"Fly the Cherokee", he said ..... Or: I learned an important lesson.

Shepherd

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Shepherd
"The heat works so well you could fly it in your underwear", he said. (sorry for any after images that might have caused.)
It's been really cold, and the Cub has a carburetor issue, so I've been flying the Cherokees the last couple of weeks. The cabin heat works really well, in both planes.
Yesterday, after I finished my pre-flight, I took off my coat, and tossed it in the back, as usual.
Having kicked the tires, I lit the fires and went off to have an adventure, or at least have some fun.
Which I did.
Until I was about 45 minutes into the flight.
I was taking off on the homeward leg and suddenly there was a blast of frigid air coming in from the vents. Jiggle, jiggle, push, pull, Crap! No joy.
I'm in my shirtsleeves, and by the time I landed the cabin temperature was equal to the outside temperature (about 18F) and my teeth were chattering so hard I could barely talk on the radio.
Always dress like you are going to walk home. I violated one of my own rules.
More clothing, less cabin heat. Got it.

I hate flying in a restrictive heavy winter coat, but I always think about if I would have time to grab it in an emergency. All the planes I typically fly have great heat, but I always think about what would happen if the engine quit and I end up in a field at 10F for a few hours.

In my first Cherokee the cold air always seemed to come in from the back of the plane. It didn't matter how much heat was coming in at the front, a jacket was mandatory on a chilly day.

By the time you get to -20, only the foot nearest the center is warm, even with the heater working.

My winter clothes generally fall into 2 categories: Preflight and flight. On the really cold days it's a down parka and heavy gloves for crawling around outside. But for flying, it's either light mechanics gloves or none, plus a few layers of flannel and sweatshirt and maybe a fleece vest, and the heavy stuff gets tossed in the back seat. Then I can keep cabin heat to a minimum. I can handle most anything that way, but if I wear anything more than that, I'm too bound up or end up sweating too much. And if it's any colder than that, then there's always another day.

Reactions: YKA
Over the years I've frozen in the cockpit and sweated my arse off with all the layers on. In winter I'll wear wool or ski socks and hiking boots and I have a pair of flannel lined jeans or a great pair of insulated ripstop nylon BDU pants I'll wear. Its north of the waist that's always the challenge. The best solution that I've found is a fleece pull over with a vest. I have a great vest with tons of pockets and has some good padding/insulation. Keeps me warm but allows more ventilation than a winter coat and even more when you unzip it.

my cabin heat thankfully is working pretty well. yesterday it was about 10 outside and i didnt have to wear the coat inside, i do keep it in the right seat though, always. the thought about a forced landing in a corn field where it feels like -20 in not very fuzzy and warm. couldnt even get the CHT s to above 300 yesterday. its been a warm winter here but man this week its kicking butts.

I was taking off on the homeward leg and suddenly there was a blast of frigid air coming in from the vents. Jiggle, jiggle, push, pull, Crap! No joy.

So what was the problem? Did a SCAT hose let go?

In my first Cherokee the cold air always seemed to come in from the back of the plane. It didn't matter how much heat was coming in at the front, a jacket was mandatory on a chilly day.
An annual fall ritual for me with my Warrior is to put a piece of clear packing tape over the inlet for the overhead vents. On my plane that’s up high on the tail. That cuts out the brain freeze from the overhead vents and still leaves options with the lower vents.

Re the OP, carrying a vest within arm’s reach is how I usually address the risk: it may not make -18 warm but it tends to help a lot and is easier to put on and take off. In fact, starting out with it on and just unzipping it open when I get too warm works pretty well. Then again I’m in Texas...

I'm from the South... what is cold weather? Everyone is panicking when it's 35 outside. I imagine that is pretty warm for some places in the Winter.

Jiggle, jiggle, push, pull,

For those that don't know, this is from the official check list for when the heat goes out....:lol:

And I am here to say that when in a 207 flying north of the Arctic Circle with an outside temp of -10, when I saw ice adhering to the leading edge of the wings, the inside of that plane becomes very warm because I would start sweating....

One thing for certain about Comanche flying, there's always cabin
heat.

Always dress like you are going to walk home.
I dress warm, but if I had to dress like I was going to walk home. I would have to wear snow boots a snowmobile suite maybe show shoes....:rolleyes:
why did cabin heat fail

Grummans have a binary heating system. The heat vents are a blast furnace and will roast you right out of the cabin. I can't tolerate more than partial heat. Pull the vents to let in cold air to balance the heat at altitude, and it's like sticking your hands in the freezer. Balancing out the airflow reminds me of using the sinks in the U.K., where it is apparently unbecoming to mix hot and cold water together before it comes out into the sink from separate faucets. Hot! Cold! Hot! Cold cold cold! Hot! Ow! Cold!

I dress warm, but if I had to dress like I was going to walk home. I would have to wear snow boots a snowmobile suite maybe show shoes....:rolleyes:
why did cabin heat fail
I used to do that back in my Baron charter days...-20 in Minneapolis, -35 in International Falls. Long johns, Sorrell boots, heavy coat, gloves, & hat. Plus “cold weather” clothes in a duffle behind the seat.

And my female passengers showed up in above-the-knee skirts and open-toed shoes.:rolleyes::rolleyes:

I dress warm, but if I had to dress like I was going to walk home. I would have to wear snow boots a snowmobile suite maybe show shoes....

Ya need to get out of civilization and go above the Arctic Circle and fly one winter. You will get used to flying in bunny boots, warm gloves and oversized parka as well as a snow machine suit....:lol::lol:

My heater sucks, so I wear a snow suit in winter :D Its actually pretty comfortable. Beats trying to guess the appropriate amount of layers to wear.

Wait. No one else flies in their underwear?

Or swim. I don't miss flying in a drysuit but I'm also not flying over much water anymore.

Nauga,
and his full-body condom

Flying low-levels through the mountains of Norway = big fun. Getting dressed to fly off and on the boat to get to the mountains of Norway? :(

Once I have a plane of my own, I think a sleeping bag will be a permanent addition with the other stuff. For now, heavier clothes in the back seat and a light jacket is perfect.

Once I have a plane of my own, I think a sleeping bag will be a permanent addition with the other stuff. For now, heavier clothes in the back seat and a light jacket is perfect.
A tent and sleeping bag were always in my Maule...never knew where I might end up stuck due to weather.

Grummans have a binary heating system. The heat vents are a blast furnace and will roast you right out of the cabin. I can't tolerate more than partial heat. Pull the vents to let in cold air to balance the heat at altitude, and it's like sticking your hands in the freezer. Balancing out the airflow reminds me of using the sinks in the U.K., where it is apparently unbecoming to mix hot and cold water together before it comes out into the sink from separate faucets. Hot! Cold! Hot! Cold cold cold! Hot! Ow! Cold!
Um... Fill the basin?

I know, I know... Old school right?

Well, I'm sure it's mandated in the green weenie deal... Or somewhere... Maybe it's my parents reminding me of all the starving children in India when I didn't clean my plate?

By the time you get to -20, only the foot nearest the center is warm, even with the heater working.
Depends on whether the sun is shining. I had my PA-28-161 up at -35c OAT once, and it was fine as long as the sun was shining through the windows, but whenever a cloud came between me and the sun, the cabin chilled noticeably.

Note that I was wearing a base layer, as I usually do for winter flying.

why did cabin heat fail
Base layer, pants, thermal socks, sweater, boots, and a parka unzipped with warm mittens and a toque in the pockets. That way I don't overheat while flying, but everything's attached to me in case I need to exit the plane in a hurry. I keep a couple of vents open in the winter to reduce the CO risk, but even so, I'm more likely to feel too hot than too cold with the heater going.

Back