O-200- to filter, or not to filter?

Do I buy an oil filter?

• Definitely, stop being cheap

Votes: 12 80.0%
  • Nah, you'll be fine- Less metal to find.

Votes: 3 20.0%
  • No idea... I pay someone to change my oil

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

VictorMike

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
VictorMike
Can I get away with 25 hour oil change intervals on just an oil screen or should I install one of those tempest oil filter adapters and still change the oil at 25 hours? I'm curious to hear about some actual field experience going with either.

I will probably pick one up regardless, but I am curious to hear about the difference it will make in the field.

No question the filter will be better. I had one on my o200 and changed the oil every 50 hours.

Filters don't get everything, they do a better job than the screen alone. Your going to pay for a filter along with the oil in the filter, change the oil 25hr with screen or 50 with filter, go with the 25hr nothing is better than clean new oil.

I have a filter on mine and recommend it, but if you add one there are two things you should see to:

1. Make sure you take out the screen when you add the filter.

2. There is a filter adapter that has had a serious AD put on it in the last month or two. Do some research and make sure you don’t use that one.

Last edited:
I have a filter on mine and recommend it, but if you add one there are two things you should see to:

1. Make sure you take out the screen when you add the liter.

2. There is a filter adapter that has had a serious AD put on it in the last month or two. Do some research and make sure you don’t use that one.

Yeah I saw the proposed AD when AOPA put out a heads up a couple months back. I don't *think* the Tempest TAF-L is included in that AD even though the STC is the same as the F&M ones. Someone correct me if I'm wrong and save me some trouble.

Yes,I believe that the AOPA notice applied to one made by Stratus or some similar name.

Just get a plane that uses a lot of oil then it always has fresh.

Reactions: YKA

1. Make sure you take out the screen when you add the filter.

Is #1 legit? I don't think you're supposed to do that.

Removing the filter was something spoken about at a Mai ten episodes seminar at the Cessna120-140 National event.

Is #1 legit? I don't think you're supposed to do that.

My Lyc O-360 has two screens. Suction screen in the sump and a pressure screen in the accessory housing. Any approved method for adding a filter to mine replaces the housing for the pressure screen, so there's no way to keep that screen and add a filter. The suction screen in the sump definitely stays, and gets inspected at every oil change, along with the filter.

No clue if that holds true for your O-200

I've seen this mentioned in other places and had an IA tell me this the other day. I suspect folks are referencing the recent NTSB notification on the some of the Tempest/Stratus (previously F&M) oil filter adapters and the NTSB pressuring the FAA to release on AD on these.
There's nothing on the FAA's AD search about an AD on these, not even a proposed AD.....yet.

Yes. The installation instructions for the o-200 oil filter STC I installed specifically state that it needs to be removed.
I've seen this mentioned in other places and had an IA tell me this the other day. I suspect folks are referencing the recent NTSB notification on the some of the Tempest/Stratus (previously F&M) oil filter adapters and the NTSB pressuring the FAA to release on AD on these.
There's nothing on the FAA's AD search about an AD on these, not even a proposed AD.....yet.
There is no AD on the 0-200 oil filter they don't incorporate a crush gasket.

https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/eppages/fmengadapter.php

The early versions do not incorporate that phrase the screen can be retained.

I installed the filter housing in my O-320. Still change oil every 25hrs, I change the filter every other oil change or at 50hrs.

The O-200; like most engines , has a Suction Screen.

It’s function is to prevent large particles from entering and damaging the Pump.

However; you must drop the Sump to get to it.

Some Inspection Checklists have an interval to do this.

Not easy so it’s seldom done.

My suggestion to to use a paint strainer when drawing the oil.

Anything you find in the Filter has already been through the Pump.

Be it 25 or 50 hours, that is still very low hours between oil changes. Most engines go hundreds of hours between oil changes. So I wouldn't worry about doing it every 50, instead of 25.

Back