Missing striker plate on 1974 Piper Warrior

P51P28

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
ZD
Good morning everyone. Could anyone provide some feedback on a missing door striker plate on this 1974 Piper Warrior? It looks like there was something in place but was removed. There is a latch/tongue that retracts on the bottom of the door (see attached pic) but there's no strike on the frame. Consequently, it's boogering up the sheet metal. Thoughts?

imageedit_10_9971293185.jpg

IMG_3015.JPG

Could anyone provide some feedback on a missing door striker plate on this 1974 Piper Warrior?
Should be listed in the IPC. It usually has slotted mount holes to help rig the door latching. Unless they removed the striker as a shortcut to make the door fit/latch.

Check your parts manual and order a new striker plate. You can see the outline of the striker plate in the picture you posted. There is likely an indention in air frame between the two screws on the lower part and you may need a nibler to cut a hole in the aluminum trim below the door.

Check your parts manual and order a new striker plate. You can see the outline of the striker plate in the picture you posted. There is likely an indention in air frame between the two screws on the lower part and you may need a nibler to cut a hole in the aluminum trim below the door.

Thank you. I eventually found the part in the IPC. $35 for it from Texas Air Salvage. Tried to get them to go down on the price but they declined. Oh well, at least I found one. :popcorn:

Thank you. I eventually found the part in the IPC. $35 for it from Texas Air Salvage. Tried to get them to go down on the price but they declined. Oh well, at least I found one. :popcorn:
If you are calling them about some oddball part, that means you are in need and they know that. Besides, $35....I'd be happy that someone had one.

If you are calling them about some oddball part, that means you are in need and they know that. Besides, $35....I'd be happy that someone had one.

Agreed. Received the part in the mail yesterday. Great experience with Texas Air Salvage.

When you first install the striker plate, make sure your baggage door is open. The lower latch can hang up on that plate and make the door unopenable. Look at the plunger that goes in the plate and make sure it's not got a groove worn in it.

Did you try to price a new one? I'll bet $35 sounds really nice if you do.

Didn't even try to look for a new one. ;)
I have had some good experiences buying new parts from Skytech, Inc. They have a large parts network and look for the best prices. I had to replace a split switch switch for my strobes on my Warrior. New price was $36; salvage yard price $50.

I have had some good experiences buying new parts from Skytech, Inc. They have a large parts network and look for the best prices. I had to replace a split switch switch for my strobes on my Warrior. New price was $36; salvage yard price $50.

Thanks a lot for the tip. I'll check them out.

Just got a response back from Skytech on this part. $35 NEW. $35 from Texas Air Salvage.:dunno: Lesson learned.

Back