[NA]Advice for newbie; off-road event[NA]

Let'sgoflying!

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Dave Taylor
I have the opportunity to take a one-day trip on an unimproved dirt road (maybe not fitting of the term "off-roading"?) which has some deep washes, soft sandy areas, and plenty of locals' cautions about it.

(I won't go if there is any rain in the week before or in the forecast -- and none of the creeks are running right now, so water is not a concern -it's desert during dry season.)
I will be taking my "high clearance" (according to the NPS) 4WD Tundra about 40 miles and back.
It will be lightly loaded. I will be solo.

I am writing about the vehicle, not about personal safety or rescue concerns.

If there is a place to read about driving skills - for off-highway, I would love to go there and read about it. I have a few years of harsh winter driving under my belt but this is new.

I am also pondering a list of rescue equipment to have in the truck. I don't mean personal supplies like water and blankets; but things to get going again if I have a flat or get stuck etc. I will have a full tank of gas. I have a real spare and it's checked for 40psi. (My tires are excellent and have an aggressive tread)
Shovel, pick, long rope, chain, winch, fixaflat & 12v airpump, hydraulic floor jack, metal plate to put under a buried wheel come to mind. I'll check that all wheel nuts are removable. There are no trees to tie off to so I was thinking multiple Tposts, pounded deep might be a winch anchor point.

Any other ideas or 'internet-direction' is greatly appreciated!

I would search out some overlanding forums. That's exactly the kind of stuff they do. I'd definitely find a 12V air compressor both for flat repair and to give you flexibility with tire pressures. Airing down your tires for better traction is common, but then you'll need a way to pump them back up.

I don't know what is serviceable on your Tundra, but I'd definitely grease everything than can be greased. ABS is sometimes a PITA when off-road, so you might want to find that fuse in advance if it starts becoming a nuisance. Check your ability to get into 4WD low if you have it available as a transfer case option.

Sent from my SM-N976U using Tapatalk

Be ready to accept new pinstripes from any branches you may scrape against.

Sounds fun!

Bring an air compressor. If to get stuck in soft sand, drop your tires down to 12 to 15 psi and drive out. Then refill your tires. Dropping your tire pressure down to 20 psi or a little lower will smooth out the ride.

Take a tow strap and know where you're attachment points are.

Crawl under your vehicle and know where your pumpkins are so you can avoid hitting them.

When driving over rocks, put a tire on the biggest rock.

When on doubt, get out of the vehicle and walk the next section. Have a plan for where each tire is going to go.

The rear tires do NOT follow the same tracks as the front tires. Be aware of where all four tires are.

Relax and have fun. No matter what, you will get out if you get stuck.

I'm no overlander by any stretch, but I have ridden my motorcycle on some pretty desolate dirt and two track roads. Bring a friend in another vehicle. I never venture too far out without another friend riding with me. Two vehicles gives redundancy against breakdown or damage, and if you slide down a hill and are hurt, the knows where you are and can friend can get help. My biggest fear when riding is if I go off into the woods, nobody would know, and I'll become racoon and bear food.

The best rescue equipment you can get is winch (generalizing, requires winch point and a suitable tree or anchor or another vehicle), traction boards helps a lot of you get stuck. Airing down as suggested above works wonders too. If you carry a recovery rope, someone else can pull you out.

I've done a lot of back country Jeeping and biking, and camping. It's great fun and rewarding etc. It now is becoming "overlanding". The best thing you can have is knowledge. Know how to fix things like tires and your vehicle out in the boonies. And this can't be stressed enough, take another rig with you. Extraction gear is a must. secondly, things like SAT phones or the other emergency locators are worth taking. the ones you can text,(I think ) are best, like for example In-reach. So plan for the unexpected, and have a great time. Dealing with the unexpected is part of the challenge and fun.

I think much is by experience/ trial & error. Try to keep the frame off high spots, pick your way through rough areas. If out in the bush, let someone know where. If you have one, take one of those rescue beacons along.

We are new to off-roading as well, in the Land Rover. I will say we really enjoy off-roading and have never had so much fun going slow. It's really just fun to 1) see the things you see off the beaten path 2) be pushing a vehicle in a different manner than what we're used to. We're not experts by any means, but some thoughts.

1) Definitely have some sort of PLB or other way of getting ahold of people, sat phone, something like that. We have PLBs that we used to keep in the planes and so we now keep one in the RV and one in the Land Rover. When those finally die we'll likely get some kind of sat phone or the like.

2) Going with someone else really is a good idea. We did some off-roading that took is fairly far back (not 40 miles, but further than we could walk) with the kids, and it was uncomfortable when the oil light flickered (thanks, British car).

3) To the point above, keep extra fluids (I do) even though your Toyota doesn't leak because it's a Toyota, and not British

4) For sure a tow strap, spare tire (inflated), fix-a-flat, and a compressor are all good ideas. The winch is also a good idea but you do need to have a useful way to mount it. I have a winch that mounts to a 2" receiver. Benefit of that is I can attach it to any vehicle, any side, with a 2" receiver and it does fine.

5) Driving wise, what was mentioned above. Try to not get the sidewalls of the tires if you have to get something that's going to be hard on them. Also make sure not to drive over anything that could poke a hole in your oil or transmission pan.

We have no idea what we're really talking about, but this is just what we've learned so far.

Have fun!

We are new to off-roading as well, in the Land Rover. ...

As someone who has owned and loved a Land Rover ('93 Range Rover County LWB) and now owns an '05 Toyota Land Cruiser.... well.... I loved the Land Rover. Would buy another one. Would NOT take it out in the boonies unless there was a Toyota cruising with me.

As someone who has owned and loved a Land Rover ('93 Range Rover County LWB) and now owns an '05 Toyota Land Cruiser.... well.... I loved the Land Rover. Would buy another one. Would NOT take it out in the boonies unless there was a Toyota cruising with me.

XPjzTnP.png

I asked a family cousin about a winch/towstrap. Looks like I'd be getting into some coin to make that happen. He said a handwinch ie a boat winch or a come-along is a great way to get seriously hurt (something about the pulling force could be in the 6000-10000lbs range so a limb-threatening flailing is possible) so I am dropping that idea. It's this weekend so not enough time anyway. I will just plan to avoid such terrain, even 180-ing if necessary. I will carry my towchain.
I thought about fluids (oil, coolant, tranny, water, gas) but if I hole any of those compartments, will extra fluid actually help me?
I do have a PLB and will leave behind a detailed map/plan with a "go looking for him by" time.
I'll carry several days provisions. It's likely I'll see someone out there within 48 hours anyway.
I have a hydraulic shop jack and board to go under it.
(trying to comment on all your suggestions here)
Thanks for the forum suggestion, WannFly

All really helpful, thanks. Expect photos (either of a disaster and hopefully, rescue) or of landscape lol

It seems you are solo on this venture? Use common sense, and be a fast learner. Stay in cell coverage or go the PLB route. Watch some videos (seriously).

I had an F250 years ago that did great as a kid hauler and boat ramp monster in the greater DFW Jethroplex. I finally got it out here to the Sierra and said "Time to use the 4wd for something other than snow!" and hit a fire trail one summer to a summit we affectionately call "The Bumpy Trail." I was cautious on the first trip, used my aviator spatial-orientation jedi skills to figure out how to negotiate boulders, etc. Low gear transfer box is your friend over granite boulders. Low tire pressure also friendly on gravel inclines. No fluids spilled, and a successful PB&J for the kids at the summit. We later did the same trip with my 102 year-old grandfather-in-law, he said it was very much worth the effort.

The path has since been greatly improved by the US Forest Service to accommodate snowmobiles, etc. But it is still a fun trip every year, now done with a Ford Explorer. Memories of the effort on those early trips have convinced me I want my ashes to be spread at that very summit, a better vista than a stone monument in a cemetery plot should my heirs care to come and reflect (after some effort).

Pictures of scenery:

121674850_10100126180789773_636306126508214696_n.jpg

121965329_10100126181503343_424574413683492309_n.jpg

121657360_10100126182461423_4602828706622056470_n.jpg

There's way too much to learn and describe from our off-roading days in the Jeep but, I'll toss a fun little tidbit many don't think about..

Do you drive something that has no full sized spare? That donut ain't going rock crawling or thru deep mud. Lol.

Sent from my LM-G850 using Tapatalk

Overprepared ftw, yay.
The road was largely much like a northern Ontario gravel road with some steep sections, some deep sand, deep gravel, lots of 'quick hit the brakes before you cross that hidden wash!', really rough places.
I used 4Hi a lot, and twice used 4Lo including for what looked like a 6' wall (but obviously was not), my 03' Tundra climbed it like it was built for such obstacles.
I really should have depressurized the tires mainly for a smoother ride, apparently I'm not on speaking terms with rear shocks for the near future.

The hike was incredibly alone and quiet (which I love) - we might have been 20 miles from another human at some points. The scenery and desert beauty made me hear angels, I swear.
Didn't need all that water, survival gear, the tire equipment, but glad I took it. It would have been a long wait for help! Ended up doing 60miles on dirt.

Photos:

Attachments

• 1AB380EC-08CC-4935-B21C-5AF300E18D5B.jpeg
    1AB380EC-08CC-4935-B21C-5AF300E18D5B.jpeg
    94 KB · Views: 19
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 18
  • 2.jpeg
    2.jpeg
    129 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:
A high lift jack is an off-roaders best friend.

In 8 years of off-roading, I have never seen anyone use a high lift jack, or met anyone who says they have. Seen plenty of never-used ones mounted on hoods though.

Did the same road today; let the air out to 25psi - seemed less jarring a ride.
(when refilling tires using the truck battery, hood up, everyone wanted to stop to “help the person stranded in the desert “, which is great to know)

video/photo of the hiking sites, for the POA tax:

FFEFD38A-0EA1-4494-8BBA-88486072C502.jpeg

Attachments

• D8A9BE4F-6661-4DBE-B645-B27AD41DECF7.jpeg
    D8A9BE4F-6661-4DBE-B645-B27AD41DECF7.jpeg
    299.1 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
Too close to that edge, Dave!

In 8 years of off-roading, I have never seen anyone use a high lift jack, or met anyone who says they have. Seen plenty of never-used ones mounted on hoods though.
Great for changing trailer tires and trailer hookups and tongues that fell off the block.

A spotter is a wonderful asset. Stay on the trail!!!!!!!!! cutting new trails, gets trails closed! I took a stock VW through Kane Creek in the 70's. It has had so much traffic on it over the years, you need a well set up Jeep to do it now. So please Tread lightly, don't tear up the trails. Learn how to use both those pedals on the floor, often at the same time. I put Vernier hand throttles on my off road cars. You can keep constant power applied and modulate the progress with the brake. You can't modulate the power smoothly and effectively with the throttle.
Take a second rig with you. The best tool box you can ever have is a another vehicle.

Back