A parting gift for the contestant....

My official last day with Lockheed before retirement will be next Thursday. Today my company farewell gift arrived. Once upon a time we presented these things at a party, but of course thanks to COVID they now just arrive in the mail. C'est la guerre.

Not practical for flying, of course, but a nice piece of jewelry and I think I'm going to enjoy it.

View attachment 93382

I have one of those watches, I love it... and I had to buy mine. Congrats.

Spoken like a true Floridian! I did a 150mi ride last Saturday morning, temps in the mid-30's the entire time. Although I did have a little help from Mr Gerbings...

Laurie has looked at me like I have 3 heads when I've hopped on my Harley on a chilly day and gone to town with it. Of course, she also knows who she's talking to so... it surprises nobody.

The pension cap and the stock market performance over the last several years have prompted a lot of us to make the leap. The comparison between salary and predicted retirement income showed I was working for free, or maybe even paying a bit for the privilege.

We'll see how things go. Our contract is up next year I think. They've been whittling away at our benefit stuff over the last few contracts and the new kids have finally woken up to the fact that they got themselves screwed pretty hard a couple of contracts back. I'm expecting them to limit our years of service on our defined pension plan. I'm betting it gets capped somewhere between 30 and 40 years. I've got enough seniority to not worry about getting laid off prior to retirement, unless the facility gets shut down...at that point about 16,000 people need to worry.

Congrats on making it out of here. I’ll have to pull up the company wide retirement list tonight. Started with GD in ‘86 and will bail out in ‘25 or ‘28, depending on circumstances.

Ha. Had a job offer in '88 (?) from GD to help with the Dorito. I read the tea leaves and noped that one. The plant tour was interesting though. The tour guide just about swallowed his microphone when I asked about the 2 seat F-16's with the 6 pointed stars and the "special delivery" hardware.

Ha. Had a job offer in '88 (?) from GD to help with the Dorito. I read the tea leaves and noped that one. The plant tour was interesting though. The tour guide just about swallowed his microphone when I asked about the 2 seat F-16's with the 6 pointed stars and the "special delivery" hardware.

Had to laugh about that one. I think the Dorito program was actually used to hide a very deep black program due to things I saw over the years. Interesting thing....the X-47 has lots of Dorito in it...

I got a little silver pin for my company ID. Lol.

The pension cap and the stock market performance over the last several years have prompted a lot of us to make the leap. The comparison between salary and predicted retirement income showed I was working for free, or maybe even paying a bit for the privilege.
That's what happened to my dad. One day he calculated some numbers and realized he was working for free. He put in for retirement the very next day. He wishes he would've retired about 3 years earlier.

We'll see how things go. Our contract is up next year I think. They've been whittling away at our benefit stuff over the last few contracts and the new kids have finally woken up to the fact that they got themselves screwed pretty hard a couple of contracts back. I'm expecting them to limit our years of service on our defined pension plan. I'm betting it gets capped somewhere between 30 and 40 years. I've got enough seniority to not worry about getting laid off prior to retirement, unless the facility gets shut down...at that point about 16,000 people need to worry.

Contract? You guys have contracts? I assume you're at the Ft Worth LM plant?

Congratulations on retirement .
Had I known how much fun it was I would have retired much sooner.
I had a choice of a watch or a Red Miata , I took the Miata . :)

Contract? You guys have contracts? I assume you're at the Ft Worth LM plant?

Yep, been on salary side and union side, both, when we were GD and after the sale to Lockheed. Salary side at GD was much better to me, from what I saw and experienced than when we became Lockheed. Big reason why I went back and stayed union when my salary job got eliminated.

Yep, been on salary side and union side, both, when we were GD and after the sale to Lockheed. Salary side at GD was much better to me, from what I saw and experienced than when we became Lockheed. Big reason why I went back and stayed union when my salary job got eliminated.

I am (was) with Missiles & Fire Control and had to visit the Grand Prairie facility a couple of times a month as half my department was there. I was able to visit Ft Worth a time or two, though. The F-35 line is amazing.

Enjoy retirement. I do (and have been retired for 5 1/2 years). Best job I've ever had.

Enjoy that watch. I've got a Blue Angel version of the Skyhawk that my wife got for me for Christmas in 2008. It does need to go back to Citizen (again) to have the lower right button fixed as it is locked up (again) so you can't select any functions with it. Makes it a challenge to change time zones, as well. Oh well, my other Citizen that I bought on a cruise in the Med in 2019 will keep me going while this one is off at Citizen (again). It certainly is convenient not having to worry about batteries or setting the time. Oh, and that E-6B? I've used mine in flight ONCE, and that was just to say that I have used it. Given that the plane has a Garmin 430W in the panel it really wasn't necessary. :D

Enjoy retirement. I do (and have been retired for 5 1/2 years). Best job I've ever had.

Enjoy that watch. I've got a Blue Angel version of the Skyhawk that my wife got for me for Christmas in 2008. It does need to go back to Citizen (again) to have the lower right button fixed as it is locked up (again) so you can't select any functions with it. Makes it a challenge to change time zones, as well. Oh well, my other Citizen that I bought on a cruise in the Med in 2019 will keep me going while this one is off at Citizen (again). It certainly is convenient not having to worry about batteries or setting the time. Oh, and that E-6B? I've used mine in flight ONCE, and that was just to say that I have used it. Given that the plane has a Garmin 430W in the panel it really wasn't necessary. :D

Apart from struggling to read the small numbers, I think there’s a fundamental design problem with wristwatch E6Bs anyway. Unless the values you need are in the top semicircle, you either have to remove the watch or dislocate your wrist to use it. At least I can read the Citizen E6B more easily than the one on my Seiko.

Apart from struggling to read the small numbers, I think there’s a fundamental design problem with wristwatch E6Bs anyway. Unless the values you need are in the top semicircle, you either have to remove the watch or dislocate your wrist to use it. At least I can read the Citizen E6B more easily than the one on my Seiko.
I never thought about how rude it is to give a retiree a tiny watch until just now. Lol.

Enjoy your gift, if you can read it! Where did you leave your bifocals again??

Sent from my LM-G850 using Tapatalk

I never thought about how rude it is to give a retiree a tiny watch until just now. Lol.

Enjoy your gift, if you can read it! Where did you leave your bifocals again??

Sent from my LM-G850 using Tapatalk

LOL! They’re almost always in my pocket, and my flying RayBans have stick-on readers at the bottom of the lenses. :)

Back