Motorcycles?

• Yes, have them, love them

Votes: 103 57.2%
  • Yes, used to have them

Votes: 61 33.9%
  • No, won't touch them with a stick

Votes: 16 8.9%

• Total voters
I used to ride back in college and have ridden a few bikes of friends since then. Lack of spousal support and spending the last few years volunteering as an EMT has curbed my interest in getting back into bikes. Didn't help this past Saturday in Ocean City NJ that a bike slammed head-on into a car making a left turn at an intersection while we were standing there getting ready to cross on foot.

Since the wife was enthusiastic about buying a plane I didn't complain.

If I did have a bike today, it would be either a '79 Honda CBX or a more modern Suzuki DL1000 V-Strom.

Started riding in 2005. All I wanted was a cheap way to commute to work. The Honda Rebel did that. Then....ummm....the madness took hold. I think we have 30 in the garage now. Wouldn't be that many but we seem to need two of each, his and hers. :)

BMW's:
pair of F650GS's
R1200C
R850R
R90 with hack
R75/5 SWB
R45/N
Hondas:
pair of Rebel's.
Shadow Aero (for sale)
CRF230
CBR250R
pair of NT700's
NC700
CB500X
Guzzis':
pair of Nevada's
baby Breva
V7 Classic
Cali EV
V11 EV
Scura
several Stornellos
Triumph Bonneville (for sale)
Kawasaki Super Sherpa
baby Ninja
Suzuki TU250
Suzuki DR200

Goldwing, its nice having 6 cylinders.

Longest day: 754 miles. That included riding up and down the Pigtrail in NW Ark that day. I demand bonus miles for that. Do you know what it is like to take 1,400 pounds through the Pigtrail, Push Mountain, Dragon, The Skyway, the Snake, Devils Triangle or Bear Shlt Road?

Favorite T shirt: Loud clutches save lives. Loud mufflers are pointed to the rear from where 5% of the impacts come. I have 300 watts of light facing forward from where 70% of the collision come.

I am a pilot and have done some aerobatics.
I have skydived.
I have rappelled out of helicopters.
I've dated psychotic bipolar women.
I've sat in a bar in Chicago during a Bears-Packers game and yelled support for the Packers (not a fan, it is just fun to do).
I've driven in China.
I tried to ride a bull... once... for about two seconds.

Ride a motorcycle? What? Do you think I'm crazy??!!

Now excuse me while I go practice my chainsaw juggling.

:goofy:

Worst accidents I fly are motorcycle accidents. Doesn't matter if you're wearing a helmet or not, you're gonna get messed up.

I don't drive one because of the things I've seen though. Just never really had a desire. It's not a practical form of transportation for me. Count me as one of the 13.

Worst accidents I fly are motorcycle accidents. Doesn't matter if you're wearing a helmet or not, you're gonna get messed up.

I don't drive one because of the things I've seen though. Just never really had a desire. It's not a practical form of transportation for me. Count me as one of the 13.
:yes:

You are very wrong if you don't think the personal protection gear works. It won't save the rider in all situations, but it does work.

When I screwed up a panic stop (thanks ***hole bicyclist), I particularly appreciated my full-face helmet saving me from a lot road rash as the side of my helmet slid along the asphalt. The highway bars saved my leg from being crushed.

You are very wrong if you don't think the personal protection gear works. It won't save the rider in all situations, but it does work.

When I screwed up a panic stop (thanks ***hole bicyclist), I particularly appreciated my full-face helmet saving me from a lot road rash as the side of my helmet slid along the asphalt. The highway bars saved my leg from being crushed.

Obviously I'm not saying PPE doesn't work. Just like seat belts and airbags they take an accident that would not have been survivable and end up being treatable injuries. But like the stats provided above, I see way worse motorcycle injuries than car injuries.

What I'm saying, is that some of the accidents I cover, the speeds they travel, unless you've got armor plating all around, you're gonna get messed up. Seen some nasty fractures that have nothing to do with PPE. Even ATV accidents. Only time I remember patients dying, wasn't even head related. They died from severe internal chest / abdominal injuries.

I'm not anti bike. I know most of you are fanatics about bikes just like we are about flying planes. You're gonna keep driving them and I'll keep picking you up along the side of the road to take you to the hospital...in a 1/3 of the time of the ambulance and far better care at that.:wink2:

Last edited:
Man, put some mufflers on that thing!

LOUD PIPES SERVE LIES!

The lies being that all motorcycles gotta be LOUD, and that all motorcyclists are sociopathic asshats.

Sounds like your last two words describe you perfectly.

I'm not the tool of a kid haulin ass from every stop light shifting at redline every time, or the dipstick blipping the throttle at the stop light.

There's always one in the group that feels the need to push their agenda on everybody else.

Add something to the forum and keep your posts pertinent to the topic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There are places in the world, that if everyone drove a car, it just uh... well it wouldn't work.

Like, Southeast Asia. 95% of the traffic are motorbikes, and the 5% of cars and trucks on the road get mired in gridlock. Seriously, a car is an impediment over there.

I'm not "fanatical" about motorcycles, but like flying vs. driving, it's just a matter of mitigating risks, and the penalties for carelessness are higher. But if you're alert and keep ahead of the game, I think riding can be as safe as driving. There are offsetting advantages. You don't have the protection but you can maneuver through things you can't in a car. In 25 years of riding, I've only had one accident (which nearly killed me, by the way) and it was completely, entirely avoidable.

I have a Honda CB1100, 2014 model. I have access to a few others, DR-650 and XT-250.

I decided to drudge up this bike thread because it's the middle of winter and if you can't ride bikes might as well post about them on the internet!

Back in college I had a professor tell a story about a KZ1000 that he "did the outside loop on" nearly prematurely ending his flying career and suggested that us knuckleheads avoid them and buy a Stearman and do aerobatics instead (the guy was a former TopGun instructor), but I didn't heed his advice and have spent more time 2 wheeling in the last 20 years than flying. Cost wise still cheaper than a Stearman but you probably rivals other lesser GA planes & flying.

Here's some shots from some of my favorite bike trips:
Oz:
44841807292_f1f83fb228_z.jpg

31039632258_55192421a4_z.jpg

Mt. Blanc:
34912810533_4abbf39ba0_z.jpg

Stelvio
34935316003_7a080638fa_z.jpg

2000 Km of 2 up in India!
35638327326_56382d5854_z.jpg

PCH:
258634_10150290667563109_467939_o.jpg

Deals Gap (done this one a few times on various bikes)
28595_427651808108_1271681_n.jpg

Moab
26949697116_4eb755b1ba_z.jpg

To me riding is about as close of a thrill to flying as it gets. Some people think you have to be partway insane to ride a motorcycle on the street but really if you take out the Drunk riders, unlicensed riders and Stunters the statistics for dying in a crash become much lower (although still significantly higher than a car). Sadly I've know more people who've died in small plane crashes than on 2 wheels.

Had many bikes, used to race motocross regularly up until 2020.
Dropped bikes so many times I cannot count that high, usually in the dirt, but once on the pavement as well, got up after sliding down the road, and did a quick self assessment. Checking on GF, she told me her arm and shoulder hurt, otherwise okay. Called an ambulance to take her for a check out. Bike now laying on the road blocking traffic, the jogger I was avoiding when i crashed, and i picked that damn heavy Yamaha fjr 1300 up, and pushed it to the side of the road. Bike was messed up, my gear no longer looked new, and I was now realizing my ankle was sore. Well long story short the woman paid for all the bike damage, and half of the new gear.
Today after having many bikes over the years, all i have left is a ktm 450sx, honda Africa twin, honda 450L, and ktm super duke 1290r. Ride the honda 450L more than the other 3 added together. Going to sell the 450sx come spring.

Had many bikes, used to race motocross regularly up until 2020.
Dropped bikes so many times I cannot count that high, usually in the dirt, but once on the pavement as well, got up after sliding down the road, and did a quick self assessment. Checking on GF, she told me her arm and shoulder hurt, otherwise okay. Called an ambulance to take her for a check out. Bike now laying on the road blocking traffic, the jogger I was avoiding when i crashed, and i picked that damn heavy Yamaha fjr 1300 up, and pushed it to the side of the road. Bike was messed up, my gear no longer looked new, and I was now realizing my ankle was sore. Well long story short the woman paid for all the bike damage, and half of the new gear.
Today after having many bikes over the years, all i have left is a ktm 450sx, honda Africa twin, honda 450L, and ktm super duke 1290r. Ride the honda 450L more than the other 3 added together. Going to sell the 450sx come spring.
You should try and attend the V-Strom East Rally in May at Robbinsville, NC. I have rented a house nearby and I am hopefully that a few other POA'ers can make it.

Reactions: YKA
The thing that killed the joy of riding for me was the Kawasaki Concours C14. I wrecked my BMW 1200RT in an accident that nearly killed me and rendered the bike into shards of metal and plastic.

I loved the RT. I've pushed sportbikes most my life, and to me, the RT was a nice compromise of sportbike handling, and touring comfort. And it was just a pleasure to ride. But the Concours? It was just heavy. Not just heavy but top heavy. Riding it was too much like work, unless you were at speed in which case it handled fairly well but still did not have good peg clearance. I ended up selling it to make room for a car in the garage.

The last motorbike (scooter) ride I took, I started out on a random cruise on the rural areas south of Saigon, Vietnam, working my way to the Mekong, and ended up stopping when a group of Vietnamese in a thatched shack invited me to join them for a bottle of Wild Turkey. The ride back didn't end up so well, and I ended up having to have my boss drive me to the French hospital for some stiches after I dumped the scooter. BTW I hate those stupid small wheels. The Honda Wave was much better. Less power, but actual real motorcycle wheels. It was a fun ride.

These days I spend too much time on a bicycle struggling to keep up with exercise, plus I'm spoiled with AC, heat, rain protection and radio, so I just don't have time to ride a motorcycle.

After several crashes I realized that two wheel motorized conveyances just aren't for me. I'll stick to safe things like experimental, ultralight, and antique airplanes.

You should try and attend the V-Strom East Rally in May at Robbinsville, NC. I have rented a house nearby and I am hopefully that a few other POA'ers can make it.

Is this an annual meet up? I could possibly do it in 2022, but this year I cannot take that amount of time off in May. It is a good long ride down there, from central BC.

Is this an annual meet up? I could possibly do it in 2022, but this year I cannot take that amount of time off in May. It is a good long ride down there, from central BC.
You should have the C-210 by then.

I got my MC endorsement in 2016. After thorough consideration of different machines and the type of riding that most appealed to me, I ended up buying a new Vespa GTV 300 scooter. And I haven't had any regrets. I mainly use it to run errands around town, but it also performs well on the highways for longer rides. Last year I gave it a boost by installing a Malossi performance upgrade kit, which has boosted WOT speed from about 73 mph to approx 85 mph. I can now cruise the highways at 75 mph without being WOT.

Robbinsville is nearby, and Karen and I would love to attend. All depends on the COVID situation in May.

I may have posted this before, but Karen can see herself on one of these:

50884618082_4eb3a52cf5.jpg

50884618092_9ec5dd6621.jpg

Can Am Ryker. We have a dealer near us in Alcoa, TN. She has a Yamaha Zuma 125 scooter, but is a bit shy on two wheels - she had a hip replacement and going down could really mess it up. We’re thinking of pulling the trigger some time this spring, if not sooner. Maybe she’ll make an appearance in Robbinsville!

As an aside, I posted these photos to a Facebook motorcycle forum a while back and while most were supportive, a few douches expressed almost a visceral hatred of anyone even thinking about a 3-wheeled vehicle. But as my generation hits their 70’s, there’s no doubt balance and coordination starts to decline, and more power to anyone who can prolong their riding career on however many wheels floats their boat.

What a difference 5 years makes! My cantankerous Goldwing is long gone, someone else can wrench on it. The CB1000r is still here, I even put a chin spoiler on it.IMG_0895.jpeg

Robbinsville is nearby, and Karen and I would love to attend. All depends on the COVID situation in May.

I may have posted this before, but Karen can see herself on one of these:

50884618082_4eb3a52cf5.jpg

50884618092_9ec5dd6621.jpg

Can Am Ryker. We have a dealer near us in Alcoa, TN. She has a Yamaha Zuma 125 scooter, but is a bit shy on two wheels - she had a hip replacement and going down could really mess it up. We’re thinking of pulling the trigger some time this spring, if not sooner. Maybe she’ll make an appearance in Robbinsville!

As an aside, I posted these photos to a Facebook motorcycle forum a while back and while most were supportive, a few douches expressed almost a visceral hatred of anyone even thinking about a 3-wheeled vehicle. But as my generation hits their 70’s, there’s no doubt balance and coordination starts to decline, and more power to anyone who can prolong their riding career on however many wheels floats their boat.

Those are nice, but you have to rewire your brain as they don't (duh) countersteer. I rode one once and was very happy to deliver it back to the owner in one piece. Push right, go left! :hairraise:

Those are nice, but you have to rewire your brain as they don't (duh) countersteer. I rode one once and was very happy to deliver it back to the owner in one piece. Push right, go left! :hairraise:

Won’t be a problem for me with the amount of time I have on three wheels, albeit with sidecar rigs. Also no different than an ATV. I think Karen will take right to it.

Won’t be a problem for me with the amount of time I have on three wheels, albeit with sidecar rigs. Also no different than an ATV. I think Karen will take right to it.

Yeah, I've just ridden expressly motos and bicycles for 37+ years. I rented a waverunner at the beach last summer and had the same problem, I was all over the place until my brain started to re-wire a little bit lol.

The thing that killed the joy of riding for me was the Kawasaki Concours C14. I wrecked my BMW 1200RT in an accident that nearly killed me and rendered the bike into shards of metal and plastic.

I loved the RT. I've pushed sportbikes most my life, and to me, the RT was a nice compromise of sportbike handling, and touring comfort. And it was just a pleasure to ride. But the Concours? It was just heavy. Not just heavy but top heavy. Riding it was too much like work, unless you were at speed in which case it handled fairly well but still did not have good peg clearance. I ended up selling it to make room for a car in the garage.

I had a few bikes that were considered more of the "sport touring" variety rather than the sport bike. I never rode a Concours (unless I've forgotten riding @jesse 's) but know the feeling of some motorcycles being like work. The one that most comes to my mind as work and unenjoyable was a Goldwing 1200 that a friend let me ride. So extremely top heavy and really just unenjoyable.

Truthfully the weight of the Harleys is somewhat annoying when on a shorterish ride, which is really what we do much of the time. Not work to ride, and not at all top heavy, but 850 lbs is a lot of weight.

Been riding since I was about 12. The first ride I remember, was sitting on the tank of my Dad's bike (Indian I think) riding around the yard. I really like riding backcountry/dirt and camping off the bikes. ADVenture riding. Current rides are an old DRZ400 I have had as my dirt bike for many years. I traded my beloved WEEstrom for an Africa Twinn a couple years ago. I usually put close between 6K and 10k miles on the bikes per year. I didn't get that many miles this year. The retirement thing is really getting in the way.

Attachments

• Picture 840.jpg
    Picture 840.jpg
    115.9 KB · Views: 11
I've been riding most of my life & have owned a ton of bikes over the years. In 2005 I bought a new FJR1300. I put 30,000 miles on the bike & loved it.

I went through a nasty divorce in 2009 & liquidated the 4 bikes I owned at the time to help with attorney bills. Since then, I went though a bunch of bikes but wasn't crazy about any of them.

Four years ago I bought another FJR1300 & was in love with riding again. I don't plan on trading bikes since the FJR seems to suits me so well & when I bought my 182 five years ago I'm not riding my motorcycle as much.

I guess I'm a big FJR fan. To each their own.

I’ve raced ridden/MX since 1991. Currently waiting to buy my next bike, which will be a KTM 350 or 450 SX-F (sold my KX450 after hurting my wrist last fall). I’ve taken a couple breaks along the way, but can never truly step away.

When the tracks closed last spring due to COVID, I needed my motorcycle fix, so I bought a bucket-list bike for me, an 06 RC51. Found a nice one with the original owner who had it as a second or third bike in his stable. Put the exhaust, a power commander, and a couple other parts on. Oh, and added two teeth to the rear sprocket to bring down the bonneville salt flat gearing, lol...

4FA67546-1330-4049-B2CA-7BE88882DD3C.jpeg

I’ve raced ridden/MX since 1991. Currently waiting to buy my next bike, which will be a KTM 350 or 450 SX-F (sold my KX450 after hurting my wrist last fall). I’ve taken a couple breaks along the way, but can never truly step away.

When the tracks closed last spring due to COVID, I needed my motorcycle fix, so I bought a bucket-list bike for me, an 06 RC51. Found a nice one with the original owner who had it as a second or third bike in his stable. Put the exhaust, a power commander, and a couple other parts on. Oh, and added two teeth to the rear sprocket to bring down the bonneville salt flat gearing, lol...

View attachment 93727

Congrats! Nice bike, but torturous riding position and comfort. I remember way back a friend bought a new RC51 for the WERA endurance series, and we went riding it on the street to do the break in miles. After about 30min, he offered to let me try the bike, so we swapped. And he took off on my 600F4, and wouldn't give it back. I chased him all over creation, putting a pile of miles on that thing. When he finally let me have the F4 back (an absolute Cadillac in comfort by comparison), he was cackling and thanked me for putting in the hard miles.

A few years later he and his endurance series partner and I all bought '99 SV650 standards and would go to Suches and Deals Gap and absolutely torture squid boys on their liter bikes. In the tight stuff those 650s rocked! Those were the days!

The older I get, the faster I was...

Last edited:

View attachment 93727
Spanky bike. Never could see why there was so much love for the RC. I owned a 954rr, a contemporary of the RC51. The 954 was quite a bit faster and lighter, it was in every way a better bike. Indeed the 954 still exists in a way, Honda still makes an in-line-4 racing bike. Honda no longer makes a sport Vtwin, the RC51 was an artifact of the rules of the day.

Still spanky though.

Spanky bike. Never could see why there was so much love for the RC. I owned a 954rr, a contemporary of the RC51. The 954 was quite a bit faster and lighter, it was in every way a better bike. Indeed the 954 still exists in a way, Honda still makes an in-line-4 racing bike. Honda no longer makes a sport Vtwin, the RC51 was an artifact of the rules of the day.

Still spanky though.

Agreed on most fronts. I owned a 954 back in 03. It’s more comfortable, faster, etc, etc. The RC is one of those bikes that makes very little practical sense, yet puts an enormous smile on your face (hmmmm...kind of like most of us with airplanes, lol). I like having something that you don’t see every day. It also sounds glorious. I like an in-line at 15k+ as much as the next guy, but with a good exhaust, the RC sounds amazing.

Bill, funny you mention the SV. I had a neighbor who had one. He put a couple mods on it (GSXR forks if I’m not mistaken) and did exactly as you described. A lot of “pull the trigger on the straights and wallow through corners” folks on much faster bikes got soundly embarrassed by him on the SV, lol.

Actually, I think my CB1000r is a bit more rare on the ground than an RC51. Don't see many. Couldn't keep up with an RC though...

View attachment 93727

I had an RC51 around 10 years ago. Unlike yours (which is pristine), mine was a real POS. That didn't change the fact that it was enormously fun to ride. As @Bill correctly pointed out, a punishing riding position, but the engine was far more enjoyable than any in-line 4 bike I ever rode. It was a fun Mad Max bike and I'm glad I owned it. But I think for another bike that's supposed to have the traits of a Ducati, I'll buy... a Ducati.

I had an RC51 around 10 years ago. Unlike yours (which is pristine), mine was a real POS. That didn't change the fact that it was enormously fun to ride. As @Bill correctly pointed out, a punishing riding position, but the engine was far more enjoyable than any in-line 4 bike I ever rode. It was a fun Mad Max bike and I'm glad I owned it. But I think for another bike that's supposed to have the traits of a Ducati, I'll buy... a Ducati.

Definitely not a touring bike...I equate it to the 69 Camaro I used to have. Great fun for an hour or two, then it’s time to put it away.

I actually started with looking for a Ducati. Unfortunately I missed the time period where the original owners were selling their 1098’s, and most of what I saw was either poorly maintained or sky-high on price. I almost bought a 999S but couldn’t get over the styling and this particular example just gave me a gut feeling like I was having the wool pulled over my eyes on something, so I passed.

I had always wanted an RC51, so I decided to try it. I still really want a Ducati 1098 (S or R), and will continue to look. Not a fan of the styling on anything beyond the 1098 and it’s variants.

Reactions: Ted
Definitely not a touring bike...I equate it to the 69 Camaro I used to have. Great fun for an hour or two, then it’s time to put it away.

I actually started with looking for a Ducati. Unfortunately I missed the time period where the original owners were selling their 1098’s, and most of what I saw was either poorly maintained or sky-high on price. I almost bought a 999S but couldn’t get over the styling and this particular example just gave me a gut feeling like I was having the wool pulled over my eyes on something, so I passed.

I had always wanted an RC51, so I decided to try it. I still really want a Ducati 1098 (S or R), and will continue to look. Not a fan of the styling on anything beyond the 1098 and it’s variants.

I agree the newer Ducatis don't do much for me. For me, the 996/998 like they used in The Matrix have been what I've always loved. There aren't many of them out there and whenever I do get one, I want it to be a good one.

Anything 916 thru 1098 looks great in my opinion, although the 916 has achieved cult collector status and good ones cost a penny or two.

Actually, I think my CB1000r is a bit more rare on the ground than an RC51. Don't see many. Couldn't keep up with an RC though...

True, I had never seen the CB until you showed yours. Is it based loosely on the CBR engine?

Back