Was Called a Gullible Moron Today

This is a reason I believe charitable acts should be done in secret. Those that give and have to talk about it are doing so for recognition. The ones that give in silence receive their own inner benefit.

Besides, any financial, income, purchases, giving, should all be kept private.
I agree. It’s like voting. It is private business that no one wants to hear about.

something has changed in our society. People have no boundaries anymore. Seriously, people just need to be quiet about some things.

Well, I’d say there’s more schools of thought than that. For example, one would be that charities should be doing this work, and governments shouldn’t have anything to do with it. In other words, people should be helping causes they believe in voluntarily rather than the government forcing you to help causes you may not believe in.
Thank you. Couldn't agree with you more strongly. An additional fact is that we, individually, are MUCH more capable of helping others more efficiently and at less cost than the government is. When I give a dollar to my neighbor, he gets a dollar. If I give a dollar to the government to help my neighbor, my neighbor will be lucky to end up with five cents of it.

I agree. It’s like voting. It is private business that no one wants to hear about.

something has changed in our society. People have no boundaries anymore. Seriously, people just need to be quiet about some things.
Someone demanded that I tell them how I voted. I refused. So they unfriended me. It didn't even get to the litmus test - if I wouldn't tell, then I couldn't be a friend.

There's too little privacy in today's society.

Someone demanded that I tell them how I voted. I refused. So they unfriended me. It didn't even get to the litmus test - if I wouldn't tell, then I couldn't be a friend.

There's too little privacy in today's society.
I know a woman that watched as her parents were shot in the street because of their political affiliation. Nazi’s were very committed. Voting is a very private concern for her. Interesting comment she made one day as we watched the news. She turned off the tv, sat quietly for a moment and said “no need to watch anymore. We already know how this ends.”

Crazy times we are watching unfold. I’m glad to have a nice quiet spot to talk airplanes and not have anyone ask me how I voted or be able to “cancel” me because they figure it out somehow.

If you hand over your life savings to some TV preacher, you're a gullible moron. If you give some money to a legit organization you care about, it makes you a good human.
I was wondering if gramps or a close friend was triggered because had been taken in by one of those mega-church preachers raising money for a 4th bizjet, or one of those political populists raising money for a "cause" and then spending it on a yacht.

Reactions: YKA
Someone demanded that I tell them how I voted.
Wow! That would be considered insanely rude among everyone I know in Canada, not too different from asking a casual acquaintance if he was circumcised (maybe it's equally rude in the U.S.; I don't know).

It's common to ask someone if they voted, but not how they voted. We also don't register voters' political affiliations, so there's no equivalent of a "registered Republican/Democrat" here.

My girlfriend's parents and grandfather were over for dinner, and they liked our new puppy as well. My GF mentioned that I got a golden retriever in part because of my friends guide dog being the same breed, and how much I like it. Then she added that I donate yearly to a charity that raises guide dogs for the blind. Well her grandfather blew a gasket, and started yelling and calling me names.

Wow, that is a bummer, that guy sound bat**** crazy. Peter mentioned about family dynamics and commitment, so keep that in mind as you move on with this GF. That said, don't put up with crap from anyone. Not sure how old you are, but as I've aged I have a low tolerance for crap like that. Understanding that this is you GF's family I probably would have let the outburst finish, then said "Well, that was awkward, sorry you feel that way, excuse me, I'm going to double up this year's contribution." Then graciously left. Sound like gramps is getting a little demented.

what good charities do isn’t the government’s job in the first place. We all have a moral requirement - but not a compulsion - to help those less fortunate. We apply judgement as to who is really needy and when that is in private hands, it seems to work. In government hands, it is almost always corrupt.
This ^^^^ I remind my kids that paying your taxes is not charity, nor does it fulfil any obligation you feel to help others.

This is a reason I believe charitable acts should be done in secret. Those that give and have to talk about it are doing so for recognition.
I think there are other, valid, reasons to talk about donations, at least with certain people...maybe in conversation with someone who is of like mind, but doesn’t know about a particular charity that they might like to donate to. Or maybe someone you don’t know is of like mind, but may be. “Have you heard of the National Association of Honest Politicians? They help support politicians who can’t get jobs because they’re not pathological liars. I donate to them once in a while,” seems less offensive than “Have you considered donating to the NAHP?”
I remind my kids that paying your taxes is not charity, nor does it fulfil any obligation you feel to help others.
Quoted just for context. ;)

Well the preacher kept right on saying that all I had to do was send
Ten dollars to the church of the Sacred Bleeding Heart Of Jesus
Located somewhere in Los Angeles, California
And next week they'd say my prayer on the radio
And all my dreams would come true

There's a term for that now: Prosperity theology (it's the exact opposite of the poverty that the gospels claim Jesus taught, but that doesn't seem to bother its practitioners much).

Today, I was called a 'Gullible Moron' for donating money to a charity. So my question is this a common way of thinking, or just a grumpy old man who needed to be rude?

I tend to think that way, privately. Mostly because I think if you can't make a difference to your cause directly and personally, then stroking the check is just purchasing conscience credits, and not actually making you a better person engaged in a problem to solve. Or said differently, donations of time vasly exceed donations of treasure in my book.

It's insanely rude and unthinkable to me to actually say any of that aloud to someone. I would donate treasure, but not time, to a charity founded to smack whoever said that to you in the mouth. :D

I tend to think that way, privately. Mostly because I think if you can't make a difference to your cause directly and personally, then stroking the check is just purchasing conscience credits, and not actually making you a better person engaged in a problem to solve. Or said differently, donations of time vasly exceed donations of treasure in my book.

It's insanely rude and unthinkable to me to actually say any of that aloud to someone. I would donate treasure, but not time, to a charity founded to smack whoever said that to you in the mouth. :D

Everyone does what they can do. Most of us aren't idle rich sitting around a pool while writing checks, we have jobs, family obligations, etc and may not at the moment have the availability to donate time but we have other means to contribute.

In the case of the OP perhaps he doesn't have time to be a foster for a Guide Dog puppy so he supports the organization in a different way.

Personally I am a big supporter of Tunnel to Towers Foundation because I lost good friends who were NYFD on 9/11 so I have a personal connection to this charity but I can't pay off a mortgage by myself for a fallen First Responder/Military personnel.

To each his own

Everyone does what they can do. Most of us aren't idle rich sitting around a pool while writing checks, we have jobs, family obligations, etc and may not at the moment have the availability to donate time but we have other means to contribute.

I don't think we're disagreeing, really. Time is precious. Everyone should spend it on meaningful things.

Organized Charities seem to recognize the dilemma and offer the conscience buyout for those who want to do good, but don't want it so much as to contribute their actual time. So here's a way to "have your cake and eat it too", with a 49% convenience fee.

I am likely more galvanized on this topic than many, as I know a lot of people who stroke the check purely for the virtue-signaling social benefits and could not care less about the causes in play, and those people disgust me.

"I don't care if it rains or freezes, 'long as I got my plastic Jesus riding on the dashboard of my car..."

I know a lot of people who stroke the check purely for the virtue-signaling social benefits and could not care less about the causes in play, and those people disgust me.
Do you feel the same about the ones who contribute anonymously (or at least, don't tell everyone about it)?

This is a reason I believe charitable acts should be done in secret. Those that give and have to talk about it are doing so for recognition. The ones that give in silence receive their own inner benefit.

Besides, any financial, income, purchases, giving, should all be kept private.
I don't agree completely. If I tell you I give $XX,XXX to a charity, I'm probably looking for you to pat me on the back. I do give money, not saying how much, to 2 charities I mentioned above. If I tell you about these organizations, it's because I believe in what they are doing and I hope others would consider donating to them. I don't need any recognition.

Sounds to me like they did you a favor.

Wow! That would be considered insanely rude among everyone I know in Canada, not too different from asking a casual acquaintance if he was circumcised (maybe it's equally rude in the U.S.; I don't know).
Yeah... that's right up there with asking how much money you make. In most parts of the country, it's a huge no-no.

I need to step up my charitable giving. I do check out the "charities" pretty thoroughly, though. I gave some to a very well known national outfit, then found out that they were blowing millions on providing a small group of upper echelon people with a lavish lifestyle instead of doing what they said they were doing. Then we found out that our local Goodwill was doing the same, with a director making about a million a year and a bunch of exec getting paid over $100K each.

I'm a whole lot more selective now.

Today, I was called a 'Gullible Moron' for donating money to a charity. So my question is this a common way of thinking, or just a grumpy old man who needed to be rude?

Guide Dogs for the Blind is a very worthwhile charity, and I applaud your generosity. Your GF's grandfather is a grumpy old man.

Goldens are the best.

View attachment 93372

Good man! ASPCA gets whatever's left when I flat-line. (I hope that's a few years away!)

I agree that it's your call how you spend you money. I would also say that a few are taking some cheap shots at religion and as much as I agree with the sentiment that these rip off artist should be stopped, again it is the right of any person to be taken to the cleaners by shysters if that's what they want to do with their money. So if religion and politics are off the table then that has to apply to even those that most agree are receiving money through dishonest means as there may be some in this group that fall for the deception. It's their money and their choice.

And speaking of seeing eye dogs ...

There was a blindman in the city that had his dog by the tail and was swinging it around in circles. When the police arrived to ask him what in the world he was doing he stated, "I was just taking a little look around." ;)

Charity is a private transaction IMO, talk about it and that's what happens.

This. Ain’t nobody’s business who we give money to. We might tell someone if asked, depending on who and why they’re asking.

It’s our job to check the charity’s financials to see if they’re a non-profit scam sending most of the money to execs or a legitimate charity spending it all on real needs. Again none of anyone else’s business.

If you invite others to critique your personal finances, they’ll certainly do it. No surprises there.

Most of the time you can shut them up by simply asking them what their charitable giving percentage of income is on their budget. They’ll blink and say, “budget?”

But usually it’s not worth the time.

A healthy person would say, “I don’t agree with your choice of charity but would love to know how you afford to give that much. I want to give that much to a better charity that I like.”

The unhealthy, “You shouldn’t give to them!” means they have all sorts of other fiscal problems and attitudes they haven’t dealt with yet. Usually. Unless they send along a report of honest to goodness financials and fraud by the charity.

I agree that it's your call how you spend you money. I would also say that a few are taking some cheap shots at religion ...
They most definitely are, and most definitely should be stopped from doing so by the mods. Based on past practice, shots at religion here are allowed to a much greater degree than posts by believers defending their beliefs.

My girlfriend's parents and grandfather were over for dinner, and they liked our new puppy as well. My GF mentioned that I got a golden retriever in part because of my friends guide dog being the same breed, and how much I like it. Then she added that I donate yearly to a charity that raises guide dogs for the blind. Well her grandfather blew a gasket, and started yelling and calling me names.

Your charity is a nobel cause, if they do a good job with your money. (I have no reason to believe otherwise) You are not a moron for wanting to help a nobel cause, just don't sell the farm. As to the insults I wouldn't worry about it. Grow some calluses on your skin.

Right up there with the "No Regerts" tatoo...

I don't agree completely. If I tell you I give $XX,XXX to a charity, I'm probably looking for you to pat me on the back. I do give money, not saying how much, to 2 charities I mentioned above. If I tell you about these organizations, it's because I believe in what they are doing and I hope others would consider donating to them. I don't need any recognition.
That's why I mentioned to my Facebook friends that I was donating my Covid stimulus payment to a specific charity. I was embarrassed when it resulted in recognition!

This is the most important part of what you said. It's your money and it's something close to your heart. It's not for Grandpa to decide.

I've always donated to St. Jude. I believe in them and like what they do with the money.

When I was going through kidney cancer, I was being treated at Johns Hopkins. I rode in a van from the airport to the hospital. On this ride, I met a mother and her young child who was terminal. The van dropped them off at the Ronald McDonald House. Talking to the Mother later, she told me the stay was free to them and really helped her put money toward the treatment needed to extend her son's life. I'm a big guy and not a pretty crier... but my heart was sure touched that day and I now send them donations. My money, my heart.

If I understand correctly, St Jude doesn't charge anything for the children there do they?

The only other item I might add, in addition to the many thoughtful comments above, is to perhaps consider the implications of this in terms of family dynamics and your relationship.

Don’t have any idea how far the GF relationship is along, how serious, behavior of the other parties, etc. But if the GF’s parents have some of the same tendencies you could be living with that for a long time. Only you can decide if important at all, but just something to possible consider.

In May we will have been together for 5 years. GF's parents are really nice, it's the grandfather who I don't like. The GF likes that I donate to the charity, which is why she brought it up, I asked her why she mentioned it, after they left. The only people who knew I donated to it before this dinner, was my GF, and my friend who is blind, and i told her I was thinking about donating to it, and asked if they were good to her when she dealt with them.

Last edited:
Wow, that is a bummer, that guy sound bat**** crazy. Peter mentioned about family dynamics and commitment, so keep that in mind as you move on with this GF. That said, don't put up with crap from anyone. Not sure how old you are, but as I've aged I have a low tolerance for crap like that. Understanding that this is you GF's family I probably would have let the outburst finish, then said "Well, that was awkward, sorry you feel that way, excuse me, I'm going to double up this year's contribution." Then graciously left. Sound like gramps is getting a little demented.

My GF felt terrible after, as did her parents. She mentioned it because she thinks that it's great I give to them every year. As for our ages, my GF is 32, I'm 43. About 10 years ago I became good friends with a blind woman, she is one of my best friends. This is her 2nd guide dog since I've gotten to know her, both golden retrievers, amazing dogs, and a factor for why I got the pup in my avatar pic about 5 weeks ago. Well after my friend got a new guide dog, we were discussing the cost of them, holy crap they are expensive, and many could never afford to just go buy a guide dog, which is why that charity means so much to me!

My GF felt terrible after, as did her parents. She mentioned it because she thinks that it's great I give to them every year. As for our ages, my GF is 32, I'm 43. About 10 years ago I became good friends with a blind woman, she is one of my best friends. This is her 2nd guide dog since I've gotten to know her, both golden retrievers, amazing dogs, and a factor for why I got the pup in my avatar pic about 5 weeks ago. Well after my friend got a new guide dog, we were discussing the cost of them, holy crap they are expensive, and many could never afford to just go buy a guide dog, which is why that charity means so much to me!

Having had a very dear friend who passed away a long time ago who was blind from birth, the amount of difficulty blind folk tolerate — quite often with a never ending smile — amazes me. Always will.

That man had a bigger heart and a stronger work ethic than mountains of acquaintances of mine who are 100% able-bodied. Always held a job and always volunteered an immense amount of time to his own charities.

Funniest thing he ever did was board a city bus and act like he was there to take over for the driver who knew him. Driver played along and acted like he was packing up to get off.

They both died laughing when all the passengers quickly exited via the rear door. LOL. Driver had to get out and tell them it was all just a joke.

Luckily it was well before the social media days where half the passengers would whine online instantly about a two minute delay in their lives, and get the bus driver fired. Most ended up laughing along and the remaining grumps kept it to themselves.

I miss that guy. RIP Bob.

I think it’s nice you’re helping train the dogs. Bob had a dog but never a trained one. Just a companion like the rest of us with pets.

He took better care of the dog than quite a few folk I’ve met over the years, too.

Perhaps also lucky, the dog passed not too long before he did. I don’t think the dog would have understood what was going on being handled by a sighted person. They had communication methods I never quite figured out. Bob knew what that dog was doing and thinking without ever having seen the dog.

^^^^^
Something about that last sentence made me tear-up. Dogs is good people. Sounds like Bobwas one of those rare folks who is up to dog-quality in character.

A few random points. My grandparents generation was born right after the Great Depression. I assume the GF grandfather was born around the same time. Having met many of them when younger a large plurality of them were against most charities, I believe it was because the number of sham charities that came about after the Great Depression.

Raising money for charities is not cheap. When you look at many national charities do not look at just the top line numbers, dig into them. Some such as United Way (they are actually inefficient) actually do almost all find raising even for local organizations at the national level. As a result the national numbers suck in terms of efficacy and make the local look really good. So be sure to get the full picture.

Tim

Sent from my HD1907 using Tapatalk

a few are taking some cheap shots at religion
Not at religion itself (my mom was a lay minister in the United Church of Canada, and I'm deeply proud of the work she and her church did), just at the fraud artists who abuse and exploit religion to extract money from vulnerable people, especially via the so-called "prosperity gospel." The same kinds of fraud artists exist in charity, (alternative) medicine, (populist) politics, and even aviation.

If you don't believe that's true, I'll be happy to sell you a $100 sticker to put on your prop that will reduce your takeoff distance and increase your fuel economy … ;)

A few random points. My grandparents generation was born right after the Great Depression. I assume the GF grandfather was born around the same time.

That is a very important fact that I often forget about, and it goes beyond avoidance of charities. My grandfather was in 8th grade when the GD hit, he had to quit school to work in his father's saw mill as his father could no longer afford to pay help. Grandpa never did go back to school, he worked from that day forward until he was 65, all menial labor type stuff. And, to add to that trauma, they were young adults raising a family when WWII hit. Although my parents were children, they vividly remembered the war years and the lack of everything we take for granted today. Food, gasoline, clothes, cars, tires, etc., were all in short supply and needed for the war effort. Everything had to be mended, repaired, reused, etc., as new wasn't available.

That double whammy of hard times was branded into the minds of these generations, they remained humble and frugal their entire lives, and used their resources until they were truly used up.

I vote for the latter. No matter what he may have thought about the donation, he was rude. What he said to you reflects more on him than it does on you.

I'm not sure if you mentioned how old he is or his cognitive state, but sometimes older people lose their social filter and will blurt out what they really feel.

That double whammy of hard times was branded into the minds of these generations, they remained humble and frugal their entire lives, and used their resources until they were truly used up.
It wasn't always productive, though. The closest I ever came to an argument with my late father-in-law was when I pointed out how much money he was losing driving nearly 50 km each way to save $0.02/litre on gas for his car. The depression generation learned a lot of good values—my father-in-law worked all week as a teacher, then had a second job on the weekend in a warehouse to support his family—but they could sometimes be penny-wise and pound-foolish, as the British say.

Back