Browser puzzler

dtuuri

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
dtuuri
I like Edge, but it doesn't like me. It strips the slide player from my presentations at AvClicks.com so there's no way to advance the slides and only the first slide is visible. That is, unless I drag the window to my second monitor and refresh, then Voila! the player appears and I can navigate my presentation normally. I can even drag it back to my laptop display and continue. If I try to open another presentation, though, I need to drag it to my second monitor and repeat the process. Firefox works on my laptop display without all this monkey motion, as does IE. This problem has occurred before, then corrected itself and reappeared after ( I assume) a Windows 10 update. Does anybody know what might be going on and how I can fix it?

Can’t help with that specific one, but we’ve decided to recommend against Edge in the corporate world.

Way too buggy and the tight integration with Microsoft accounts even changes security behaviors depending upon how much the company paid in ransoms to Microsoft. Definitely not what one wants in a browser.

It had promise as a Chrome derivative with added security controls but in practice it’s a total mess.

In other words, best answer is... avoid it.

Put some browser detection in your code, if it detects Edge tell the user no bueno and use something that isn't a POS.

By the way I should have mentioned there’s two completely separate browsers called Edge too. The original and now the “New Edge” which is the Chromium based one.

Guessing which a user is using without browser detection code is impossible. They have no damn clue.

Another reason to avoid. You’ll drive yourself insane asking in email, phone, chat, whatever...

Idiots at Microsoft. Never name two completely different things the same name. So freaking dumb.

Well, the strange thing is it apparently only does it to me because I have an extra monitor. Even then it has worked correctly, but it suddenly started doing this. Then it self-corrected and now again, it's up to the same old tricks. Even if I unplug the second monitor and reboot. Grrr. I do have New Edge, didn't even think it was possible not to. Don't they upgrade, like it or not?

I do have New Edge, didn't even think it was possible not to. Don't they upgrade, like it or not?

Depends. Users on Pro instead of Home have a multitude of options for delaying various updates depending on whether attached to Active Directory, or Azure AD, and even what amount of money the company spent on licensing things like Intune.

Answer: Impossible to answer without a damn flowchart. Ha.

Forgive me, I'm unfamiliar with your site. I get this in edge when I choose slides. Is there supposed to be a navigation panel? Clicking the slide advances it for me.

upload_2021-1-22_15-40-5.png

Forgive me, I'm unfamiliar with your site. I get this in edge when I choose slides. Is there supposed to be a navigation panel? Clicking the slide advances it for me.

View attachment 93434
The "player" is the border there around the slide, so yours is rendering correctly. On my laptop display it's missing and the slides don't advance:

New Edge snip.jpg
If I drag to my external monitor and refresh it looks and works like yours, even after I drag it back to my onboard display. o_O

Last edited:
Can you share a screenshot of the malformed laptop display? mine is from a dual 4K machine, but mucking around with screen sizes didn't break it for me.

I assume no errors in the developer console? (F12)

Can you share a screenshot of the malformed laptop display? mine is from a dual 4K machine, but mucking around with screen sizes didn't break it for me.

I assume no errors in the developer console? (F12)
Post #8. My webmaster says it's Edge and I should use something else. But I LIKE Edge.

Post #8. My webmaster says it's Edge and I should use something else. But I LIKE Edge.

Oh, I see it now.

It looks like some sort of mobile CSS media query has either misdetected your browser or somehow thinks it's a mobile device. Weird. I assume you get that "hamburger menu" icon if you use a phone browser?

What resolution is your primary laptop screen? I made some tiny edge windows and couldn't get anything like that to appear, but will poke at it a bit more

Your webmaster is lazy :)

I assume you get that "hamburger menu" icon if you use a phone browser?
Yes, I believe so, but I don't use a phone browser myself to double check.

What resolution is your primary laptop screen? I made some tiny edge windows and couldn't get anything like that to appear, but will poke at it a bit more
1366 x 768.

I see he's generating content with iSpring -- you might check what version of iSpring your LMS content was generated in, it may need re-output for edge support? Possibly Related: https://community.ispringsolutions.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=6496
Thanks. That's an old conversation re: an old version of iSpring. I am the one who uses iSpring, btw, not my webmaster. I've had conversations with tech support and they see no problems at their end with how the tutorials open. Also have talked with HP who says the same thing, blames Microsoft. I've reported the problem to Microsoft but never got any reply. I see why nobody likes them. I thought maybe somebody here might have seen this issue before.

I've reported the problem to Microsoft but never got any reply. I see why nobody likes them. I thought maybe somebody here might have seen this issue before.

It’s ok. You could report similar to Apple and they’d ignore you too. Haha.

It’s an industry problem, really.

All the OS is there for anymore, to them, is to gather data about you. Especially New Edge.

Microsoft didn’t want Google getting all of it. They were jealous. So take Chromium and modify it to make it send data home to papa instead of mama...

It’s ok. You could report similar to Apple and they’d ignore you too. Haha.

It’s an industry problem, really.

All the OS is there for anymore, to them, is to gather data about you. Especially New Edge.

Microsoft didn’t want Google getting all of it. They were jealous. So take Chromium and modify it to make it send data home to papa instead of mama...
Why don't one of you brainiacs write a "fake news" program that we can use to send gibberish to papa and mama? You know, things like Bill Gates' cell phone number.

Why don't one of you brainiacs write a "fake news" program that we can use to send gibberish to papa and mama? You know, things like Bill Gates' cell phone number.

There are some plugins that do some of that.

Not worth it though.

It’s kinda like ad blockers. They work for a little while then another coder comes up with a way around the ad blocker.

Never ending.

The only way to avoid it is not to use internet things that are “free”.

If it’s free and you don’t know how it’s being paid for, you’re the commodity being bought and sold...

Now that the OS makers have figured out that they can block it themselves by sending it to themselves, they can both claim that they’re “protecting” you while they sell the data.

New revenue stream for them.

Made Google nervous enough they started doing naughty anti-trust things to save the falling ad revenues.

About the best you can do these days is the Brave browser.

The only way to avoid it is not to use internet things that are “free”.

If it’s free and you don’t know how it’s being paid for, you’re the commodity being bought and sold...
Not my website. :) I'm gonna hafta start chargin' so folks won't be afraid.

Not my website. :) I'm gonna hafta start chargin' so folks won't be afraid.

LOL. So how do you pay for it? :)

I always joke with the execs, “IT isn’t free. Unless it’s making or saving us money you shouldn’t buy that...”

Some of them get it.

But your free site is innocuous compared to most... :)

Certain aviation online personalities, they’re using the “free” websites to scoop up contact info for sure... the free stuff is coming from their marketing budget.

Back