Unique places that you have flown.

geezer

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
Kruse'n
A unique place that I have landed.

November 16, 1969, I took off from College Park, MD CGS, in a 1959 Cessna 150, and flew to Monticello, UVA. There I landed on the terrace below the right side of the mansion. I walked up to the building, and had an employee document that I had landed there.

He made a short entry in my log book.

“Landed OK, 11/16/69 UVA Apt. Monticello”, followed by scribbled initials.

The flight time was 1:40 going and 1:30 returning. 10 flying hours later, I passed my check ride.

That grassy expanse is now a garden, and impossible to land on. Back then, it was well trimmed grass, 1,000 feet long and 50 feet wide. The University of Virginia Flying Club used it, which explains the UVA name, but at that time, there were no airplanes present. The official who initialed my log was completely casual, as if that was a normal part of a day, but mentioned that he had not signed a log for years. There was no wear on the grass from aircraft use; there was no indication that the UVA club was then active.

Sometime later, it disappeared from the air charts. I did not think of going again, so did not notice.

The use of UVA for Monticello must have ceased soon after I landed there. It is possible that X markings came soon, and on 11/16/1969 I was the last legal landing there.

I have flown into a number of airports that no longer exist, but that one stands out as special.

Have any other members of POA landed a fixed wing plane there?

The more conventional 4 letter version exists, KUVA, Garner Field Airport, in Uvalde, Texas, if you search for UVA these days. That gives an idea how long the original has been gone from the air charts. I often wished that I kept the original sectional I used for my training and cross countries before achieving my certificate. There were a surprising number of airfields that no longer exist.

The Uvalde airport had converted to civilian from a military training field. V.P. Garner died in 1969. The name change to Garner Field may have come soon after that, but when the UVA designation occurred is not easily found.

I've landed off airport a bunch of times.

0 0.00 n, 180 0.00 w. Not much to see.

The next day I rode a ship there. Got a cool diploma like thing to hang on my wall, and get to call myself a Golden Shellback, but had to eat a maraschino cherry out of the belly button of a very fat man...

Let’s just keep this between us.

Rainelle, WV. Grass strip on top of a mountain...nice local cafe on the field...not sure it is still there...this was about 20 years ago.

ISZ was an airport in Cincinnati, I used to go there all the time because there was a really good bagel place nearby. Gone now. I think the most unique thing I've seen was at 12K feet over Lake Michigan. A storm has cleared out all the mist and whatnot and I had unlimited visibility. I could see the whole lake spread out below me like a giant pond, I could block Chicago with my thumb. I doubt I'll ever witness that again.

November 16, 1969, I took off from College Park, MD CGS, in a 1959 Cessna 150, and flew to Monticello, UVA. There I landed on the terrace below the right side of the mansion. I walked up to the building, and had an employee document that I had landed there.

That grassy expanse is now a garden, and impossible to land on. Back then, it was well trimmed grass, 1,000 feet long and 50 feet wide. The University of Virginia Flying Club used it, which explains the UVA name, but at that time, there were no airplanes present. The official who initialed my log was completely casual, as if that was a normal part of a day, but mentioned that he had not signed a log for years. There was no wear on the grass from aircraft use; there was no indication that the UVA club was then active.

Funny. Another club member and flew over Monticello just last weekend from KFDK. I got a GPS approach in to Charlottesville then we went and did a couple orbits over the mansion. You can see where the strip was and where the gardens are now.

ET6W30b.jpg

O22, Columbia, CA. In the California foothills near an old mining area. When I was stationed at Travis AFB, where I got my license back in the ‘80’s, the 45 min flight beat the 2 hr drive. Went back there two years ago and it’s still a great place to visit. Beautiful area to fly around, camping on the field (intended only/mainly for fly-in campers), and easy walk to the historic Gold Town area, which is a State Park. Good places to eat. Great day trip.

Pugs post of a picture of Monticello shows the runway site clearly. The entire area of brown garden was a beautifully smooth grass expanse, with no obstructions. The evergreen trees at the upper end of the runway did not exist then.

Walking up to the mansion was a strange thing, I felt out of place, and in reality, I was, Everything was historic except my plane. Nearly the same as if I was on the lawn of Mount Vernon. Few of the tourists at Monticello noticed my arrival, and none came to the edge of the main lawn to see where I landed. A Cessna 150 is not a noisy plane, especially when landing.

Thanks, Pugs, this is the first time I have seen it from the air since visiting way back in another century. We visited in the last decade, on the ground.

Wideawake Airfield, Royal Air Force Station Ascension, Ascension Island (FHAW).

I went there a handful of times in the 2010-2012 timeframe flying the DC8 Combi on the once-per-week connection from Patrick AFB, FL (COF), with a stop at V.C. Bird International Airport (TAPA/ANU) Antigua Island, Antigua and Barbuda.

Ascension did not have an ILS, I think the precision approach markings are due to it have had an MLS due to it's status as a shuttle abort facility. We flew the VOR approach which, in the DC8 without VNAV, was a dive-and-drive type approach. Nearest alternate airport was 800nm away so we carried "island reserve" fuel which is two hours of fuel on arrival to be used to keep shooting the approach over and over again until you got in.

We always landed shortly before sunrise so I had to find this picture via a web search.

FHAW runway 2.jpg

My first time to Acension it was my leg for the landing. Skies were overcast at around 1000' so the VOR approach was needed. The Captain had warned me about the hump about 3000' down the runway and to make sure I had touchdown before the hump (or you'd float forever over the downslope). I broke out from the overcast and there was just enough light for me to see that somebody had put a mountain right next to the runway! You'd think he would have mentioned that!

COF-TAPA-FHAW.gif

Last edited:
ME08, Gadabout Gaddis, in Bingham ME. Grass strip that ends in the river. You drag it it over the water, slight left turn, let it touch. If you dropped a Half brick prior, to see if if splashes, be a good guy and go pick it up. 2000 ft, Kennebeck river at one end, trees at the other.

Flew into my friends private strip in the foothills and enjoyed a wonderful two days there:

upload_2021-1-30_23-20-35.png

1 mile from San Antonio is Twin Oaks airport (T94). I delivered an airplane there last year and thought it was the most unusual airpark I’d ever seen. It was like landing in a tight neighborhood. Look it up on Google Maps. Absolute blast going there.

Dropped pin
Near Uptown, San Antonio, TX 78232
https://goo.gl/maps/2QzbUQFoupPJPgch9

30 years ago I landed with a guy in his Starduster on Pendine Sands beach which was a Royal Navy site. They had a railroad track where they would launch middles at old airplanes to see how they held up. They gave us a tour of all the airplanes they were ready to destroy. One was a TSR2 which was a huge British F111 type bomber.

Pendine Sands
United Kingdom
https://goo.gl/maps/zTNwZRMer7nBruQq7

Finally, I feel lucky to have operated a Twin Otter 200 miles north of Alaska from the Ice for a US Navy contract and on the same day fly to a Soviet Ice camp and land there 60 miles away. I still have some Soviet flags as a souvenir.

I've flown from Texas to Alaska three times and landed at some off-the-beaten-path places there : Bettles, Kotzebue, Nome, McCarthy. Also the dirt strip next to the seaplane base in Cordova.

1 mile from San Antonio is Twin Oaks airport (T94). I delivered an airplane there last year and thought it was the most unusual airpark I’d ever seen. It was like landing in a tight neighborhood. Look it up on Google Maps. Absolute blast going there.
No kidding! I've been there once, was like landing on a subdivision street.

Out in the Colorado plains is a tiny town called Joe's. There used to be a B&B there called the Runaway Inn with a part paved, part dirt runway. The Colorado Pilots Association did a breakfast fly-in back in 2006. I heard they closed some years ago.

upload_2021-2-1_7-38-8.png

I never got there. Used to take my students to Flagler. Grass and a short,narrow paved etc. but great breakfast. There was a bad airshow crash there in the 30's. Plane crashed into the bleachers. then to Calhan (Gravel) and Back to APA .

Back