Is the general public actually going to fly in an EVtol aircraft?

Lndwarrior

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
Gary
https://www.avweb.com/recent-updates/evtols-urban-mobility/lilium-to-build-air-taxi-network/

It seems there are a multitude of air EVtol (and similar) air taxi companies spending vast sums of money to be first to market.

But will the general public actually fly in them?

My experience is that the vast majority of people are afraid, and won't fly, in small planes. And this is with manual controls.

Will people actually choose to do this in what is essentially a computer controlled aircraft on a daily/frequent basis? Even if there is a pilot flying, power management and other functions will be computer controlled.

I wouldn't fly in one, but I'm a big chicken so, not a good example...

Will people actually choose to do this in what is essentially a computer controlled aircraft on a daily/frequent basis? Even if there is a pilot flying, power management and other functions will be computer controlled.
Not specific to eVTOL, but at various times in my career I have flown or flown in computer controlled aircraft on a daily basis where power management and other functions were computer controlled, and will do so again when the opportunity presents itself.

Nauga,
wired

I think it'll take another generation before people will feel comfortable. Kids don't seem to be afraid of much; give them a evtol that looks like something out of Fortnite and they'll be all over it.

Honestly, it all depends on how the media chooses to cover it. If they ignore the problems, people will do it. If they magnify every problem and tell you 20 times an hour that they are death machines, then people won’t do it.

Yeah, I don't think it'll happen tomorrow, or even the next day. But, sooner or later...

Eventually. But there will be setbacks, like when the first one crashes and kills a couple people in downtown NY/SF/London, the media is going to be all over it, which will put people off for a while.

Depends on how much risk the company takes. If they are conservative and avoid weather issues and proactive with customers about such items, then adoption will go well. Recall they are talking about ten locations where you will have just a couple taxis per location to start. This does not take many people...

Tim

Sent from my HD1907 using Tapatalk

Back