Do You Have Fun At Your Lessons?

AMFlying

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
AMFlying
I'm on the final stretch of my PPL training and I'm starting to shop for my own plane to either finish my training in or fly after I get finished.

The other night I was getting ready for a night XC and the wife said something about having fun and I indicated that this was really not that fun at all. She started questioning why, if flying was not fun, was I shopping for my own plane?

My reasoning was- the flying part is absolutely fun but, once I have my own plane:

1)- My flights would, hopefully, not be 2 hours of non stop stalls, engine failures, diversions, engine fires, instructor induced complications, and foggles.

2)- I would not be in a plane where I'm half afraid might actually end in a REAL engine failure, fire, or similar problem (I'm sure the plane is completely safe but it is old, beat, and always has something wrong with it every time we get in- I just never feel 100% confident in it).

3)- I'm not being told where to go and what to do every minute of the flight. I can go/see/do what I want.

I think my reasoning makes sense but I'm wondering if most people have fun in their training or, like me, was it more of more a means to an end? I mean its not like I HATE every lesson and there are certainly days where some of the stuff is much more fun than others. Landing with simulated engine failures I kind of actually like for some reason and the daytime XC stuff was fun but I would consider the majority of the rest of the process mostly just stressful and not all that much 'fun'.

So... did you or do you have fun at your PPL lessons?

Enjoyed the hell out of all of it.

Not really. Sometimes I would gain a lot of satisfaction after say 3 pretty good landings in a row. Unfortunately sometimes those were followed by 3 that weren’t so good. I liked my solo cross-country flights because you could begin to see the possible. Sometimes it was interesting like when I was able to finish the instrument portion with a real instrument approach in IMC. But none of it would I consider “fun”.

1)- My flights would, hopefully, not be 2 hours of non stop stalls, engine failures, diversions, engine fires, instructor induced complications, and foggles.

?[/QUOTE]
This is how flying with me is normally. Lol

seriously though in the beginning my ppl was stressful. Part 141 school. Cfi hated Americans and made it well Known. Was at KDAB in the summer . Hot as hell bumpy as hell. I didn’t know a thing. Eating with a shovel as it seemed. But as I got closer to the end. More confident I enjoyed more.
Then fast forward starting my IR a few years ago. Instructor loved to watch you fail. Eating with a shovel again. But didn’t have distaste for Americans. Was a nice guy Career big iron mover that loves aviation and teaching. I didn’t like it in the beginning-was tough but got to enjoy it better as I gained confidence.
it gets easier as you learn more and gain confidence.
But that dread feeling will come back after you get your ppl and start flying people important to you, after you get a new plane, when its time for a tough decision... don’t expect that to go away. At least for me.

There were some days it felt like work. Especially banging (literally) out landings in July heat, shirt soaked through. For the most part I enjoyed it, especially once I got signed off to solo, although it wasn't long before I intimately knew everything within 25 miles of my home base and that got boring too. The solo xc's were the highlight though.

Instrument training was definitely not fun. That felt like going back to school after summer break. Seems odd looking back, as I really enjoy instrument flying now. I think we might share that same desire to be "off the leash".

PPL was fun, the IR became a bit of a slog towards the end, but it all was good.

I enjoyed it, and looked forward to every lesson or solo flight. Probably because I was (and still am) interested in flying purely for flying's sake, not as a means to an end like going places or a career.

I have to say I enjoyed most of it there were a few times I felt a little pressure but honestly I just love to fly! For any reason! I admit I was pretty eager to get the training part over with so I could just go on my own and do what I wanted to do.

Reactions: YKA
I had an absolute blast as I was doing something I had wanted to do since I was old enough to look up and see the sky!

Did I have a few tough days ... oh yeah! Was I a nervous wreck on my check ride? No doubt about it but the nerves soon gave way to the confidence that I got when I realized I could fly this thing well enough to pass the test and did so.

I've settled down a bit in my later years but folks used to say I was possessed with flying ... :cool:

I'm knee deep in it, actually closer to the tail end of it. It has stretched out in duration in large part due to Covid... and some plane challenges as well. I have always enjoyed each day I've been in the sky. There have been some frustrations no doubt, I'm thinking landings for sure. There have been some high stress times as well - dual cross country, trying to do dead reckoning, pilotage, figure ground speed, ETE's/ETA's, fuel burns, fly the plane, and talk to a Charlie we were inbound to (oh, and maybe throw a diversion in there somewhere or an emergency of some sort). But after the fact, it felt real good and rewarding. And the next time up it became easier and that felt even better. I'm about to do my solo XC and am really excited to venture out and experience it. So overall, I've loved the learning, and experiencing things that VERY few will ever do and something that I've always dreamed of doing - fly!

Last edited:
The lessons for the private were enjoyable... work, but still enjoyable. My instructor kept the lessons short, typically 45 minutes of loggable time.

On the other hand, the lessons for the IR were grinding. Near the end I was looking forward to the relative simple workload of a real instrument flight, even the training XC flights, (I was flying a cherokee 140... almost nothing happens fast in that bird)

Definitely moments of frustration during PPL training, for me it was mostly being under the hood. As others have said I was chasing a dream that started when I was a youngster, soloed at 17 and didn't finish and I finally got to fulfill that little kid's dream in my mid-50's loved every day I flew during training.

I had loads of fun during training. There will always be plateaus, backward steps, and frustrations, but that doesn't end after training.

It's not that I didn't like my PPL and instrument training, it's just that I viewed them as goals and I pursued them, especially the instrument, to the exclusion of the flying I do enjoy.

PPL I enjoyed nearly all of it. Same for instrument, though it was frustrating at times. The glider add-on wasn't always fun though. Doing steep turns around and around and around while the Florida sun bakes your head.....

There are sessions that are challenging and not so fun but some of the challenges are surprisingly fun.
The not so fun are mostly where you don't do things as well as you'd like to and beat yourself up over it.
For the most part I am having the time of my life....
It will only get better with more knowledge and confidence.

I too look forward to flying my own plane that I know from nose to tail and wingtip to wingtip is in tip top condition. With 1/4 of the total time and the wear and tear of the trainer I'm currently in and with the glass cockpit currently being installed in mine it should be a pleasure to fly.

I enjoyed pretty much all of it. Some parts I plateaued and got frustrated, but overall, it was awesome

It was mostly a means to an end. The dual cross country was when it became fun.

I'm on the final stretch of my PPL training and I'm starting to shop for my own plane to either finish my training in or fly after I get finished.

The other night I was getting ready for a night XC and the wife said something about having fun and I indicated that this was really not that fun at all. She started questioning why, if flying was not fun, was I shopping for my own plane?

My reasoning was- the flying part is absolutely fun but, once I have my own plane:

2)- I would not be in a plane where I'm half afraid might actually end in a REAL engine failure, fire, or similar problem (I'm sure the plane is completely safe but it is old, beat, and always has something wrong with it every time we get in- I just never feel 100% confident in it).

3)- I'm not being told where to go and what to do every minute of the flight. I can go/see/do what I want.

I think my reasoning makes sense but I'm wondering if most people have fun in their training or, like me, was it more of more a means to an end? I mean its not like I HATE every lesson and there are certainly days where some of the stuff is much more fun than others. Landing with simulated engine failures I kind of actually like for some reason and the daytime XC stuff was fun but I would consider the majority of the rest of the process mostly just stressful and not all that much 'fun'.

So... did you or do you have fun at your PPL lessons?

I had fun. Usually do when learning something new, I like challenge. And my CFI was a real character. But yeah, I see your point

"Fun" is a strange word. I found my PPL rewarding, enjoyable the vast majority of the time, and usually fun, I guess. "Fun," at least to me, connotes something that is entertaining, puts a smile on your face, and might even make you laugh a bit, while not being necessarily productive nor with an end goal in mind.. very different from, say, joy. Obtaining my PPL was a joyful experience, but not always fun.

I've started my IR a couple times, and need to restart it again... sigh. I sorely want the rating, but I confess I don't find slogging around with foggles on fun. Much less so than the PPL training. That's not why I stopped a couple times over the years... just life and plane issues got in the way. Still.. had I enjoyed the training a bit more, perhaps the motivation to persevere would have been great enough to overcome some of those challenges. I've got more time now. It'll happen. It won't be fun. It will bring me great joy.

We learn from our failures more than from our successes. Failure isn't fun, but it is productive! So, during those flights where you are getting beat up by your instructor, can't do anything right, etc. - a lot of learning happens. After you debrief with your instructor, then with yourself, you can't wait to go and do it again. It must be fun if you want to keep on doin' it!

That has been my experience.

Fun, enjoyable, challenging, frustrating, rewarding...really the full spectrum of emotions can be experienced during training and after you get your PPL (especially after). My lessons were limited to 1 hour, which I feel is long enough to learn something without getting overloaded. I also liked 1 hour lessons because I’m basically cheap and couldn’t stomach writing checks for 2 hours of plane and instructor! But that’s just me.

PPL training was definitely fun. The only less fun day was the sweaty-palms hour or so spent doing gusty, turbulent crosswind training in 15G20 conditions with my old-school instructor. On the other hand, the confidence gained from that day has paid off in spades. I ain't skeered of no crosswinds anymore. Which is essential flying in and out of my home airport.

IR training was even more fun. The sense of accomplishment was amazing, plus it is very practical. We also got to fly all over the northeastern US during the 40 hours of droning around and doing endless approaches.

Last edited:
Reactions: YKA
I really enjoyed about 98% of the training.
Had to weed out a few crappy instructors at the very beginning, but after that it was awesome. One flight on a really nasty weather day to a strange airport when doing my multi ifr was a bit stressful, but an awesome learning experience, and since that day I fell comfy no matter the airport or how bad the weather is. A hold, then approach to minimums at a new airport feel like nothing but a little thing now, because my instructor was great and really pushed me. But the best thing ever was acro lessons, I could do that every day for the next 25 years, and never get tired of it. Hence my plan to buy an acro plane, as well as family xc machine. Everyone should go do at least 25 hours of acro. It will change your life, and alleviate any fears about being in an unusual attitude.

I hated my instrument training. Never got to just fly the plane straight and level to get comfortable. Never-ending fire hose.

I was flying in what most would consider ideal for instrument training. Half a dozen medium and large airports with every kind of approach and all within a short distance. I pretty much never just flew straight and level for more than a couple of minutes.

Afterwards I realized I just should have told my instructor that I just wanted to have a simple straight and level flight. I should have asked to do a simple, fun flight under the hood. Maybe go somewhere under the hood in VFR and have lunch. I realized afterwards this was a mistake on my part.

Maybe just tell your instructor to want to go for a fun flight once in a while. Nothing wrong with that. He gets paid the same.

I hated my instrument training. Never got to just fly the plane straight and level to get comfortable. Never-ending fire hose.

I was flying in what most would consider ideal for instrument training. Half a dozen medium and large airports with every kind of approach and all within a short distance. I pretty much never just flew straight and level for more than a couple of minutes.

Afterwards I realized I just should have told my instructor that I just wanted to have a simple straight and level flight. I should have asked to do a simple, fun flight under the hood. Maybe go somewhere under the hood in VFR and have lunch. I realized afterwards this was a mistake on my part.

Maybe just tell your instructor to want to go for a fun flight once in a while. Nothing wrong with that. He gets paid the same.
It helped me a lot to do some fun vfr flights during my ifr. I did the Chicago lakeshore and a couple grass strips to break up the monotony of doing approach after approach.

On the positive side, doing all those approaches back to back makes real world instrument flying feel easy and relaxed.

By and large, I've love it. I think the only time it felt like "work" (using the term loosely) is when I was trying to get landings down. Not only was it frustrating when things weren't clicking as fast as I felt they should, but it was summertime in Atlanta - with two guys packed into an Archer doing pattern work with a 90 degree ambient temperature, let's just say it takes more than a little scented pine tree to get rid of that smell.

Solo XC is coming up on Saturday, weather permitting. Nervous and excited all at the same time. Same feeling I had when I knew my first solo was coming up. My primary training has been one of the most enjoyable, challenging and rewarding things I've ever undertaken (and also one of the most expensive, law school aside).

Solo XC is coming up on Saturday, weather permitting. Nervous and excited all at the same time. Same feeling I had when I knew my first solo was coming up. My primary training has been one of the most enjoyable, challenging and rewarding things I've ever undertaken (and also one of the most expensive, law school aside).

Enjoy it! The solo X/C is truly when you start to understand the utility and wonder of the journey you've started. :)

Look over there, is that Brad Pitt? A few minutes later...Uh oh, the landing gear won’t go down!

If your lessons aren't fun it's time for a new instructor.
True to an extent, but not always. I’ve had both good and bad instructors, for sure. But some types of training tend to be more of a “fit” to your personality and are more naturally enjoyable. For me:

PPL: training a blast, great instructor.

Tail wheel: training a blast, two instructors (due to availability), both instructors horrible.

Instrument: ridiculously tedious and boring, two instructors (again due to availability) both instructors excellent.

Complex: so-so enjoyment bordering on yawnsville, great instructor.

As far as the tail wheel instructors being horrible, the FAA agreed: years later I learned both instructors had their privileges revoked (each for different reasons as they were not working together).

When I find students hitting that point of they aren’t enjoying the flight,I will offer them a break from the lesson and ask them what they want to do. Sometimes a fun do nothing flight helps break the routine.

Thank you for all of the great replies! The more I think about it, and after reading your replies, I think the instructor sets the whole tone for how much fun the lessons will be. It is really just like any other teacher of any other subject. I know I've had history teachers, for example, that just spewed out monotone dates and names for an hour and I've had others that really brought the subject to life and made it interesting and fun.

My instructor is a nice guy and I learn a ton from him. No complaints. The lessons really just seem like drinking from a firehose from the time the wheels leave the earth though (or maybe I'm just a slow drinker :) ). There is really not any sight seeing, or joking around, or really even much small talk. Just "turn to heading..., climb to... steep turn... oops your engine died....". And I really don't say that in a bad way at all. I'm sure he is just thinking that I'm paying by the hour so they try to get as much knowledge stuffed in my head as possible in that time and that's fine. I'm not paying for a buddy. I'm paying for the knowledge and I'm getting it.

I will say that if I wasn't fully committed to doing this I would have dropped out a long time ago because this process has certainly not been fun. Rewarding - yes. Sense of accomplishment - yes. But fun- no.

Last edited:
My instructor is a nice guy and I learn a ton from him. No complaints. The lessons really just seem like drinking from a firehose from the time the wheels leave the earth though (or maybe I'm just a slow drinker :) ). There is really not any sight seeing, or joking around, or really even much small talk. Just "turn to heading..., climb to... steep turn... oops your engine died....". And I really don't say that in a bad way at all. I'm sure he is just thinking that I'm paying by the hour so they try to get as much knowledge stuffed in my head as possible in that time and that's fine. I'm not paying for a buddy. I'm paying for the knowledge and I'm getting it.

I will say that if I wasn't fully committed to doing this I would have dropped out a long time ago because this process has certainly not been fun. Rewarding - yes. Sense of accomplishment - yes. But fun- no.

As a 5 hour student pilot, this is true for me so far. My brain is working at 100% the whole time and there isn't a lot of time for it to be 'fun'. When you finally get that maneuver right on the 10th try though, it really is a good feeling.

Sounds like my instructor, who now charges $85/hr. When I started with him back in 2004, he charged $40/hr. He's always been worth it. For $85/hr, I WANT a fire hose of instruction. Fun, I can have on my own time. Sounds to me like your instructor is being extremely efficient with you, and giving you the most he/she possibly can for your money. You also seem to realize that. I've got to admit, there have been plenty of times I'd rather be paying $40/hr for less efficient but more "congenial" instruction, but my instructor needs to make a living too. The more students he can serve, and serve well, at $85/hr, the better for him. If I need to remember why flying is fun, I go by myself, or take along my wife or a friend. It's all good.

I thought the solo xc flights were enjoyable. An xc with the instructor where we stopped for lunch was enjoyable. But after I choked halfway thru my 1st checkride attempt, the remedial flying felt generally like work. Several days of solo landing practice helped me learn a decent landing flair: getting that right was very satisfying (but not exactly fun). Taking friends & family for short rides is the next thing to learn. As oft said, it’s a ‘license to learn’!

LSA Student here! I’ve had 1 total hour of flight time & more scheduled in the coming days/weeks! It’s so peaceful up in a small plane! Everything has its place & makes more sense. Not sure if that’s a weird take, but I didn’t want to land! So excited for this journey!

LSA Student here! I’ve had 1 total hour of flight time & more scheduled in the coming days/weeks! It’s so peaceful up in a small plane! Everything has its place & makes more sense. Not sure if that’s a weird take, but I didn’t want to land! So excited for this journey!

I have about 5 hours in LSA and I agree that just being up there in the sky feels so free, but also know that there are many things to learn to become a safe and efficient pilot. I've risen in a couple regular planes (warrior and 172) and will say that the little LSA planes (training in a Pipistrel Alpha Trainer) is a whole lot sportier, I would compare it like a Cadillac to a corvette. With that takes a lot more of attention and finesse.

I know there will be times when it's not fun, but it will always be rewarding just being able to be up in the sky.

Back