Talk Me Out of Buying

Weren't you just posting about being tempted to buy a turbine'd 185? If so and if that's a realistic purchase, pretty sure you have what it takes to own a P210.

I'm pretty interested in this conversation as I've decided that my long term goal in aviation is to own a P210 or a Malibu before I die, but I have literally no good reason to own one now - no good excuse or reason to fly, say, 500+ nm legs in all/most weather, and it ain't going camping.

FIKI pressurized piston speed in the flight levels oddly interests me more than turbines. Seems so cool. Love the Malibu Flyer Youtube channel, worth checking out. Speaking of which, if you're seriously considering a P210, go Vitatoe and/or look at Malibus. There was a great article recently in Aviation Consumer (I think) about owning P210s. And a scary one charting Richard Collins's ownership of one of (if not the) first P210 that came off the line. That one literally gave me an airplane-maintenance nightmare nightmare. Not even kidding. That one was a disaster, but the Vitatoe ones sound amazing.

I saw a turbine 185 for sale, posted in a thread for another guy looking at planes, he should check it out. I was so tempted to call, but put the phone down, because I know myself well, and might end up buying it, and i don't need it lol

If you don't know much about it, then chances are you don't have much if any hours in one. Getting reasonable insurance may be a cause for not going for it. But honestly. If you have the money and the desire to learn what you need to learn then hell yes go do it! Life isn't a dress rehearsal. Live that dream as long as your checkbook doesn't make you hate it after you buy it.

No. There are two for sale near me, and I loved the old 210 I had.

LOL. A little while back the shop that maintains my Piper had two pressurized 210s in side-by-side for annuals and repairs for several weeks. They make my Aztec look like a cheap ride in comparison.

Reactions: YKA
LOL. A little while back the shop that maintains my Piper had two pressurized 210s in side-by-side for annuals and repairs for several weeks. They make my Aztec look like a cheap ride in comparison.

And that is what makes me nervous.

In case you hadn't already found it: https://www.pilotsofamerica.com/community/threads/dick-collins-reminisces-about-n40rc.75097/

Probably the most on-point quote from Dick Collins' article: "Despite all that initial trouble, there was a lot more good than bad about the airplane. I still think it is a viable concept but for it to really work well it needed an on-purpose from-scratch airframe and a turbine engine. That is called a TBM 900, is available today, and costs a bunch of money."

Had a chat with two AMEs (what we Canadians call an aircraft mechanic) and decided against a P210, will probably search instead for a non pressurize 210. Want a 1980 or newer model. Can nicely upgrade the panel from the sounds of it for around $60k. When the engine times out, upgrade to a 550 and new prop for $155k. I am talking about Canadian dollars, before someone tells me I over estimated. So for around $400k can end up with a sweet ride. If someone is curious why I want a newer 210 over the older models, they got ride of the gear doors, 2 kts slower, a lot less BS. If i was rich I would buy a TBM, or M600, maybe even a new DA62. This is more in line with my budget, and will allow me to buy a 2nd plane. If I go with gen 5 or 6 cirrus, its one and done, no way to afford two. When i reach retirement, likely be selling whatever I own then, and buying something amphibious, possibly a 206...and before anyone suggests a Caravan EX instead of 206, again that is a cost issue, like the TBM.

I still think it is a viable concept but for it to really work well it needed an on-purpose from-scratch airframe and a turbine engine. That is called a TBM 900, is available today, and costs a bunch of money."

You do realize, did the TBM started life as a piston airframe. That was the Mooney 301. Mooney had a joint venture with Socata, and designed the TBM700. TB is for Tarbes France. M is for Mooney. So it has a piston heritage as well.

1.jpg

I see you have already decided against the P210. My only experience is from one that was based at our field years ago. Never flew, always in maintenance, never performed to expectations, got sold. I'm not saying all P210s fall into that category, but this particular one did.

I see you have already decided against the P210. My only experience is from one that was based at our field years ago. Never flew, always in maintenance, never performed to expectations, got sold. I'm not saying all P210s fall into that category, but this particular one did.

Correct. Took a P210 completely off my airplane shopping list. If I get a 210 at all, it would be a 1980 to 1986 without all the gear doors that eventually fail causing problems. Have to say while a totally different animal than a 210, the Mako intrigues me. Or do i resign myself to going slower and just get an182, and use plane number two that I would fly alone in often, for making good time on trips. Honestly, not sure what to do. I need something, and if I go cheaper can afford two which is what I really want. Got my eye on a Game bird, or Extra 330LT. On trips alone, or just 1 passenger they cruise around 190 knots, and allow me to play when I want to. When I am going to take more people and/or stuff, take the other plane. Also during maintenance, break downs, annuals, I can still fly the other, instead of renting a 172. Or do I just buy an acro tourer for now, and save up for another few years, then buy a brand new 206 on aerocet amphibs. And just not take others along for a few years. So as you can tell, my clarity on what to do is as clear as heavy fog. Probably not a good plan to rush into anything. Maybe get a Gamebird, enjoy it, and when the airplane bank account is full enough, order a brand new 206 on aerocets. Wish I had never sold my old 210, I loved it. Should have painted it, new leather interior, and tossed a stack of cash at the panel, and lived happily ever after. Hind sight is 20 20.

Back