Prospective Student: Am I Boned?

M

moonfkr

Hi, all. Forgive me if this is not the appropriate place to post this, but I am in desperate need of advice. Basically, I have been seriously considering commercial flying as a career. I’m currently in college finishing up my BA and I’m very unhappy with my current career trajectory.

However, there are some… things that concern me in passing my medicals and whatnot:
  1. I think I have depression, and ideally, would like to seek help. But I know that if I get that diagnosis stamped on my record, there’s no going back. I’ve dug my own grave. And god forbid, I shouldn’t even think about going on meds.
  2. I received an MIP a couple years back (dumb, I know). It’s just a civil infraction, but it shows up on my driving record still. And it gets worse…
  3. I was hospitalized for intoxication a few years ago (undergrad, amirite…?), so that will undoubtedly show up on my medical records.
I’m not an alcoholic, just a dumb college kid. I dunno if the FAA will agree with me on that one, though. I’ve read cases of pilots being able to jump through the FAA’s hoops with honestly much worse cases, but only with a lot of time and a lot of money.

Is it even worth it for me to continue this pursuit, or should I give up now? This is the only prospective job that has even remotely excited me, and I don’t really know what I’m gonna do if I have to give it up (mind you, I haven’t even spent a dime towards this yet lol).

I’ve considered just not seeking help for my depression so I can pass my medicals with (a little more) ease, but I already know that, in the long term, it will come back to bite me in the ass.

Basically what I’m asking is, YES, I understand it is possible for me to receive a SI or whatever, but is it worth it? Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, guys.

tldr; I haven’t even started flying yet, but my dumb ass has already complicated things (alcohol incidents, depression) that I fear will prevent me from flying commercially.

Well if I’m being honest, you aren’t really sounding like the “I’ll do what it takes” kind of person here so it makes me question whether you really even want it. Look through the forums here and you will find a ton of posts from people who have gone through/are going through hell to get issued. Why? Because to them..(us), it’s worth it.

next up...the depression. If you’re really depressed...please don’t fly. Get yourself treated. You’ll be hard pressed to find anyone here who will tell you to lie on your MedXpress just to avoid the hoops. You’ve got the alcohol incidents as well, so you would still have those hoops.

is it possible? Yes.
Easy? No.
Worth it? Only you can answer that, but you best start with being honest with yourself and your doctor first.

...and if you’re a troll...you have wayyyy too much time on your hands.

Health first. Then figure out work. Flying might not work out and will probably be really expensive if it does. But there are lots of jobs.

If it helps, many pilots say a career flying isn't what it used to be. It’s not nearly as nice now.

Last edited:
I hate to do this, but I'll be blunt. Despite your protestations, you do have a substance abuse problem. The arrests and hospitalizations are more than enough for anyone to make the diagnosis and way more than the FAA is going to need to deny you a medical. I can guarantee that they are going to want psychological testing even to consider a special issuance, so you might as well get your self in order. Just be careful about having medication prescribed to you on the "let's see if this helps" attitude. You should not accept it unless your doctor feels it is absolutely necessary.

You need to have a frank discussion with a good AME like Dr. Bruce prior to even applying. He can tell you once he has your actual history what you're going to be up against.

I disagree with flyingron in part and agree with him in part. I'm not convinced an underage and a hospitalization in college means you have a drinking problem now but the hospitalization is going to scream out like a screech owl. That said I agree with everything else he said. If you have any chance you need to consult with a good AME like Doc Bruce and do everything he says do not negotiate with him just do it. Now as for the depression, Don't be a fool really. Do not put off treatment for that just to get your ticket. If everything else works out you may still be able to fly with certain anti depression meds but again speak to a good AME about that.

I hate to do this, but I'll be blunt. Despite your protestations, you do have a substance abuse problem. The arrests and hospitalizations are more than enough for anyone to make the diagnosis and way more than the FAA is going to need to deny you a medical. I can guarantee that they are going to want psychological testing even to consider a special issuance, so you might as well get your self in order. Just be careful about having medication prescribed to you on the "let's see if this helps" attitude. You should not accept it unless your doctor feels it is absolutely necessary.

You need to have a frank discussion with a good AME like Dr. Bruce prior to even applying. He can tell you once he has your actual history what you're going to be up against.
This. All of this. You've done some impressively stupid things that point to there being a problem. If you continue to do stupid things like ignoring the very good advice of people who know what they're talking about, then please... don't fly. Find another hobby. If you don't like your current "career trajectory", whatever that means for someone still in college, then maybe pick another one.

Edit: Not that doing impressively stupid things means you CAN'T get past them. You can, probably, if you're willing to take sound advice, honestly recognize and address what happened and what you need to do to prevent things like them in the future, and treat this as the badly needed wakeup call that it can be. You need to do that whether you decide to fly or not.

Last edited:
The aviation business can be a real sack of dicks. I’m slipping into my third decade now and currently dealing with my most recent furlough and having to commute to the opposite coast for work. This coming from a spot where I was home almost every day for over a year. I have been at work for most holidays and birthdays for 22 years now. I did get Christmas at home this year which surprised me.

this is not a good business for someone with untreated depression. It leads to all kinds of substance abuse problems when people start self medicating. There seems to be much broader acceptance of heavy drinking within the aviation field and I’ve always wondered if it came from untreated mental issues.

take care of you first.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back