Library of Congress has sectionals from "way back in the day"

Similar thread over on the Pilot's Place. Here's what I posted over there:
Totally cool. I've written a few aviation content novels and I spent a lot of time tracking down 1940s vintage charts. I never found these.

Thanks.

Not all the maps are Aviation Charts. I've encountered a few topos.
Finding what you want is not easy, but the 6520 charts can be arranged in alphabetical order.

- set the view to list.
- select any chart. The single chart will display. Charts are organized in sets by city, with the most recent charts with the lowest numbers. For example: the Seattle set is 5642-5728 spanning 1934-1971. Both sides of charts (chart & Notes) which have them are sequential.
just below the city is an "image" drop down menu of chart numbers. A binary search will quickly find the city you want.

Here is a quick alphabetical index:
1000: Charlotte, NC
2000: Douglas, AZ
3000: Kootenai, ID topo
4000: Mt. Shasta, CA
5000: Reno, NV
6000: Tulsa, OK

- A binary search splits the remaining list in half.
- - Example: You're looking for Sacramento.
- - - It lies between Reno and Tulsa
- - - Go to 5500 - you see San Francisco.
- - - Go to 5250 - you see Salt Lake.
- - - Go to 5125 - you found Sacramento.

The 1940s charts are interesting, with the "Restricted" notation at the bottom, during WWII.

And I found something curious just before WWII, with the A-N radio navigation system. It seems that the routes didn't connect very well initially. I'm just not sure how you could fly across the country that way. But later that was fixed. Here are screenshots for Des Moines, before and after they fixed that curious problem:

Aug 1935 - big misalignment in routes
Screen Shot 2021-01-26 at 9.59.10 PM.png

May 1941 - small misalignment
Screen Shot 2021-01-26 at 9.49.39 PM.png

Nov. 1941 - problem solved
Screen Shot 2021-01-26 at 9.50.05 PM.png

I’m anxious to find my area 1947 when my bird took flight and who’s first home after leaving Kansas is about 30nm from her home base today

Not all the maps are Aviation Charts. I've encountered a few topos.
Finding what you want is not easy, but the 6520 charts can be arranged in alphabetical order.

- set the view to list.<snip>

Thank you sir! This was a great help ...

I love all that stuff. From the yellow arrows and lighted beacons, to the A’s & N’s.

- set the view to list.
- select any chart. The single chart will display. Charts are organized in sets by city, with the most recent charts with the lowest numbers. For example: the Seattle set is 5642-5728 spanning 1934-1971. Both sides of charts (chart & Notes) which have them are sequential.
just below the city is an "image" drop down menu of chart numbers.

I could not find this drop down menu. But I do notice that the URL ends in a /?sp=3500 mark where the 3500 is the item number in that scheme. So one can just type in a number there as well.

I have the San Antonio (O-5) chart dated June 29, 1944. It is marked RESTRICTED. The other interesting thing, comparing to a modern sectional of the area, is the significant enlargement of the urban (yellow) areas of San Antonio and Houston. Numerous "DANGER" and "CAUTION" areas over the Gulf of Mexico in the 1944 version.

I could not find this drop down menu. But I do notice that the URL ends in a /?sp=3500 mark where the 3500 is the item number in that scheme. So one can just type in a number there as well.
- set the view to list.
- select any chart. The single chart will display.
- Upper left, just above the chart window, is a dropdown, image: [Box with number][GO]

And I found something curious just before WWII, with the A-N radio navigation system. It seems that the routes didn't connect very well initially. I'm just not sure how you could fly across the country that way. But later that was fixed. Here are screenshots for Des Moines, before and after they fixed that curious problem:

I wonder if this was a change in the antennas, or just a change in the charting. It seems like the listed bearings are just a 1 degree change. Maybe a rounding prior to charting sort of issue?

I am also curious now exactly what the colored area was supposed to indicate? Remember that with these four course ranges one listened to the Morse for A .- and N -. and tried to identify their superposition into a continuous tone to find the middle of the course.

I have a Montana aeronautical map of my Dads from 1948 . Took it to the matting shop to get it mounted.
The new airport was dedicated in April of 1948 but the map still shows' the old single runway dirt/grass runway location. Interesting thing is it shows the farm runway location of one of the airport commissioners. He was the neighbor who Dad bought the J-5 Piper from.
It will hang in KSBX office.

Back