Flying to Oakland (OAK)

Scott@KTYR

Pattern Altitude
PoA Supporter
Display Name

Display name:
Scott@KTYR
Thinking about flying to Oakland (OAK) if they allow fans to attend opening day of Baseball.
Any advice on this airport.
Thanks in advance.

OAK is pretty laid back for a C. I've done pattern work there and they were accommodating. FBOs probably are expensive but that is relative and may not be a factor. I've been in there a few times and don't remember it being wildly expensive.

Thinking about flying to Oakland (OAK) if they allow fans to attend opening day of Baseball.
Any advice on this airport.
Thanks in advance.

I'm based at KOAK, so can't comment on the FBOs or prices, but a few general pointers:
  • Familiarize yourself with the sectional and also key roads and landmarks on Google Maps. Approach and OAK Tower will often give instructions that reference points like Lake Chabot, the Nimitz Freeway, the Coliseum, the Mormon Temple, and the Toll Plaza -- for example, "direct Lake Chabot, right base runway 28R," or "after take off, follow the Nimitz Freeway northbound." If you're coming in VFR, it these will depend which direction you are coming from, but it's handy to be aware of these reporting / instruction points.
  • KOAK is basically two different airports -- the jet traffic from runway 30 on the south side of the field, then GA on the north side from 33, 28R and 28L. Don't worry about the jet traffic, the alignment of the runways and airspace means there is usually no issue, though if you are inbound from the east or south Approach may warn you of jet traffic/wake turbulence overhead.
  • If you're coming in IFR, you will usually be told to expect ILS 28R, so take a look at that chart beforehand (of course can always request something different, there are also RNAV approaches for both of the 28s.

I'm based at KOAK, so can't comment on the FBOs or prices, but a few general pointers:
  • Familiarize yourself with the sectional and also key roads and landmarks on Google Maps. Approach and OAK Tower will often give instructions that reference points like Lake Chabot, the Nimitz Freeway, the Coliseum, the Mormon Temple, and the Toll Plaza -- for example, "direct Lake Chabot, right base runway 28R," or "after take off, follow the Nimitz Freeway northbound." If you're coming in VFR, it these will depend which direction you are coming from, but it's handy to be aware of these reporting / instruction points.
  • KOAK is basically two different airports -- the jet traffic from runway 30 on the south side of the field, then GA on the north side from 33, 28R and 28L. Don't worry about the jet traffic, the alignment of the runways and airspace means there is usually no issue, though if you are inbound from the east or south Approach may warn you of jet traffic/wake turbulence overhead.
  • If you're coming in IFR, you will usually be told to expect ILS 28R, so take a look at that chart beforehand (of course can always request something different, there are also RNAV approaches for both of the 28s.
Thanks
Great info.

Back