Some ear candy for Ted...

Sac Arrow

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Snorting his way across the USA

Russian copy of a Detroit Diesel.

These guys are in the process of restoring an old Soviet era T55 tank. Or rather, the Chinese Norinco copy. So far they have the hull done and the engine runs and they can drive it around. They are currently working on the turret. Their newest project is the Russian BMP in the background.

Ahh yes, good old 4-71. I've actually been more interested in the 53 series lately among the old 2-strokes. There's one guy who swapped a 4-53T into his F-350 to replace the PowerStroke 6.4, hooked it up to the Ford 5R110 automatic. Pretty neat conversion.

Puttin a Cat in the Rover would be cooler though. ;)

If you are going to re-engine the Rover then something more Teddish is surely required? Say a Merlin? (Well it's the tank one, but still good enough.) Google [merlin rover sd1] for more.

Here is a fun looking re-engined Rover.

upload_2021-1-25_13-57-46.png

mYo4BhgrAA6hP8jKUzRxsME7id8WkvAjWAGNg9UxyEo.jpg

This looks like an earlier version but shows more.
upload_2021-1-25_14-4-31.png

If you are going to re-engine the Rover then something more Teddish is surely required? Say a Merlin? (Well it's the tank one, but still good enough.) Google [merlin rover sd1] for more.

Here is a fun looking re-engined Rover.

View attachment 93520

mYo4BhgrAA6hP8jKUzRxsME7id8WkvAjWAGNg9UxyEo.jpg

This looks like an earlier version but shows more.
View attachment 93521

I'm talking about my Land Rover Discovery. A Cat 3114 will be a very Ted-ish repower for that vehicle.

See:

https://www.pilotsofamerica.com/com...thinking-about-cat-swapping-the-disco.130298/

Crazy Japanese dude creates exhaust that makes Benz V12 cars sound like F1 car.

And now I want one of those.

I like my Mercedes V12, but I wouldn't want it to sound like that. I really enjoy the looks on the faces of the guys who don't fully understand what just happened.

I like my Mercedes V12, but I wouldn't want it to sound like that. I really enjoy the looks on the faces of the guys who don't fully understand what just happened.
Lol that S600 sounded wild, but isn't going to "surprise" a lot of modern vehicles from a performance standpoint. That sound would get old real quick on a luxury sedan.

Lol that S600 sounded wild, but isn't going to "surprise" a lot of modern vehicles from a performance standpoint. That sound would get old real quick on a luxury sedan.

Back in it's day it was fast, today, it's on par with the turbo 4 and 6 cyl luxury sedans. The present V8 German cars would eat it's lunch. But speed isn't the point, it's the sound.

Reactions: Ted

Dale's Mercedes S-class is, as he's described it, very fast and quite the sleeper. So the point is nobody realizes what they're sitting next to at a traffic light, on the highway, etc. until they suddenly see it gone 1/4 mile ahead of them and they can't comprehend how it did 65-165 faster than you can say "Kraftfahrzeug-Haftpflichtversicherung" (translate that if you want to see the hidden joke).

Back in it's day it was fast, today, it's on par with the turbo 4 and 6 cyl luxury sedans. The present V8 German cars would eat it's lunch. But speed isn't the point, it's the sound.

Exactly. The 90s S600 is not fast by modern standards. None of the vehicles that my wife and I have in the stable are fast by modern standards, but they are more satisfying to drive in many ways. It's completely about the sound.

I also agree with the point that on a big luxury land barge, the novelty of that may wear off as it sounds very loud from the videos. Even I'm thinking about putting a muffler on the Ram.

It's completely about the sound.

Which is why some prefer a Harley when a K1600 or Goldwing is much more technologically advanced for the same money. (Although a Goldwing flat six with Two Brothers pipes sounds pretty damned good in it's own right)

Which is why some prefer a Harley when a K1600 or Goldwing is much more technologically advanced for the same money. (Although a Goldwing flat six with Two Brothers pipes sounds pretty damned good in it's own right)

Exactly. Engine sound/vibrations/etc. are preferable to some (including me). One of these days I'll probably ride one of the touring BMWs for fun just to see what I think of it. The last BMW I rode I didn't much care for. That was a while ago, though.

Yeah, I did the same ... not even reluctantly. Cool for a while but quickly tiring.

The real issues for me are the drone that it has above about 72 MPH, and also the sound the exhaust brake makes now, which sounds very similar to the MU-2 at ground idle in pitch and volume.

It would indeed. To the point that I would consider it un-driveable, nothing but a novelty. What I love about mine is the lack of "sturm und drang" as it just accelerates around (or past, which is even more fun) pretty much whatever you like as if moved by the hand of God, as my son puts it.

There's always someone faster than you, I don't care who you are or what you drive. But... I like knowing that it's a relatively small number, a very small percentage, and anyone who does manage to squeak past me has almost assuredly spent a whole lot more money doing so. :)

I know, that's why I used the phrase "modern" cars. There weren't a whole lot of any large sedans running sub-6 second 0-60mph and such at that point save for some Bimmer M5s and maybe a handful of others.

Dale's Mercedes S-class is, as he's described it, very fast and quite the sleeper. So the point is nobody realizes what they're sitting next to at a traffic light, on the highway, etc. until they suddenly see it gone 1/4 mile ahead of them and they can't comprehend how it did 65-165 faster than you can say "Kraftfahrzeug-Haftpflichtversicherung" (translate that if you want to see the hidden joke).

Exactly. The 90s S600 is not fast by modern standards. None of the vehicles that my wife and I have in the stable are fast by modern standards, but they are more satisfying to drive in many ways. It's completely about the sound.

I also agree with the point that on a big luxury land barge, the novelty of that may wear off as it sounds very loud from the videos. Even I'm thinking about putting a muffler on the Ram.

I get it, but the sound in that video would kind of eliminate the "sleeper" status wouldn't it? I mean, my '91 Taurus SHO+ was a sleeper in that same regard (although it was a mid-6 sec 0-60 car), but it definitely didn't sound like a F1 car and I wouldn't have wanted to test a Taurus at 150mph+ lol. My FIL has a mid-90s SL600 V12 (one of a few dozen vehicles in his stable), and it's a blast to drive with the V12, despite it not being the fastest thing in his stable by a long shot, and it luckily it doesn't have the exhaust setup from the YouTube video.

I guess I must be the only one here that doesn't like loud pipes. The current generation of Charger/Camaro/Mustang with dual clutch auto transmissions that sound like an industrial rivet guns stuck on full auto does not appeal to me, and are seriously annoying when stuck behind one, or passed by at full throttle.

The guys that run straight pipes on their Harleys and have music blaring at a high enough volume to overcome the engine noise have me baffled. They probably scream in perfectly silent rooms and still can't hear themselves.

I guess I must be the only one here that doesn't like loud pipes. The current generation of Charger/Camaro/Mustang with dual clutch auto transmissions that sound like an industrial rivet guns stuck on full auto does not appeal to me, and are seriously annoying when stuck behind one, or passed by at full throttle.

The guys that run straight pipes on their Harleys and have music blaring at a high enough volume to overcome the engine noise have me baffled. They probably scream in perfectly silent rooms and still can't hear themselves.

For me it's more that I love engine noise. The volume of the engine noise should be appropriate for what it is I'm doing at the time. My Guzzi has straight pipes, I love it like that but wouldn't take it far. The Ram, needs a muffler. The RV I considered straight piping but decided that it would be better to have a muffler on, just a louder (and less restrictive - big thing) than the stock one on there.

I love the sound this S600 makes (as well as the Detroit you sent me, those F1 cars, etc.). Really I wouldn't want that sound in an S600, though.

I once had some bumper stickers printed “LOUD PIPES SERVE LIES” with a crossed out dB symbol. .
Got the middle finger salute from a lot of “bikers”.

Of the 20+ bikes I've owned, I put loud exhaust on three of them. In two of the cases I regretted it pretty quickly as although it sounds cool initially it becomes grating on long rides.

For me, stock is fine.

Of the 20+ bikes I've owned, I put loud exhaust on three of them. In two of the cases I regretted it pretty quickly as although it sounds cool initially it becomes grating on long rides.

For me, stock is fine.

I did that on my RC51. It had what amounted to straight pipe (if anything louder than straight pipe) and it was ridiculous. I put stock pipes on and was very happy with that. Similarly, my VTX 1800 had aftermarket pipes on it that were truly obnoxious, and put stock pipes on it.

But I'll submit it does depend on the bike/vehicle and how you use it. I can't remember what year your current BMW is, but in the case of my Guzzi my real problem was that it was so quiet that I couldn't hear the engine at all at speed, the wind noise was too high. So the straight pipe solution is great, I never ride this bike more than 40 miles at a time anyway. Your BMW has much better wind protection (as in, it actually has it) and you use for long distances, so it's a different matter. My Harley's exhaust might be considered a hair on the loud side for long trips, but the bigger issue at this point is the windshield I have on it currently (a bad height that causes a lot of helmet buffeting).

Oh, and @Bill 's mention of the 20+ bikes got me thinking. I've owned 9 bikes total. If you count my wife's bikes, add in another 4, and for a while in PA there were another 2-3 that lived at my house and I essentially used as my own. So depending on how you want to count, anywhere from 9-16 bikes.

Of course Bill has probably put more miles on one of his bikes than I've put on all of the above listed combined.

The BMW actually sounds really good from the riders seat, so I've left it stock. The bike that I did leave aftermarket mufflers on was the Harley FLHX. It had Jackpot slip ons, they sounded great without being obnoxious. And it does depend on bike and purpose, but generally I've been fine staying stock.

The BMW actually sounds really good from the riders seat, so I've left it stock. The bike that I did leave aftermarket mufflers on was the Harley FLHX. It had Jackpot slip ons, they sounded great without being obnoxious. And it does depend on bike and purpose, but generally I've been fine staying stock.

Right, Harleys I find are bikes for which the stock pipes are really not great usually. You get the Harley sound (assuming you like it) but the stock pipes don't just make it quiet, they also make it sound neutered. My guess is it's a combination of meeting DB requirements and also marketing, as in specifically doing it that way to help encourage people to spend money on the Screamin' Eagle exhaust.

Interestingly, my wife's 2007 FLHX (which was an Ultra Classic like mine, but converted) has stock pipes and it sounds a good sum better than my 2009 Ultra Classic did stock.

Back