Accelerated or Finish-Up Instrument Training

eventualpilot

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
eventualpilot
Looking for an Accelerated or Finish-Up IFR program preferably in the southeast but willing to travel.

In early March 2020 I had completed all of my requirements for the Instrument rating and my CFII was talking to a DPE to schedule my check ride. Then COVID hit and everything shut down. My CFII decided to take an extended break and ending up having surgery in the fall and last I heard is awaiting a special issuance medical.

I haven’t flown since then and I plan to go back to a local flight school for a BFR in late spring/early summer for a BFR and knock off the rust and then go right into the accelerated program.

I am looking for a program that uses a 172, preferably with a GTN series GPS and G5 HSI (what I used for my prior instrument training). I have very little time in aircraft outside of the 152/172 family and would like to avoid spending extra time/money becoming familiar with non-Cessna aircraft or G1000 avionics.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

IFR6's price seems high as it doesn't include an aircraft.

Scott Best is in the right price range, but doesn't appear to have a Cessna.

Thanks.

IFR6's price seems high as it doesn't include an aircraft.

Scott Best is in the right price range, but doesn't appear to have a Cessna.

He uses a Warrior. G430. And has 1 G5. I did and IPC with him. He does a 7 day instrument rating, but I think he stays pretty booked.

OUR WARRIOR II (The Duck) WAS RECENTLY OVERHAULED AND IS EQUIPPED WITH THE GARMIN GNS 430W, GARMIN G5 PFD, KX-155 (NAV-2), KT-74 TRANSPONDER (ADS-B OUT), CENTURY IIB AUTOPILOT AND GDL-39/3D FOR ADS-B IN

http://obxflight.com

http://obxflight.blogspot.com

He uses a Warrior. G430. And has 1 G5. I did and IPC with him. He does a 7 day instrument rating, but I think he stays pretty booked.

OUR WARRIOR II (The Duck) WAS RECENTLY OVERHAULED AND IS EQUIPPED WITH THE GARMIN GNS 430W, GARMIN G5 PFD, KX-155 (NAV-2), KT-74 TRANSPONDER (ADS-B OUT), CENTURY IIB AUTOPILOT AND GDL-39/3D FOR ADS-B IN

http://obxflight.com

http://obxflight.blogspot.com

Seems like a good program, just not in consideration due to Piper.

Seems like a good program, just not in consideration due to Piper

First, this is insulting. You should be more sensitive to those of us who fly aeroplanes with the wings where they are supposed to be. In this day and age of thinking about people's feelings and snowflakes and all... I think I am triggered. I need an emotional support animal. Or maybe to just talk about my emotions... I'll take that over to the chat.

Second... I didn't end up going with OBX Flight, but I had several phone and email conversations with Lisa and I can say they are a great operation. She even forwarded to me a ton of instructional materials even after I told her I was going to finish up my IR locally. She didn't have to do that. That's the kind of operation they are.

Don't be afraid of the Piper. I transitioned from a 172 to an Arrow and it took all of a couple hours to figure out the sight picture for the transition and landing. Most of your time with Scott would be spent on instrument procedures, not landings anyway. You'll go missed far more often than you will land. And your head will be on the panel scanning anyway, so the difference between Cezna and Piper shouldn't matter there.

And hey, once you learn to fly the low(proper)-wing, you may find out something about yourself...

First, this is insulting. You should be more sensitive to those of us who fly aeroplanes with the wings where they are supposed to be.

Now I am triggered. Can we compromise and get both a wing on the top and the bottom?

Now I am triggered. Can we compromise and get both a wing on the top and the bottom

I respect your emotions and am empathetic to your position on the matter. You validate me. I was wrong to presume identifying as low wing was the better wing.

As an Alum of the Scott Best program; I was very happy in the 7-day instruction I received. The Duck is a fine airplane and while its not the 172 you covet, it would be unwise for you to not at least consider it or even talk to Scott.

Can we compromise and get both a wing on the top and the bottom?
I tried to start up the low wing vs. high wing argument with a bunch of other pilots and got everyone giving me confused looks....

Could be because it was while I was with a group of balloon pilots and we were well into a fresh bottle of champagne after the morning's flight....

I have no problem with low-wing aircraft. I have about 8 hours in a Warrior and Arrow (6-7 years ago) and ultimately plan on looking for partnership/club with a Bonanza, Cirrus, or similar, but 95%+ percent of my time is split between 152s and 172s.

Not sure if the extra time/money to get familiar with a Warrior again would be worth it, but maybe I cant find one to do a BFR with and that would be sufficient preparation.

I have no problem with low-wing aircraft. I have about 8 hours in a Warrior and Arrow (6-7 years ago) and ultimately plan on looking for partnership/club with a Bonanza, Cirrus, or similar, but 95%+ percent of my time is split between 152s and 172s.

Not sure if the extra time/money to get familiar with a Warrior again would be worth it, but maybe I cant find one to do a BFR with and that would be sufficient preparation.

Seriously, by time you get through with the training you'll be used to the Warrior again. I normally fly a 172 and doing my IPC in his Warrior was no problem. You fly probably an average of 5 hours a day with @SbestCFII. You'll have it before the first day is done.

Back