3rd Class 3 - 5 years to BasicMed

Oliver Reid

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Oliver Reid
Hi,
The FAA lists my last medical as: Medical Date: 6/2003. Am I correct that, that's the date of my last medical? and it would normally have expired on the last date of June 2006 (I was under 40 at this time). Its also my understanding that in 2008 the FAA made the 3rd Class medical retroactively valid for five years. Confirming, that this means that my 3rd class medical would have expired on the last day of June 2008?

Hi,
The FAA lists my last medical as: Medical Date: 6/2003. Am I correct that, that's the date of my last medical? and it would normally have expired on the last date of June 2006 (I was under 40 at this time). Its also my understanding that in 2008 the FAA made the 3rd Class medical retroactively valid for five years. Confirming, that this means that my 3rd class medical would have expired on the last day of June 2008?
At that time even <40 y.o the third class was only good for two years. So that doesn't Make it.

Last day was 06/30/2005. About 13 months short.

Hi,
thanks for the quick response, I can't post links because I'm a new user, but if you google: GOOD NEWS: FAA EXTENDS FIRST, THIRD CLASS MEDICALS. The article starts out by stating "Pilots under age 40 can save a trip to the AME. On July 24, the FAA will extend the duration of third class medicals from 36 calendar months to 60 calendar months (five years) and first class medicals from six calendar months to 12 calendar months for pilots under age 40."

So I'm under the impression if you were under 40, 3rd class medicals were 3 years?.

Yes, the third class went to three years somewhere around 1998. I remember I got one three year term on mine between the time the rule was changed and the time I turned 40 (December of 1999).

Hi,

If I'm reading things correctly ...

If your 3rd class medical from June 2003 had been good for 60 calendar months, it would have expired at the end of June 2008.

The rule extending 3rd class medial duration for under-40s went into effect in July 2008.
So ... your under-40 3rd class expired at the end of June 2006 and was not "re-activated" by this rule.

https://www.govinfo.gov/content/pkg/FR-2008-07-24/pdf/E8-16911.pdf

Joe, again, there were TWO extensions for the third class under 40. The first went to three years, the second went to five.

Hi,
You missed the BasicMed cutoff by a month. You did not have a valid medical certificate on July 15, 2006. This is addressed in the BasicMed advisory circular, AC 68-1A.

P.S. The extension to 5 years took place in July of 2008. While the rule allowed grandfathering, in July 2008 your medical still would have expired June 2008, you there would be no point at which your medical would have been valid after July 14th, 2006. It's a bit convoluted, for sure, but this is how the statute was worded.

Last edited:
You missed the BasicMed cutoff by a month. You did not have a valid medical certificate on July 15, 2006. This is addressed in the BasicMed advisory circular, AC 68-1A.

P.S. The extension to 5 years took place in July of 2008. While the rule allowed grandfathering, in July 2008 your medical still would have expired June 2008, you there would be no point at which your medical would have been valid after July 14th, 2006. It's a bit convoluted, for sure, but this is how the statute was worded.

I must be misinterpreting this. If his medical expired in June 2008, wouldn't it have been valid then in 2006?

I must be misinterpreting this. If his medical expired in June 2008, wouldn't it have been valid then in 2006?
It didn't. It expired in June 2006. A rule making in July 2008 extended the validity of medical certificates to five years. It included a provision to grandfather medicals issued before July 2008. The grandfathering provision never would have revalidated his medical, therefore he doesn't meet the requirement of 61.23(c)(3)(i)(B) that he have held a medical certificate at any point after July 14, 2006. One is not considered to hold a medical at a period in time if the medical is not valid at that time.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back