

Last edited:
I think you should ask yourself this question, not anybody else. Take a discovery flight in a 152/172, take a lesson in the Bo, decide for yourself if the Bo is too intimidating for you. If it is, then get started in the 152/172, switch to the Bo when you're ready (maybe after a few lessons, or even after your check ride). You certainly could learn in the Bo, if you really wanted to.

They call them “trainers” for a reason. Training aircraft teach you the basic skills in a simple aircraft at a speed that allows you to react without damaging the aircraft or yourself. Never heard of anyone refer to a Bonanza as a trainer. As was mentioned, people have trained in high-performance aircraft but would have learned basic skills better in a dedicated training aircraft.

Its really cool you want to learn to fly!!

I would also suggest starting in a more typical trainer. Stuff like 172's are much more durable for learning to land in crosswinds - they can tolerate quite a bang into the runway with side loading while you sort out how a cross control feels, the round out and landing. Get a feel for it in a basic trainer and then switch to the F33 later on.

I'd rent a 172 until you solo, after solo switch to the Beech, re-learn to land, re-solo, and then do all the cross country and checkride prep work in the Bo since that is what you'll fly anyway.

If you start in a F33A, you won't know the difference either.
Probably true. I've never flown one, but I'm sure one could learn to fit in it. My concern would be more fur the abuse the plane might suffer.

If you start in a F33A, you won't know the difference either.

IF you start in Citation jet will you know the difference?
Just askin'

@Jessica Palmer - I had a similar "request" from my girlfriend. My plane is an RV-6A. Answer was: No, but you can transition to it when you've got about 100 hours in your logbook. Hasn't happened yet.

This being your husband might yield a different answer, but at a minimum I'd suggest you get to solo in a rental, then when you're landings are more better think about switching to the Bo.

Also, sometimes spouses aren't the best instructors for you. Example: I tried to teach a girlfriend to ski. She didn't learn how to ski, but she did learn how to not be my girlfriend. Probably a win-win, in retrospect, but I don't think you should take the chance. :)

Husband bought a Bonanaza F33A. He’s been flying for 30 years. I want to learn to fly at some point myself.. could I learn to fly on a Bonanza or will it be too much?

Note: I have not asked hubby to teach me.. I’d rather find out if I should just start on a 152 or 172 before I bring the subject up. He’s a CFI II so he could be my instructor but he doesn’t know I’m interested in learning yet.
Whatever you decide to do, please don't be a stranger to PoA. Get your husband to join so we can abuse him, too:)

IF you start in Citation jet will you know the difference?
Just askin'
No, but you'll notice if you try in the space shuttle.

They call them “trainers” for a reason. Training aircraft teach you the basic skills in a simple aircraft at a speed that allows you to react without damaging the aircraft or yourself. Never heard of anyone refer to a Bonanza as a trainer. As was mentioned, people have trained in high-performance aircraft but would have learned basic skills better in a dedicated training aircraft.

They call them trainers because they are cheaper and not much good for anything else.

There isn't anything that a trainer will teach than an F33A will not.

Pick up a T-Craft , get your certificate in a tail wheel. Keep it or sell it after getting your PPL. You willt have a blas

NO NO NO T-Cart Make it an Aeronca Champ. :D

I guess it's the old Army guy in me but I believe you should train like you going to fight. It's harder that way but when the training wheels come off you'll be better prepared.

I do recommend the first 10-12 hours in a rental. It's abuse an owned plane doesn't need.

It'll probably take longer because there are more things. But maybe not longer than regular training plus good transition training. The people saying it'll take longer are right, but is it a race?

Flying frequently in the same plane is always helpful. Easier to do when you own the plane.

Having your husband teach you would be trading money for stress. At some point you'll be mad at your CFI, you OK with that?

But whatever you do, do something and join our ranks. Welcome!

Back