Mid Atlantic Fuel stop

Groundpounder

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Emerson Bigguns
Looking to see if there is a good airport between Norfolk and Wilmington, and east of Raleigh with cheap-ish 100LL and an on airport restaurant.

I presume an airport with a courtesy car is out of the question? Lots of options then.

otherwise, SFQ and PVG (both close to ORF) have dining on field and fuel prices until he mid $4 range.

I presume an airport with a courtesy car is out of the question? Lots of options then.

otherwise, SFQ and PVG (both close to ORF) have dining on field and fuel prices until he mid $4 range.

It is going to be a long day of flying, so rather not waste time trying to find an off airport eatery.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Only airports with food on or nearby the field between ORF and ILM that I’m aware of are BQ1 and Ocrakoke (W95). But neither have fuel.

Last edited:

Did they open a new restaurant at SFQ?

A bit west of Norfolk is JGG (Williamsburg) has on-field dining (check the hours) and fuel. May be a tad out of your way, though.

Sorry, I was thinking Wilmington, DE.

On airport eatery between orf and ilm? Nope, nada, zilch. Settle for cheapish fuel and pack a picnic lunch.
Last I looked, Goldsboro (KGWW) is $3.67/gal. OCW is $.20 more easterly. Kinston has good fuel prices also.

Last edited:
Food on the field will be tough in that area...
BQ1 has great food on the field but make sure you have cash. Also, as noted above, no fuel.

Food on the field will be tough in that area...
BQ1 has great food on the field but make sure you have cash. Also, as noted above, no fuel.

pretty sure they take cards now as well..........

It is going to be a long day of flying, so rather not waste time trying to find an off airport eatery.

So is this part of a longer trip with stops in Norfolk and Wilmington?

I'm ORF/CPK based. As has been pointed out, there aren't really many options in between Norfolk and Wilmington. Depending on the timeline, I would consider making my eating stop at JGG vice ORF. Charly's is one of the better on airport restaurants and fuel is reasonable. BUT if you go that route, verify what days they are open. I think right now it is Wed-Sun, but best to check.

I hear ya. If the on field options don’t work out, there are plenty of courtesy car dining options. And courtesy cars down here in the south basically consist of throwing the keys at you and pointing you to the local BBQ joint.

Not sure if it’s new, but...

Suffolk BBQ Co @ the Airport
1200 Gene Bolton Dr, Suffolk, VA 23434
(757) 925-1174
https://goo.gl/maps/qZN3EvibE9dgMhFj8

The reviews seem to suggest it’s open. Like everything these days, call ahead...
Just looked it up on ForeFlight. Says it was open 7 days a week a month ago.

They had a restaurant there when I first moved here that shut down due to lack of business and was an vacant spot in the FBO for the longest time.

I'll have to check it out. Thanks for mentioning it!

So is this part of a longer trip with stops in Norfolk and Wilmington?

I'm ORF/CPK based. As has been pointed out, there aren't really many options in between Norfolk and Wilmington. Depending on the timeline, I would consider making my eating stop at JGG vice ORF. Charly's is one of the better on airport restaurants and fuel is reasonable. BUT if you go that route, verify what days they are open. I think right now it is Wed-Sun, but best to check.

This is part of a New England to Florida trip, and vice versa a week later, and anywhere between ORF and ILM is prime fuel stop territory.

I think I'll just pack a lunch.

This is part of a New England to Florida trip, and vice versa a week later, and anywhere between ORF and ILM is prime fuel stop territory.

What kind of airplane?

It’s only an 1:15-1:30 between ORF and ILM in most airplanes. Just plan your lunch/fuel stop for the Hampton Roads area (JGG/PVG/SFQ).

One other possible consideration is food delivery. With all the various food delivery apps it’s pretty easy to have food delivered to your destination. You can select your ETA and have the food waiting for you when you arrive.

Nothing with fuel significantly better than Norfolk.

KCRE at North Myrtle is not too much more in gas price and you can walk to several restaurants.

One other possible consideration is food delivery. With all the various food delivery apps it’s pretty easy to have food delivered to your destination. You can select your ETA and have the food waiting for you when you arrive.
Ya but make sure delivery happens in an on-time manner. In some places the delivery outfits don't meet their promises and deliveries are delayed by 1-2 hours beyond the promised time. I had that experience in DC where the delivery was delayed by nearly 2 hours by one of the big-name outfits. Never again.

I stopped at KONX (Currituck County) on a similar FL to NE trip. Nice stop, reasonable fuel. Didn't eat, but was offered a crew car and some nearby suggestions.

Back