Evoluent Mouse Driver issue

Crashnburn

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
Crashnburn
I have an ergonomic Evoluent Vertical Mouse. It has programmable shortcut buttons that save a lot of movement. Everything was working well until my computer was hijacked by a malevolent website that installed ransomware on my computer. I tried everything I could think of to defeat the ransomware, but those b-turds were too skilled. Luckily, I have a year's service agreement with BestBuy, and they were able to defeat it.

But, there's an issue. The ergonomic mouse's button programming doesn't last through a warm, or cold boot. It might be something messed up in the registry, as the button's programming persists through uninstalling and re-installing. I'm not comfortable with just searching through the registry, much less modifying it on my own.

Has anyone here run into a similar problem?

I'm using an Evoluent also, but have not yet experienced that issue.
Have you spoken with Evoluent? I did call them once and they were quick to answer, although it was about 3 yrs ago.
My problem was one of the little micro switches had went bad. I managed to fix it, but it took some tenacity and tripling up on the reading glasses. Their solution was of course to buy a new mouse (out of warranty), but being software related, they might have a removal tool or something better than just the standard uninstall program. Maybe worth a shot if you haven't done so yet.

Does it remove this folder during uninstall?
C:\Program Files (x86)\Evoluent

Last edited:
I have an ergonomic Evoluent Vertical Mouse. It has programmable shortcut buttons that save a lot of movement. Everything was working well until my computer was hijacked by a malevolent website that installed ransomware on my computer. I tried everything I could think of to defeat the ransomware, but those b-turds were too skilled. Luckily, I have a year's service agreement with BestBuy, and they were able to defeat it.

But, there's an issue. The ergonomic mouse's button programming doesn't last through a warm, or cold boot. It might be something messed up in the registry, as the button's programming persists through uninstalling and re-installing. I'm not comfortable with just searching through the registry, much less modifying it on my own.

Has anyone here run into a similar problem?
What operating system? Assuming Windows 10, do a search (bottom left screen) for "device manager" without the quotes. Select "mice and other pointing devices" and see if it shows in there. Try "update driver" to get the current version.

What operating system? Assuming Windows 10, do a search (bottom left screen) for "device manager" without the quotes. Select "mice and other pointing devices" and see if it shows in there. Try "update driver" to get the current version.
I'm using an Evoluent also, but have not yet experienced that issue.
Have you spoken with Evoluent? I did call them once and they were quick to answer, although it was about 3 yrs ago.
My problem was one of the little micro switches had went bad. I managed to fix it, but it took some tenacity and tripling up on the reading glasses. Their solution was of course to buy a new mouse (out of warranty), but being software related, they might have a removal tool or something better than just the standard uninstall program. Maybe worth a shot if you haven't done so yet.

Does it remove this folder during uninstall?
C:\Program Files (x86)\Evoluent

Thanks for the responses.
Windows 10, sorry for not mentioning it before. I have the latest driver, and it works after installation, but not after a reboot/restart. I manually removed the folder. I emailed Evoluent with this problem immediately after posting here.

I have dealt with something like this before. Here are my suggestions:
Download a free virus check system called RogueKiller. This software has unique approaches that identify hard to find viruses and get rid of them. I know that you said that someone had already done this, but use this software just to be sure. https://www.adlice.com/roguekiller/

Next, download some software called Tweaking.com Windows Repair Tool and follow screen prompts. The software will want you to do a safe-boot before it starts. This sofware may take a long time to run (up to a couple of days), especially if you have an old slow computer. This software will do numerous checks on Windows software and restore all the software to default settings. It is awsome software and has resurrected some really hosed computers for me. https://www.tweaking.com/

Post back, if you still have any problems and we can try some additional steps such as looking for proxy connections to your network.

Last edited:
I have dealt with something like this before. Here are my suggestions:
Download a free virus check system called RogueKiller. This software has unique approaches that identify hard to find viruses and get rid of them. I know that you said that someone had already done this, but use this software just to be sure. https://www.adlice.com/roguekiller/

Next, download some software called Tweaking.com Windows Repair Tool and follow screen prompts. The software will want you to do a safe-boot before it starts. This sofware may take a long time to run (up to a couple of days), especially if you have an old slow computer. This software will do numerous checks on Windows software and restore all the software to default settings. It is awsome software and has resurrected some really hosed computers for me. https://www.tweaking.com/

Post back, if you still have any problems and we can try some additional steps such as looking for proxy connections to your network.
Thanks very much. I found a temporary work-a-round for the Evoluent problem. Instead of shutting the computer down when I'm done, I put it to sleep.
I also found that the virus corrupted my Zoom software, so I thought I needed to do a full rebuild, but if this works, I won't have to.

Last edited:
Well, I did all the stuff that was suggested in the websites you suggested, and fixed a lot of problems with the computer. Unfortunately, the Evoluent mouse driver issue is still a problem.

Pursue Evoluent support. They will either be able to tell you how to do a more complete uninstallation or more likely they will have a tool. It is very common that Windows uninstallers don't work properly. There is a phone number on their web site if the email is not helping.

I recently found an email from Evoluent. After I told them the listener and apps tray weren’t running, they suggested I check the Startup Folder. They were disabled for startup. I enabled them on startup, and that solved the problem.

Thanks everyone for your suggestions; they’ll make it easier to fix problems that FSX:SE causes. That’s another thread.

Back